favourite bassists

Disincarnate said:
jonas hellborg that guy is frikkin good.....has anyone here heard him?

I've got a couple of his solo CD's. What he does with an acoustic bass is amazing! I highly recommend "The Word".

[Brown Carvin] 1996 Custom Carvin BB75F
I ordered this one from Carvin. I liked the way you could just go option crazy from their catalog. Since all their basses are made only after you order them, in a sense they're all custom. So this one became my new main one.
It's a stained koa wood body. Nice ebony fretless fingerboard, and active electronics. I've updated it with the new wider bridge and added the new preamp circuitry with the mid boost/cut and active/passive knob pull-out on the main volume.
The first appearance was on Elements Of Anger, almost all except for a few songs. It was on most of the Dark Hall cd. All but one song on Feeding The Machine, and entirely all of the Testament album, The Gathering. Also teamed up with it's counterpart to do the Control Denied album, The Fragile Art Of Existence.

[Black Carvin] 1999 Custom Carvin BB75
This one is fairly new and was the christening of my endorsement with Carvin. It was built just in time to make it on The Fragile Art Of Existence (Consumed, intro to What If?, Cut Down and all but the solo on the song The Fragile Art Of Existence where it's counterpart was used on that solo and the rest of the album).
It has active pick-ups, including that new massive music man looking one, and the now standard active/passive knob pull-out. The color is a see-thru black stain on an alder body.

^^from Steve's site, regarding the basses used on TFAoE

my favs or prob

cliff burton
Les claypool
Beefcake The Mighty- and uh zero, glad to see another gwar fan here!
and jaco- my dad greew up with jaco, and played little legue baseball with him

i dont really know much about bass so my opinions dont hold much value, those are just some people who i think sound good.

Steve DiGiorgio
Steve Harris
Sean Malone
John Myung
Kelly Conlon
Ward Evans
Robert Trujillo
Kristoffer Gildenlow
Michael Wilton
Roger Patterson
Tony Levin
Tony Choy
Michael LePond
Jim Sheppard

oh my god! there're so many of these bitches out there you wouldn't count .And mostly everyone has something to say with his 4 strings :) and is good at it.Theres no sense watching the bass players ,just listen to the music they play WITH! other people in the band...

Hmm, I scanned all three pages and it seems no one mentioned John Paul Jones. Guess I'll have to fix that.

besides Steve,
Victor Wooten
Marcus Miller
Martin Mendez
Sean Malone
Jaco Pastorius
John Paul Jones
Paul Chambers
Ron Carter
Charles Mingus
Larry Graham
Rufus Reid
Geddy Lee

Mick Karn (Solo, Japan, various sessions)
Doug Wimbish (Living Colour, Tackhead, sessions)
Tony Levin (Highest paid session musician in the world, solo, King Crimson, Peter Gabriel, also arranges for Pavarotti)
Michael Manring (Solo, Attention Deficit, At War With Self, sessions)
Jonas Hellborg (Solo, sessions, Weather Report)
Eberhard Webber (Solo)
Ian Varialle (Laundry)
Trey Gunn (Solo, King Crimson, sessions)
Sean Malone (Cynic, Gordian Knot, Aghora)
Lars K Norberg (Sprial Architect, Satyricon)
Steve Digiorgio (Stuff)