Favourite Soundtrack/Composer

Existenz

Nov 12, 2004
UK
Eight Moons has been described as 'Film-Score Metal', not suprising really if you know John.K, as he is a huge fan of soundtracks from the likes of John Williams(Star Wars), James Horner (Aliens) to Elliott Goldenthal(An Interview with a Vampire).
Sooo......
What's you favourite soundtrack/composer or classical composer?

John's all time favourite soundtrack is 'The Empire Strikes Back' by John Williams. He's also a big fan of Stravinsky and Tchaikovsky.

My favourites are 'Dracula' by John Williams and the first track of 'The Last Temptations of Christ' by Peter Gabriel.
Classical-Tchaikovsky's 'Romeo and Juliet' (I know, I'm a soppy girlie)

OK,

I 'll start off because lets face it. As a drummer I don't get to speak much (yes we can speak :OMG: ) so here we go.

SoundTracks: Flash Gordon (Queen) and
John Williams* Schindlers List *JW is Mandatory 'Bio' sustainance.
Dune - Toto.
and secret one (Don't worry, no Bet fucking Midler or Barbara Streisand in Sight)

Classical: Gotta be Wagner, Schubert, Paganini and I quite like John Adam's 'Fearful symetries. There are more but I'll leave it at that.

Man toughie! So many good ones out there (composers and film soundtracks).

My favs (at least right now) are:

Composers: Hans Zimmer, Danny Elfman, Howard Shore, James Horner

Soundtracks: Gladiator, Lord of the Rings (all), Braveheart, Sleepy Hollow

My favourite soundtracks are of these movies:
Stalker
Amelie
Kill Bill
And almost all Tim Burton movies (Elfman yea)
my favourite soundtrack composer (not a classical one ) = Goran Bregovich

Sound Tracks: Brotherhood Of The Wolf, The Crow, Terminator, Star Wars: A New Hope

Composers: I always forget who wrote what, but I seem to recall Holst & Bach being good.

And given what they do, I think I should include Elend in this list...

DVDA is Matt Stone and Trey Parker's band. They do the music for South Park, Orgazmo, BASEketball, Team America...basically all of their films/programs.

Iconoclast said:
DVDA is Matt Stone and Trey Parker's band. They do the music for South Park, Orgazmo, BASEketball, Team America...basically all of their films/programs.

DVDA is an acronym for a rumoured and rather impressive sexual position,
that requires both 'lube', four 'Good buddies' and ladiy of certina 'Capacious' qualities.

- Class dismissed.

MetalAges said:
Man toughie! So many good ones out there (composers and film soundtracks).

My favs (at least right now) are:

Composers: Hans Zimmer, Danny Elfman, Howard Shore, James Horner

Hi,

You have just reminded me and Iofthestorm how much I like the music from 'Edward Scissorhands' (Danny Elfman).

Matt.C said:
DVDA is an acronym for a rumoured and rather impressive sexual position,
that requires both 'lube', four 'Good buddies' and ladiy of certina 'Capacious' qualities.

- Class dismissed.
AKA Double Vaginal Double Anal

org-036.jpg

IOfTheStorm said:
I'm suprised that noone mentioned Basil Poledouris and his score for "Conan The Barbarian"

Polydouris is cool but I only like the music from Conan more than all the other stuff he has done

Favourite subject!!! :hotjump:

Well, as Existenz said my most favourite composer for film music is (no surprise to all who know me) John Williams (by far).

Top album will have to be The Empire Strikes Back with most favourite tracks 'In to the asteroid field' and ' The Battle in the snow' even though they are all awesome.
Closely followed by Dracula (1979)
and ET (hey I was a kid when I first heard it :) )
Then the quality of his music varies from 'absolutely awesome' to 'fantastic'. So I won't bother with naming scores as we will be here all day. There are about two from the 100+ albums I own I didn't like : Earthquake and The Missouri Breaks.

My second most favourite film music composer of all time is Gerry Goldsmith
Sadly he died a few months ago but I managed to see him conducting the LSO twice. He is best remembered for his scores of the Star Trek film series
, The Omen and many more. The man had an endless list of scores!! I could never keep up. Most favourite scores:
The Omen Trilogy, Star Trek I, The Legend (released in America without his music but with some weird German pop band :ill: )Alien, First Night, The Mummy, Total Recall.

Number 3 will have to be James Horner. I have lost interest in him after I kept hearing the same writing over and over again but, Willow, Star Trek II and Krull remain some of my most favourite scores of all time.

Numero 4 is Elliot Goldenthal, again he repeats him self to death but it's very difficult not to admit that Interview with the Vampire, Batman Forever and Alien 3 were awesome scores!! I also like Pet Cemetery (one of his first). That guy is extremely innovative and came up with awesome (unusual) brass sounds. It was a breath of fresh air when he first appeared on the film scoring scene.

Fifth has to be Alan Silvestri: The Predator films, The Mummy Returns

Other than my top five there is a wealth of composers who I admire(in no particular order):

Cliff Eidelman, Star Trek- The Undiscovered Country (I think!!)
Robert Folk,
John Debney, most recently he scored The Passion of Christ
Max Steiner, King Kong (original!!!)
Basil Polydouris, Conan the barbarian, Starship Troopers
Danny Elfman, Edward Scissorhands (by far his best score)
Howard Shore, The Fly, Lord of the rings, Naked Lunch
Ryichi Sakamoto, Little Buddha, The Last Emperor
Christopher Young, Hellraiser I + II are awesome, the Fly 2 and The Dark Half are also great.
Henry Mancini (RIP), Lifeforce is my most favourite
Ennio Moricone, The Mission, The Thing
David Arnold, Stargate is his first score and still my favourite from his work
Marty Paich for orchestrating and adding music for Dune. Main themes and music initially composed by Toto.

I am sure I left one or two out (no, Vangelis was left out on purpose :)) but that's pretty much it with my favourite composers for film music.

Classical composers I like: Stravinsky, Tschaikovsky, Holst, Debussy but Stravinsky is at the top of the list!!!