Festival Rankings

I dunno... I thought maybe they were nervous about playing this stuff for the first time in over seven years. ;) I definitely didn't see much energy... they did play a good set though, and of course I was psyched to see it.

1. Stride - cant wait for them to play a better slot, #3 would be great!
2. Conception - pretty much flawless setlist...
3. Circus Maximus - already got me begging for another album...
4. Therion - shame on me for being a skeptic, wont happen again...
5. the rest...

1. Therion
2. Conception
3. Circus Maximus
4. DC Cooper
5. Pink Cream 69
6. Stride
7. Angra
8. Dreamscape
9. Manticora

Wisely skipped Orphaned Land and Symphorce - can't handle either vocalist.

Missed Stratovarius from Therion induced fatigue.

Joe

1. Therion, Angra (too good to differentiate)
2. Conception
3. Stratovarius (too many ballads...)
4. Manticora (Bought all their albums the next day)
5. PC69
6. Circus maximus
7. Symphorce
8. Stride
9. Orphaned Land

Well, the festival offers a variety. There's something for everyone, so I'm convinced of that after this year! We've all got different taste and opinions, but I think we'd all agree that ProgPower is an excellent event for the metal fan! With that said, here's my personal ranking, from my favorite to least favorite.

Angra (a highlight for me...strictly professional)
Symphorce (like Andy said, they kicked our asses)
Stratovarius (a veteran band in top form...very impressed)
Conception (a great all around set...it was fun seeing Glenn being a fanboy)
Therion (i'm not a fan, but I have to admit, they put on a great set)
Circus Maximus (these guys should make other prog bands worry)
PC69 (a fun set...Glenn should invite this kind of band each year)
Manticora (IMO, all of their music sounds the same, but a good set)
Orphaned Land (they put on a good show, but I just can't get into them)
Stride (they're talented, but their music just doesn't grab me)

What a weekend. Every band was absolutely phenomenal. From Outworld on thursday night to Strato's Black Diamond closing the weekend. I sit and try to figure out which sets I enjoyed the most, and every band properly kicked my ass (Angra and Therion especially). Cheers to such a wonderful weekend!

My only complaint, if it could even be called one: I don't know what I was looking for in Strato's set. I suppose looking back the set was evened out with ballads, new songs and old faster ones, just with the collective group of musicians and legacy given I was hoping for more faster songs and stronger softer ones. That was just me. Father Time was amazing. It just took them forever to come on, movie and all, only to open with Maniac Dance. I was glad to finally hear Destiny, an hour or so later. Oh well, onto day 6, Strato again and Into Eternity for the 80th time. cheers!

1. Khanfuckinception!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. Stratovarius- Been waiting a long time to see them and they did not dissapoint
3. Angra- Great set (Holy Land kills)
4. Orphaned Land- Impressed the hell out of me!
5. Symphorce- Andy fuckin rules
6/7 tie. Pink Cream 69 and Circus Maximus
8. Stride
9. Therion
10. Manticora

My ranking is basically what I expected prior to going to the show. Overall, this was an amazing show!

Therion-This is why I go to progpower. Wish their drummer could come back to the beat on time after a drum fill!
Orphaned Land-All around different and enjoyable set.
Stride-The best musicianship of the festival. By far the best drummer.
Stratovarius-Played well but nothing new here.
Symphorce-Just because Andy is my favorite frontman. Stick with Brainstorm Andy-no comparison in the 2 bands!
Pink Cream-nothing new here except the best vocalist of the festival. He was excetional with Adagio on their recordings. PC is just another good metal band. Worst drummer of the festival. Plodding timekeeping drug them down.
Angra- Biggest disappointment of Progpower. I know their material well and they just did not execute well. Off-key singing and poor job of pulling off studio sound.
Circus Maximus-great players-nothing very original.
Conception-Lead guitarist made their set.
Manticora-good opening act

Therion - I had been waiting for a long time to see Therion, and holy shit they kicked ass! They sounded larger than Life!
Quite possibly the best live performance EVER! (IMO)
Maybe the more people you have on stage the better the performance! Amazing!

Orphan Land - awesome both nights; what a great unique band. They need to come back soon! More!

After that I really can't pick an order...

Conception - sounded great; I love the song "A Million Gods" . They are definitely not a band you can get into first listen, so since I haven't heard Flow (not that I haven't tried to find it), I couldn't get in to much of their set.

Stratovarius - I was so wound up and happy after Therion that I felt I needed another Long Island Ice Tea to enjoy Strato's set. I thought Kotipelto was a great front man; however, my love for Strat dwindled long ago. Still I was happy to hear Father Time, Destiny, Forever, and my favorite, Coming Home. So I guess fans like me are the reasons they played the ballads. Besides, if they didn't their whole set would sound to similar. The drink was good. The vinyl makes the best Long Islands...

Angra - better at 3. Still a great live band; however Edu's vocals were weak. They played Never Understand! That made me so happy. I am a huge old Angra fan, so any time they played an old song (other than Carry On) I was thrilled. Still, I'd rather have Matos on vocals; esp. with the night Edu was having.

Symphorce - I think Andy is great. I think Symphorce is boring.

Mantacora - I don't care for the vocals and all their songs ran together. Their sound was muddled too.

I missed most of Circus Maximus and Stride, but what I heard was good and made me wish I had seen more.

I also missed PC69 because I'm not a cheese rock fan. I stuck my head in long enough to see David Redman briefly.. I wish he had stayed in Adagio.

Had a blast!
Robin

Orphaned Land - Almost worth the price of admission alone :headbang:

Therion - New to the band, definitely checking out some of their stuff (Check your Private Messages, RealM!)

Circus Maximus - They didn't have a lot of energy on stage, but their performace musically made me forget that they weren't doing much. The vocalist...wow.

Angra - Good, but nowhere near as good as the Cleveland show in '02. Edu didn't sound nearly as good as back then.

Symphorce - Not a fan, but their live show was pretty good...and c'mon, Andy is the man.

Stride, Stratovarius (all 4 songs I saw) and Manticora were all good performance wise, but I'm not fans of any of them.

Conception - I just don't get it, sorry.

Pink Cream 69 - ditto

For me, it went like this:
1. Therion, hands down
2. Orphaned Land, simply incredible live set
3. Stratovarius, one of the best vocalist in the business, period
4. Symphorce, these guys were Awesome!
5. Conception, very good set, can't get into the lead singer, though
6. Manticora, these guys surprised the heck outta me
7. Angra, always great
8. Pink Cream 69, excellent band, but I expected more
9. Circus Maximus, okay
10. Stride, okay

Therion
Orphaned Land
Symphorce
Pink Cream 69
Angra
Stride
Manticora
Circus Maximus
Conception
Stratovarius

The only one I'd sorta call a bad experience was Strato. And I do understand why people go ga-ga for Conception. I thought Circus Maximus was great - it goes to show how brilliant the rest were.

I went looking forward to Friday, but Saturday totally kicked my ass (except for Strato).

janisonata666 said:
6. Symphorce- The singer thinks alot of himself. But the band is tight!
Jan

I must jump in and say you couldn't be more wrong. If that was the impression that you got when you met him...must've been humour or sarcasm.. Andy is the most humble man you'll ever meet in rock-n-roll.

kittybeast said:
I must jump in and say you couldn't be more wrong. If that was the impression that you got when you met him...must've been humour or sarcasm.. Andy is the most humble man you'll ever meet in rock-n-roll.

I must Agree 100% Andy was a Humble and Kind Gentleman who really truely seemed to appreceate his fans! I had the chance to chat with him several time over the weekend and he was never once full of himself or anything ... infact he gave me a hug friday night before going off to bed ...ofcourse I still havnt figured out why :lol:

kittybeast said:

I agree...the whole entire Symphorce band were class acts in my opinion! Nobody gave me a hug though! :D