FEEDBACK on 8 string prog/deathmetal recording

Jack Ketch

New Metal Member
Jan 20, 2014
Roseville, CA
www.jackketch.com
I'm pretty new to this forum, I've used it a lot for info, but this is my first time posting. Here is the first start to finish song that I have completed 100% from recording, mixing and mastering. Just looking for some feedback or tips on how I can continue to grow and improve upon this. Set to high quality video for best sound and let me know what you think. Any and all feedback is appreciated. Also if you have an questions about the process feel free to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing that I think could be improved is that the drums sound really robotic. Maybe play with the velocities on them a little more on your next go-round. Otherwise, I think it sounds pretty good. Also, around the 1:30 mark (give or take 10 seconds), I noticed there was this odd sound, almost sounded like a tape or vinyl scratch that really distracted me from the rest of the music. Don't know if that was intentional or not. All in all, sounds pretty good though.

By the way, cool video! Sony Vegas? haha

Thanks man I appreciate the input! I agree about the drums, I notice it a lot more on the faster parts too. I just upgraded to the Apogee Ensemble from a Profire 610 so I may even go for real drum tracking on the next song, or even a mix of both, now that I have more inputs. I bet that sound you're talking about is probably some string noise either from the pick or fingers sliding. I noticed that on a few parts when mixing. I'm going to have to make sure and listen for that while tracking next time cause there wasn't too much I could figure out to clean it up after the fact.

I threw the video together real quick in After Effects. Wanted to make a full lyric video for this one, but the guys were anxious to get it out and I didn't have the time. Haha