Fenders

greetings...

i have a fender American tele, it's one of my best guitar for... em... metal after i had a Seymour Duncan Hotrails in there. with Fender, it's a love/ hate thing. i initially bought this guitar because i was searching for an immaculate single coil tone & my money's with fender. however, after my PRS acquisition, i find that the PRS' coil-split tone is more preferable to my ears. so i had to mod the Fender & it's now an awesome player.

fender & jackson? they are now a family...

if you find that the japanese fender is more consistent in its production standards- well, it's made by Fuji-Gen Gakki Co., which makes Ibanez too...

I've been in a lot of situations where someone had a fender and i asked to play. This could just be my picking style, or that I shred to fast for the fenders, but i always hit the volume bar with thte bottom of my hand, and by the time i get 1/4 of the way through any of Petrucci's solos (that i can play) the volume button has been turned all the way to 0. This was my first beef with fenders, since back in the day playing seek and destroy.

Other than that, i just don't like the material they're made of. I could be a guitar snob, and most likely am, but I prefer axes designed to shred. When I bought my second axe, I spent a damn long tiome playing every guitar i could find in town. Comparitively, including playability, sound, cost, and overral appearance, i found the cheap Ibanez G10 to outperform and outplay any Fender that i could find. it's all a matter of what you play and what you like I guess, but i just cannot stand the way Fenders play. The only thing they did well for me, was that it tapped like a little baby during my test runs of Am I Evil's solo on it. Though that sounds infinities better on Ibanez's Steve Vai custom. Then again,what doesn't sound better than that thing. anyway, if you're not dumber after reading all this crap you should be. lol

needless to say, guitar in general kicks ass, and i wouldn't be here if it weren't for my guitar.

rock on guys

I have a '91 American Strat and quite enjoy playing it.
I do, however, have my sights on a PRS as my next acquisition. I live just outside Annapolis, so it's right up the road. :D

Silverhaze said:
Some of the best guitarists in the world play/played strats. Fine Guitars.

Yeah, when I saw Nile play, karl was using a light yellow strat. Karl is a damn fine metal guitar player, and he was playing damn fine metal with that guitar.

if you pay close attention to sander's strat, you'll note the 21 frets indicating that the guitar might be a vintage make. however, no vintage comes with a humbucking combination so that guitar might be a frankenstien or he re-routed his guitar body to accomodate a humbucker. it just shows that if the tool works, then stick to it.

it'll be interesting to see if that guitar would be replicated now that the band is endorsing Fender/ Jackson :cool:

Yngwie Malmsteen has been stale for about 15 years as he has been playing the same stuff over and over for that long, but the funny thing is........ he still is one of the best metal shredders out there period. He (along with a couple of others like Vai) made metal shred innovation move in slow motion for over a decade.
David Gilmour.... hey, he's not metal but if you can introduce me to a guitarist that can make his axe "sing" like Gilmour can and you have a friend for life in me. Gilmour is a special breed.
The list of top guitarists that play strats is pretty big, but I named only a couple of my personal favorites. In fact, even though I personally can't get a tone out of a strat I like, both of those guitarists are in my personal top five.

Bryant

I used to hate fenders, then I started liking them a little bit - you see, I've always like telecasters a bit.
But a mean - the strat - how disgusting is that? Three single coils? YUK. Especially that bridge SC, has a horrible sound. The only heavy guitarist that can get a good sound from single coils is Tom Morrello.
Then Everything Changed.
I got Total guitar this month, and John 5 of Marilyn Manson was on the front, with his new SIGNATURE TELECASTER, I can't express how gorgeus this guitar is. I want one. It has a Hotrails at the bridge and it's all lovely and black. Get one. No don't i'd be jealous.

I rarely post on UM anymore just because the threads are cyclical, as is this one. Although I always feel an innate desire to inform the typical metalhead about quality guitars.

First of all, for metal, you shouldn't even own a fender, any fender. But wait, you've already been duped by a chain (GC usually) and mags into thinking that Fender's are a "Legendary Tried and True" company, and perhaps already own one. It's ok, you will be shown the light. "But wait, Yngwie and XYZ guitar hero play fender's, they have to kick ass." Shit, I'd play a cardboard box with a rubber band on it for the amount of money fender is giving those guys (aka yes, everyone has a price).

Reason's why 99% of Fender's are not quality guitars.
1. Crappy woods are used in their construction - we're talking synthetic sawdust wood on some of these! Grade F maple underneath that tele sparkle etc. I know it's electric, but wood still has alot to do with tone/sustain.

2. Crappy Hardware, ever try to keep a Fender with a whammy bar in tune? Enough said.

3. Crappy pickups - machine wound single coils by the thousands with thin gauge wiring. You have to pay alot more for the good SC's usually above 1k. Hums leave the work to the amps, not strong enough.

4. Crappy action - Ever successfully intonated the harmonics on a fender? Dare I say, intonate one with a whammy system? Setting them up is hard and the action is never close.

5. Necks - Slow and wide as a Bulldozer and less agile. Not to mention the bolted heels.

6. Customer Deception. Xeno, I also agree that fender's best recent guitars were the Jap-made ones in the early 90's. Fender knew this and then sent operations to mexico so that their USA made models wouldn't be out-done. This is because Fender has successfully duped the buying public to believe that USA craftsmanship is always better in their field. So when the japanese made used guitars started selling for more than their new USA made ones, they canned the Jap ops.

I could go on, but everyone knows that most Fenders suck, that there are so many "vintage" falsies out there, so don't buy one. There's more Vintage fenders in stores today than were produced in the 60's and 70's, hmm... Anyways, Fender has had enough...

Let's move on to your Dream guitar, perhaps a Gibson or a PRS? These guitars are also severely overrated. "But PRS guitars are handmade!" You couldn't be more wrong. They WERE handmade and used to be awesome guitars. Since about 95 they have been machine made and they don't even do their own inlays. That "beautiful grain pattern" that you see is actually to make up for blemished wood.

So then you say, what guitars do you like personally? My answer will always be the same. The small, independent guitar companies who handmake their guitars and give a rats-ass about whether their customer enjoys them or not. These companies have no volume contracts, no product testing for age groups, and no PR/Advertising branches. They're all around if you only look, you'll find a well-made, unique sounding guitar before you know it. I personally have a handmade electric solidbody from a german luthier (let's say it together, loo-thee-air) whom none of you would know probably because the guitar center catalog comes to your house, you don't need to look for any other guitars, they're ALL right there right?

I'm not saying this to make fun of all the posters, I'm merely enlightening you all hoefullly. So here is my closing statement from a man wh oknows what he is talking about.

"For all you rock/alt rock Fender / Gibson / Epiphone / Marshall / PRS Nazis: You know you who you are… The people that think that these are the ONLY guitars you should play to be "cool"… Open your minds to the great new independent guitar builders… They care more about their craft than the “bottom line” just like your “favorite” bands did before they “sold out”…
I hear everybody complain about how mainstream music sucks and how we should always listen to the new bands and artists that radio won’t play…By this same logic, shouldn’t you play a great guitar that is NOT the run of the mill mainstream brand???
It is very likely that your favorite guitar companies HAVE ALREADY SOLD OUT!!!!"
Duke Seino, tone junkie

Non-mainstream guitars? *scratches head*
Well, what you're saying is that everyone should go get a handmade, custom-built guitar? Sounds great to me, but what about the money issue? Don't tell me that such guitars are "affordable", even if they're made locally by a zen guru.

Most of us have to settle for a compromise. A guitar that is acceptable in sound, looks and quality, but may not be "the best".

nihilist said:
6. Customer Deception. Xeno, I also agree that fender's best recent guitars were the Jap-made ones in the early 90's. Fender knew this and then sent operations to mexico so that their USA made models wouldn't be out-done. This is because Fender has successfully duped the buying public to believe that USA craftsmanship is always better in their field. So when the japanese made used guitars started selling for more than their new USA made ones, they canned the Jap ops.
Duke Seino, tone junkie

Yup, this happened with Jackson in the early 90's. They didn't relocate production, but since their japanese guitars were on par with (in some cases even better) than the USA Jacksons quality wise, they took measures to make sure the quality of the japanese guitars would take a drop. It's fact that the japanese have thousands of years of experience in woodworking and were always far ahead of the west in this area. They also have a strong sense of pride in anything they do, and if they're allowed, they will make superb products.

Note: I edited away the largest bit of my counter-productive anti-american rant. I should know better than to spew such crap. You can read it below in Silverhaze's quotation if you absolutely need to. =P

'bane

The bassist from Evanescence (i hope i spelt it wrong) has a Maverick. HaHa. O, and nihilist, that was such a boring post. Although I'd have to agree about those PRS's. I thought there was something wrong with me...because I hate them. They are lumps of ugly crap. And by the way Sunbane I think you mean USA? (America isn't a country). Buy Total Guitar this month - John 5 is amazing.

Silverhaze said:
I always enjoy reading your posts because they are usually intelligent, but your continual "america" bashing is getting old and truly wears on your credibility.

Yeah you're right. I'm sorry. I've been involved in a few threads on other boards lately, where I've had the starspangled banner shoved in my face a few times too many...but this time I went out of order. Thanks for clearing my head man. I needed it. =)

Just as I dislike seeing my country being put down, you americans don't deserve seeing me talking crap about your country either. My sincere apologies and respect.

'bane

Reactions: Silverhaze
headbob.gif

I'm not a big fan of strats..i've played squiers and i didn't like them, and i've played clapton's and srv's signature ones among other more expensive strats, didn't like them. I don't like the sound, the way they play, or the way they look. Just not my kind of guitar..

I like my mexican built Fender Toronado with 2 Humbucks. I bought it on a whim because I liked that the look was a little different and the factory settings were okay. I have tweaked the action a little and added slightly heavier strings. It is a good guitar. As far as Strats go, You have to make them what you want, if you are not used to playing them as they come from the factory. Most people that love them, were indoctrinated on them. My first guitar was Fender, but it won't be my last.
If I had the money, I would buy the 7-string Ibanez I played a couple weeks ago at Sam Ash. It was jaw droppingly awesome, but like $1400 or more. I also really like the Gibson SG feel, look, and tone. I do not like the Goth versions of the SG or Les Paul, the neck is too fat and wide. I've played 6-string basses that were easier to play. For the most part, Jackson and BC Rich do nothing for me. PRS is sweet, but yet again, there is a serious gap in what I can afford and the asking price. I played a Line-6 guitar at Sam Ash the other day and it felt slow and had a thick slow neck(totally unimpressed).
okay, that's my 2

just a thought - don't be ashamed of being ashamed of the USA - with all their 'periods' they need to lighten up. there is a docu thing on tonight called 'what other people think of America' but everybody mistook the name for 'why people hate America' haha!!!. sorry. besides, a bit of 'america bashing' is only healthy. let's not get into that though - stratsa, yeah, they're not metal at all.

I rarely post on UM anymore just because the threads are cyclical, as is this one. Although I always feel an innate desire to inform the typical metalhead about quality guitars.

First of all, for metal, you shouldn't even own a fender, any fender. But wait, you've already been duped by a chain (GC usually) and mags into thinking that Fender's are a "Legendary Tried and True" company, and perhaps already own one. It's ok, you will be shown the light. "But wait, Yngwie and XYZ guitar hero play fender's, they have to kick ass." Shit, I'd play a cardboard box with a rubber band on it for the amount of money fender is giving those guys (aka yes, everyone has a price).

The Fenders that are collectable like the old standard strat and teles were handmade and even today, the American standards are fine instruments. Are they better than the micro companies ? No, but that doesn't mean they aren't made with quality. I wouldn't pay for a Budweiser (or any other drool the big American beer companies force feed the public) but the most talented brewmasters in the world work for those big companies and you can rest assured, though I flat out don't like Budweiser, everytime I drink one (because someone gave me one) it always tastes remarkably the same as the last one I drank because the people in charge keep the standards high.
I don't dislike Bud because it is a low quality beer, but because it doesn't taste good to me. I don't dislike Fenders because it is a low quality guitar but because it doesn't play good to me, not because it is a low quality guitar. I realize the beer and guitar analogy is a bit strange, but it hit home because I was knocking the big American Beer companies and someone brought up the fact about how many millions of gallons of that stuff they produce, yet they always taste remarkably similar even to my pallet which pretty refined for intracacies of beer.
No two guitars play and sound alike due to the fact that they are made of organic materials, but Fender, to this day still holds a high quality of the higher end instruments they let go out of their doors. If you find it as "quality" is your opinion, but they have standards that they are meticulous with.

Bryant