Favourite Cover Versions ?

Carcassian

Utopian Blaster
Oct 6, 2005
The Fens
Just wondering what your fave cover versions are, and why - here are mine:

(in no order)

Corrosion of Conformity - Lord of This World (Black Sabbath) - this is my fave cover version of all time (at the minute!). It improves upon the original with its lazy, uncaring southern feel. Awesome.

Lawnmower Deth - Motorhead (Motorhead) - I love the way that the Deth give the already good humoured original a relatively respectful yet fun filled run through. Great fun.

Cathedral - Rabies (Witchfinder General) - The ultimate respect being paid by a band that has based their entire appeal around that particular riff style popularised (or not!) by Witchfinder General. Again, if anything, better than the original.

Cradle of Filth - For Those Who Died (Sabbat) - Featuring Martin Walkyier was a very wise thing to do - highlighting one of the hidden treasures of black and thrash metal, the brilliantly catchy riffs and sing-along chorus defy a serious topic.

Skyclad - Emerald (Thin Lizzy) - The BEST Thin Lizzy cover ever. Period.

Paradise Lost - Small Town Boy (Jimmy Somerville?) - Brilliantly covered by one of my prevously favourite bands - if only they could become un-rubbish...

Oh, and I forgot:

Exhumed - The Ghoul (Pentagram) - How could Exhumed cover one of dooms best songs? Well, they manage it!

Solitude Aeturnus - No More Tears (Ozzy) - SA prove that a great band can make an average track awesome!

Brutality: electric funeral
Sentenced: the trooper
Solitude Aeturnus: heaven & hell

The Greys said:
Brutality: electric funeral
Sentenced: the trooper
Solitude Aeturnus: heaven & hell

YES YES YES to the Heaven and Hell choice: they were tailor made to cover such epic, brilliant doom material.

NO NO NO to Sentenced - they should NEVER EVER EVER have been allowed to cover Maiden. They're not the worst to cover them, but they sure as hell didn't do a great job of the Trooper.

Haven't heard B's version of Electric Funeral.

Erik said:
well i sure feel unoriginal for mentioning them for the THIRD time in the thread but my standard answer to this question is

solitude aeturnus "hallowed be thy name"

I've not heard that version. Where did you get it?

Cradle of Filth - Hallowed Be Thy Name (Iron Maiden)
Panzerchrist - Metal Church (Metal Church)
Dimmu Borgir - Burn in Hell (Twisted Sister)

Erik said:
metal church "highway star" (deep purple)

god damn

Ah, if it's Purple covers we're after, I've always been a big champion of...

Cancer - Space Truckin' (Deep Purple) - A fantastic, raw yet well produced version capturing the vibe of the original perfectly.

I've been trying to think of more good covers but my mind is drawing blanks. So far all I could think of is:

Death - Painkiller (Judas Priest)
Samael - I Love the Dead (Alice Cooper)

As for Deep Purple covers, Opeth did a rather nice live rendition of Soldier of Fortune that was aired by the BBC recently.

CAIRATH said:
I've been trying to think of more good covers but my mind is drawing blanks. So far all I could think of is:

Death - Painkiller (Judas Priest)
Samael - I Love the Dead (Alice Cooper)

As for Deep Purple covers, Opeth did a rather nice live rendition of Soldier of Fortune that was aired by the BBC recently.

Ah yes, THAT Death cover. I like Death, and SOP in particular (2nd fave after Scream Bloody Gore), but never got why people thought that it was such an amazing cover version; it seemed so authentic to the original as to make it pointless.

I listened to the Solitude Aeturnus song--- pretty good.

When I think of good covers these songs come to mind:

Graveworm- Fear of the Dark (Maiden, I believe)
Hypocrisy- Black Metal (Venom) ---Awesome song
Type O Negative- Cinnamon Girl (Neil Young), Paranoid (Sabbath)
HIM- Wicked Game (that guy...):erk:
Slaughtered Fields of Christ- Children of the Grave (Sabbath)
Nokturnal Mortum- My Journey to the Stars (Burzum) --Though I've never heard the original.

Susperia said:
Graveworm- Fear of the Dark (Maiden, I believe)

I can't believe how many people mistake that song for CoF...despite the numerous comparisons (?), there is quite a difference in sound between them.

Heir Apparent - The Sound Of Silence
Depressive Age - Small Town Boy
Queensryche - Gonna Get Close To You
Psychotic Waltz - Diary Of A Madman
Blind Guardian - To France
Sanctuary - White Rabbit
In The Woods - Epitaph

Ive always been a fan of Cradle of Filths cover of 'No tome to Cry' by the Sisters or mercy.
Also, didnt Cannibal Corpse do a cover of No remorse by metallica???
if so, is it any good