favourite quotes

The one that springs to mind right now is:

"The only real currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with somone when you're uncool"
-Lester Bangs, Almost Famous

That quote DEFINES my youth.

If people longed more peace instead of a new television set, then there would be peace-by John Lennon

That is a rather absurd assumption. It is very naïve to believe that all warfare is caused by materialism, as that quote seems to suggest. There are many causes for warfare, and surely materialism is one of them. However, it is not the sole or even largest explanation for why people fight battles.
It is also absurd to believe that warfare would cease if everyone desired world peace. I certainly desire peace, but I also understand the need to protect one's ideals on the field of battle. Almost all people desire peace under their vision of a perfect world and some people's ideal world would be harmful to the human race, and would result in suffering.
Are you willing to pay for peace with any price?

I am sorry; I just find this most odd coming out of the mouth of John Lennon, as he was a member of a band that was almost literally the musical incarnation of materialism. How many crappy knock-offs and other items of consumer excess bore his name or visage? Surely too many to count. It is all well and good for these millionaire pop stars to speak out about materialism, an promoted peace but perhaps they should put their money where their mouth is.(pun intended) there are millions starving while these "liberal" millionaires live out their lives in decadent luxury…all while they pretend to give a shit.

Your other quote is interesting though. Nietzsche was in many ways a visionary (although eccentric) genius.
"Thus Spoke Zarathustra" is one of my Favorite books. :)

I have many, but here's a few.

"Every profound spirit needs a mask, even more, around every profound spirit a mask is growing continually, owing to the constantly false, namely shallow, interpretation of every word, every step, every sign of life he gives"
- Friedrich Neitzche

"The person who stands up and says 'this is stupid' is either asked to behave, or worse, is greeted with a cheerful 'yes, we know! Isn't it terrific?'"
- Frank Zappa

"Children are naive -- they trust everyone. School is bad enough, but, if you put a child anywhere in the vicinity of a church, you're asking for trouble."
- Frank Zappa

"Whose cruel idea was it for the word 'lisp' to have an 's' in it?"
- George Carlin

"How do blind people know when they are done wiping?"
- George Carlin

"'Oh, Lord, bless this thy hand grenade that with it thou mayest blow thy enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy.' And the Lord did grin, and people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths, and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats, and large..."
- from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"A fool thinks of himself as wise but a wise man knows himself as a fool"
- Satori (originally read it posted by him here, may have been said by someone else originally?)

"All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a philosopher."
- Ambrose Pierce

...I like the Dostoyevsky/Kerouac quote.

Originally posted by Agent Orange

That is a rather absurd assumption. It is very naïve to believe that all warfare is caused by materialism, as that quote seems to suggest. There are many causes for warfare, and surely materialism is one of them. However, it is not the sole or even largest explanation for why people fight battles.
It is also absurd to believe that warfare would cease if everyone desired world peace. I certainly desire peace, but I also understand the need to protect one's ideals on the field of battle. Almost all people desire peace under their vision of a perfect world and some people's ideal world would be harmful to the human race, and would result in suffering.
Are you willing to pay for peace with any price?

I am sorry; I just find this most odd coming out of the mouth of John Lennon, as he was a member of a band that was almost literally the musical incarnation of materialism. How many crappy knock-offs and other items of consumer excess bore his name or visage? Surely too many to count. It is all well and good for these millionaire pop stars to speak out about materialism, an promoted peace but perhaps they should put their money where their mouth is.(pun intended) there are millions starving while these "liberal" millionaires live out their lives in decadent luxury…all while they pretend to give a shit.

Your other quote is interesting though. Nietzsche was in many ways a visionary (although eccentric) genius.
"Thus Spoke Zarathustra" is one of my Favorite books. :)

Lennon never talked about materialism in that quote, but rather of conformism and media manipulation.

Warning, very few of these quotes are insightful or have a deep meaning (I guess some do) But they are all funny :)

"Prayer belongs in public school like facts and logic belong in Fundamentalist Religion!" -Superintendent Chalmers (Simpsons)

"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions --but I don't always agree with them."
-George Bush, US President

"It is wonderful to be here in the great state of Chicago..."
-Dan Quayle

"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made."
-Dan Quayle (I thought those two went good together)

"Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly."
-Batman Costume warning

"Be sure and put some of those neutrons on it."
-Mike Smith, Baseball pitcher, ordering a salad at a restaurant

"You are invited to take advantage of the chambermaid."
-In a Japanese Hotel

"Drop your trousers here for best results."
-In a Bangkok dry cleaner's

"When passenger of foot heave in sight, tootle the horn. Trumpet him melodiously at first, but if he still obstacles your passage then tootle him with vigor."
-From a brochure of a car rental firm in Tokyo

"Pepsi brings your ancestors back from the grave."
-"Pepsi Comes Alive" as originally translated into Chinese

"On the other hand, the early worm gets eaten."
-Anon

"Trust in God, but lock your car."
-Anon

"Horn broken, watch for finger." (Bumper Sticker)

Confuscious say:

Man with hand in pocket feel cocky all day.

Man who stand on toilet high on pot.

It is good for girl to meet boy in park, but better
for boy to park meat in girl.

Man who jizz in cash register come into money.

Man who drop watch in toilet have shitty time.

Man who fart in church must sit in own pew.

Man who finger girl having period get caught red
handed.

Man trapped in pantry have ass in jam.

Baseball wrong--man with four balls cannot walk.

Man who eat many prunes get good run for money.

Man who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly
finger.

Learn to masturbate--come in handy.

Woman who pounce on dead rooster go down on limp
cock.

Man who buy drowned cat must pay for wet pussy.

Virgin like balloon--one prick, all gone.

"Välillä, kun kitarat rämisee niinku niiden kuuluu rämistä (vehkeet paskana) tuntuu että kaikki on OK, mutta kun soitto lakkaa, ihmisten välinen vehkeily vituttaa."
- A friend of mine

A something-like-this translation :
"Occasionally, when guitars rattle like they should rattle (like the amps were broken) it feels to me everything's OK, but when the playing stops all this plotting between people really fucking stirs me up."

"Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly."
I’d say the cake goes to this one...but here’s a few I found just now.

On a Sears hairdryer:
"Do not use while sleeping." No comment. <shakes head>

On a bag of Fritos:
"You could be a winner! No purchase necessary. Details inside."

On a bar of Dial soap:
"Directions: Use like regular soap." Ooooh Okay...like REGULAR soap. I was wondering how on EARTH do I use this super soap?! Like REGULAR soap. Of course!

On some frozen dinners:
"Serving suggestion: Defrost."

On packaging for an iron:
"Do not iron clothes on body."

On Nytol Sleep Aid:
"Warning: May cause drowsiness."

On most brands of Christmas lights:
"For indoor or outdoor use only."

On Sainsbury's peanuts:
"Warning: contains nuts." <--I know this is an allergy warning, but HAHAHAHA!!!

On an American Airlines packet of nuts:
"Instructions: Open packet, eat nuts." Sorry, could you explain that one more time?

On a child's Superman costume:
"Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly." Yes, I knew I read that somewhere. Sadly, I know why they put it there. “Look Mommy! I can fly like Batman!”

Lynn

...with a voice that's vast and aromatic, but still so precious...

no Southpark quotes?!
I'll give u some known, and some less known...(just from what I can recall this moment)

"oh my god they killed kenny! - you bastards!"
(u all know that)

"respect my authority!"
(Kartman)

"kids, say hello to Mr.Hat"
(Mr.gerrison)

"Kyle's gf: Kyle I love you.
Kyle: bouhhhh(puke)"

"wooofooof oouf oof.."
(Kenny)

"ummmmmm okaaay?"
(guess)

"dont worry kuskus, some day u'll be a big star"
(chef to meatloaf before he changed his name to meatloaf)

"oh my god! celine dion, u've did sex with ugly bob!!"
(Terrans, from terrans and philip)

"dont worry, chill, brother"
(Sadam Hussain, from terrans and philip)

:lol:

there are shitloads of more, but Im afraid to end up all staring at me like a nutcase.
oh, and I might misprinted some stuff, so u'll have to excuse me...

Originally posted by Oyo
Warning, very few of these quotes are insightful or have a deep meaning (I guess some do) But they are all funny :)

"You are invited to take advantage of the chambermaid."
-In a Japanese Hotel

"Drop your trousers here for best results."
-In a Bangkok dry cleaner's

Heh, I've always loved these. Here's another:

"The manager has personally passed all the water himself"
-Japanese(?) hotel advertising their drinking water :D

Originally posted by Opet

On a bag of Fritos:
"You could be a winner! No purchase necessary. Details inside."

On packaging for an iron:
"Do not iron clothes on body."

On Nytol Sleep Aid:
"Warning: May cause drowsiness."

[/i]

Those are the funniest ones:lol:

As a Simpson's die hard, i feel compelled:

"We put the fun in fundamentalist dogma" -- private school principal

"it tastes like burning" -- after ralph ate some poison berries

"this is the kind of dog you have to feed every day" -- homer on their new dog laddie

"for thousands of years, the stone cutters have smashed the rocks of ignorance with the hammer of enlightenment, now lets all get drunk and play ping pong" -- stone cutters grand puba

"no one who speaks german could be evil" -- side show bob's parole officer

"I say this without hyperbole, its 800 million times worse than all of them put together" -- some ad exec