Rank the PPVI Bands in the Order You Most Want to See Them Play

DarkOne

Black Belt in Sarcasm
May 2, 2002
Philadelphia
Visit site
How would you guys rank the PP bands, in the order of how much you want to see them?

Here's mine:

Angra - Solid albums, incredibly talented, and a great job in PPIII

Pink Cream 69 - Underrated band. Readman an excellent vocalist, solid melodic rock band.

Conception - I Like Kahn, like what I've heard so far, looking forward to hearing the rest of their stuff. Obviously, most others are raving about this one.

Stratovarius - Cheesy? Sure. On the downward swing? Yup. Catalog full of catchy songs? Absolutely!

Symphorce - Haven't heard much, but Andy B was a great frontman last year. What I've heard is good.

Manticora - This band is really growing on me. Powerful music that I like more with each listen.

Orphaned Land - Interesting, but I haven't caught the buzz on them like the rest of the prog world seems to have done.

Therion - Buying the latest album in order to give them a second chance, but I just haven't like what I've heard much. It isn't bad music, but doesn't interest me enough to listen to it. I'll still listen to them at PP.

Heard one song each in the MP3 section and reserving judgment. So far, so good:

Circus Maximus

Stride

I don't know as many of the bands, and there is no one here that hooks me the way some of the past bands have (Circle II Circle, WoMD, Kamelot, Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Sym X). No matter what, though, I expect it will be a great show. I haven't come away disappointed yet.

Steve in Philly

I am looking forward to Strato and Angra but the band I am most curious to see is Circus Maximus..."Alive" has really peaked my interest...just a great flowing song in my opinion.
Top to Bottom
Circus Maximus
Angra
Strato
PC69
Conception
The rest are all about even...

From "most want to see" downward:

Conception
PC 69
--- (those two are by far at the top of the heap)
Stratovarius
Manticora
Symphorce
Orphaned Land
Circus Maximus
Angra
Stride
Therion

Angra - I saw them near Cleveland two years ago. One of the top 5 shows I've ever seen
Orphaned Land - Only heard the sample, but damn, they're right up my alley
Symphorce - I can look past the PoS hoopla and be excited to see Andy Frank again
Manticora - Just got the new CD, and while its nothing amazing imo, it should be GREAT live
Conception - I love Kamelot, I like Ark, I love Kahn's voice... I think I'll like this :)
Stride - Sample sounds good, can't wait to hear more
Circus Maximus - Sounds great based on the sample and what Glenn said
Stratovarius - Not a fan, but they should put on a good show
Therion - I've heard maybe 10 different tracks, does nothing for me
PC69 - The two samples did nothing for me, I have no interest in checking out more atm

Yeah, the top 3 Saturday bands are at the bottom :p I know when I'll be spending some time at the vendors. Oh well, I still can't wait for September!

Therion - it seems like people aren't overly interested about them...hopefully it means I can get a spot at the front!
Angra - I've only gotten into them recently, but their songs are great, and I've heard they're good live.
OL/PC69 - They're both good....
Circus Maximus - As said everywhere, the song posted is great. Now get the damn album out!
Stratovarius - Something about his voice just doesn't agree with me. Fun band, but not the most excited to see them.
Symphorce - If only because Andy is back :headbang:
Conception - Honestly, I don't know them at all, but obviously they must be decent.
Manticora
Stride

The Circus Maximus album comes out on May 17th...plenty of time to get acquainted with it, and I guarantee, it will be well worth the wait.

#1 Conception --- a long time favorite of mine that I never figured to see live.

#2 PC 69 --- another band I've been listening too for years, and just never thought they would be asked to come to Prog Power

#3 Orphaned Land --- I just think this could be quite an interesting show to behold. Mabool was one of my favorites of the year.

#4 Manticora --- 8 Deadly Sins is excellent, and I just have to figure that these guys will be quite excellent and energetic live.

#5 Symphorce --- I would expect they to be really strong live too. Andy is a heck of a charismatic frontman.

#6 Stratovarius --- I'm not a big fan, but they have a handful of tunes I like. I'm interested to see if they are statues on stage or if they are energetic.

#7 Angra --- I'm not a big fan, but I like the Edu stuff pretty well. I've seen them once before so that lowers them on the list for me.

#8 Therion --- I don't like their material much, but the live set couple be kind of dark and eerie. Atmosphere wise I'm expecting it to be kind of creepy.

#9 Circus Maximus --- I know nothing of them other than clips, but I liked what I've heard.

#10 Stride --- I was in attendance when they played a pre party show, but I honestly can't remember a second of their set. Too much booze perhaps.

Britt

1- Stratovarius: have not liked their last 4 albums but they are one of those "big" bands I grew up with that I have still not seen live.

2- Conception: this will be a very special show.

3- Symphorce: Andy B. Franck is great frontman and I still have not seen them live.

4- Therion: Great live band. Have seen them once and was blown away.

5- Angra: I love this band...its only in middle as I have seen them twice already.

6- Orphaned Land: Should be very interesting to hear their material live.

7- Circus Maximus: Have only heard that one song but sounds promising.

8- Manticora: Cool band. Saw them already though.

9- Stride: put up a good show in PP Preparty. Should be entertaining.

10- Pink Cream 69: not my kind of style.

#1 Conception --- Truly a dream come true to see them live...now I'm just hoping for a new studio release, too!

#2 Stride --- They were awesome at the pre-party show a couple of years ago, so I'm looking forward to them a lot...can't wait to hear the new disc, too (with vocals this time! <smile>)

#3 Angra --- I like Angra a fair amount, and while they're not a "favorite" band (style-wise), they're *awesome* musicians, and I always appreciate stellar musicianship.

#4 Circus Maximus --- I also know nothing of them other than clips, but I *REALLY* liked what I've heard. They might even bump Angra down a notch, once I've heard the full disc.

#5 Manticora --- Again, not at all familiar with them, but liked the clips. 8 Deadly sins on order.

#6 Orphaned Land --- Although all I've heard is the few clips, these guys would probably be a notch or two higher, but although I like their style a lot, I really dislike death-growl vocals. They seem to use rougher vocals vaguely like PoS does -- rarely, and only for an emotional accent -- so I've ordered Mabool to give it a listen. If the growls are rare, bump 'em up a notch or two.

#7 PC 69 --- Not very familiar with them, either, but the clips sound OK...trying to decide which PC69 disc to get as a starter.

#8 Stratovarius --- I'm not a big fan of power metal (as if this list's order hadn't made that obvious), but they're clearly very talented, so I'll be interested to see them live.

#9 Therion --- They're OK, and obviously good at what they do...just not my kind of thing.

#10 Symphorce --- Not terrible, but not my sort of thing.

To sum it up for me, this is probably the first year that I'll likely watch every band's full show. In previous years there was always one or two bands that just did absolutely *nothing* for me, but several other bands I *loved*. With the exception of Conception, I don't *love* any of this year's bands (like Stride & Angra a lot, tho), but I'm looking forward to seeing *everyone* in different ways, which is a first. And hell, Conception alone is enough reason to go!! :headbang:

Craig

1. Conception
2. __________
3. __________
4. __________
5. Symphorce
6. __________
7. __________
8. __________
9. __________
10. Angra

Fairly "ho hum" year on the selection except for Conception, the only reason l'm going. At least, l'll have time to eat & shop this year.

1. Orphaned Land - Never been this excited about a particular band for Progpower

2. Manticora - Been listening to this extremely underrated heavy and melodic power/progressive band for years, never thought I'd get a chance to see them live.

3. Angra - incredible live show at PP III, completely stoked to see them once again

4. Stratovarius - I realize many are dismissing them as generic or wimpy Euro speed power metal, but they are one of the true pioneers of the genre and have been around long enough to know how to perform in front of a live audience. Their first U.S. show after being together for so long should give them enough motivation to close out the festival in a memorable way.

5. Pink Cream 69 - Man, maybe it was the band's name, but for some reason I never gave these guys a chance. Catchy, melodic and just plain fun! Wonderful choice for Progpower.

6. Conception - A dream come true for many a progressive metal fan. I'm cautiously optimistic, but the potential is there for a blow away show.

7. Circus Maximus - Very impressed with the little I've heard, really looking forward to hearing more.

8. Stride - On the fence, need to hear more.

9. Therion - Was somewhat excited at first, then listened to much of their catalogue and realized it just kind of dulls me more than I thought it did. Will definitely give their performance my full attention though, at least for awhile.

10. Symphorce - Just not for me

Overall, this is just a fantastic lineup for yours truly. Glenn is the master and I would LOVE to see what he could do with the parameters of one of the big Euro Festivals here in the U.S.. Man, could you imagine a 30-40 band festival organized by Glenn (with a much larger supporting cast and set of sponsers as well of course). Dare to dream, and I'm sure that day may never happen or is at least not even remotely on the radar screen, but hey, it's ok to dream. :)

Jason from Philly
The other Dark One

1. Angra - I missed PP3 and i've been a fan of this band since around 97 or so, can't wait.

2. Conception - Beyond stoked for this, they'd be the top spot for me if I didn't like Angra so much.

3. Stratovarius - Same as Angra, fan since about 97, but have not been thrilled with the last 2 albums. But like another said here, they have some awesome songs in their catalog. "Abyss From Your Eyes" PLEEEAAAASSSEEEEE play it!!!!

4. PC69 - Really excited to see them, first discovered them when Deris was still singing for them. Love em.

5. Manticora - Love the new album, great way to start the show off.

6. Symphorce - Andy just rocks live, should be good.

7. Circus Maximus - Like what I hear so far

8. Orphaned Land - Not a big fan, but I like em, hoping the show will turn them into a great band in my book, like Brainstorm and Tad did last year.

9. Stride - Need to hear more with the singer, but I like the sample.

10. Therion - shopping, drinking, and eating time for me.

1 - Therion - this blows my mind, thanks Glenn
2 - *now* Pink Cream 69 and I only got 1 album recently
3 - Stratovarius
4 - Manticora - YEEESSS !!
5 - Symphorce
6 - Angra - only have 1 album but I like it and missed them at III cos I was sick
7 - Orphaned Land
8 - Conception - no albums by them never heard anything til now
9 - Circus Maximus
10- Stride

Angra - awesome at PP3, one of the best shows I've ever seen
Orphaned Land - so excited for a great band that I never imagined I would get a chance to see
Stride - awesome at the preparty for pp4 (PLAY TRAVESTY!)
Manticora - 8 Deadly and Hyperion are two GOOD albums
Stratovarious - just to say, "yea I saw them"
CM - looking forward to them, hearing good things
Dont have anything from the rest of the pack so we'll see...

Angra and Orphaned Land - Angra for being my all time favorite band, they rule it all! Orphaned Land jsut because they are one of the most awesome bands in the world, Kobi is a great fucking person and I've been dying to see them since I discovered the band. This is the best ProgPower ever because of these two bands and the next one.

Conception Isn't Glenn amazing for being able to pull that off? Oh boy, oh boy this is gonna be a night to remember... And they're right in between Angra and Orphaned Land...

Stratovarius I've been wanting to see them for a good while now... It's finally time... Kotipelto is awesome live, and it's gonna be a good band to wrap up the fest..

Manticora They're a serious candidate for the award of Most Insanely Powerful band to ever play ProgPower USA... I just have the feeling...

Pink Cream 69 and Symphorce These two are very good bands that are probably gonna put a great show on... I'm just not the biggest fan in the world, but it'll be cool to see them...

Circus Maximus, Stride and Therion As of right now, I know very little of these bands. I only know one song by Circus Maximus and it blew me away... I'm looking forward for their set. I didn't see Stride on the Pre Party so I don't know what to expect from their set. I will be watching though. Therion has never really done anything for me, but maybe cause I've only heard a few songs. I am willing to giving them other chances though.

Orphaned Land
Therion
Angra
Pink Cream 69
Symphorce
Stratovarius
Conception
Manticora
Circus Maximus
Stride