favourite bassists?

steve-o-

New Metal Member
Aug 9, 2006
[Glasgow] Scotland
many people underestimate what bassists do in a band
they just think theres no talent in it what so ever and it sucks being a bassist myself and i know that its harder to do the same stuff on a bass guitar than the electric

my favourite bassist is gotta be phoenix farrell just cause i like what he comes up with .. and hes a really nice guy aswell

but when it comes to talent
fellipe andreoli
some of yous think that other bassists are better, yea like victor wooten and flea, but they are a diffrent style

heres a video of a battle of solos between the angra bassist and lead guitarist
then hitting into a cover of number of the beast
when i first seen it i was like :OMG:

metal solos at their best
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA4GCvBxbOc

watch and be shocked

hmmm, difficult.... mainly because I'm also guilty of not caring for bassists enough (even though I started playing bass before I picked up the guitar).

I know some pretty good bassists in local bands here (and am in a band with 2 of em).

I've seen quite a few great bassists, but I dont really remember names, with the exception of alex webster (CC) and that guy who was in Death. Jean Baudin (did I spell that correctly?) is pretty damn good, too.

oh, and I once saw this blues-band live where the bassist played a solo in one song.... I was pretty amazed when he started "shredding" at the speed I knew from guitar-guys like Laiho and so on (yea, I was kinda new to metal and guitar back then ;) ) the guy was definitally good!

Jonas Hellborg, Billy Sheehan, Jaco Pastorius, Lauri Porra, Stanley Clark, Steve Harris, Geezer Butler, Thomas Miller

Billy Sheehan
John Myung
Jaco Pastorius
Geezer Butler

And, not so much for talent but....

Tom Araya
LEEEEMMMMYYYY!

No metal bassist but in my opinion the best bassist around is certainly Tony Levin, former bassist of King Crimson. He now has his own band called Tony Levin Band.
He does not use his fingers on the right hand but some kind of sticks.

steve-o- said:
but when it comes to talent
fellipe andreoli
some of yous think that other bassists are better, yea like victor wooten and flea, but they are a diffrent style

I will definitely give you kudos for this post. Angra is an extremely talented band from every aspect, be it guitars (Keiko and Rafael,) drums (Aquiles,) bass (Felipe,) or vocals (Edu.) For some reason, they don't quite get the respect they deserve. I won't say Felipe is one of my very favorite bassists stylistically, but he definitely deserves to be mentioned among the greats out there, just as all of the other guys in Angra do as well.

Bryant

My jaw nearly hit the floor when I saw that video. I thought the bassist from Mudvayne kicked ass but I must say I now have a new hero. I'm a bassist to and I do agree, people take us for granted. Being a girl to people tend to discredit me more. I feel your pain.

mmmmm..bass players...i just love them! Jaco is The Man but there are also other great bass players like Tony Choy,Primus,V.Wooten etc. etc. etc.
sound of bass is soooooooo sexy!!!:cool: