How would you rank the performances this year?

Senecadawg

Sep 25, 2014
Okay. Obviously, first things first, I'm very thankful for all the bands that came to the festival. Each of them, while some may not necessarily be my cup of tea, contribute to the festival in some way and satisfy a particular group of fans. I'm definitely not trying to suggest that any of the following bands were less worthy than the others. But what were your absolute favorites/highlights?

For me, I think I'd order them something like this...

Anathema
Riverside
Voyager
Anathema (Acoustic)
Falconer
Royal Hunt
Helker
Jeff Scott Soto
Angra
Unleash the Archers
Native Construct
Dragonland

What say ye?

Jeff Scott Soto (with an admitted bias)
Falconer
Dragonland (both sets)
Evergrey (both sets)
Voyager (both sets)
Royal Hunt
Almah
Angra
Helker
Unleash The Archers

Voyager
Falconer
Riverside
Anathema
Native Construct (musically, more than performance)
Soto (I only caught the last 20 minutes)
Helker

Nothing else was good for me. But I'm not a Angra/Royal Hunt/Dragonland/Unleash the Archers fan anyhow.

Armored Saint
Saxon
Falconer
Riverside
Voyager
Royal Hunt
Jeff Scott Soto
Unleash the Archers

I was very impressed by Dragonland, a band I had no exposure to previously & as originally noted, the rest of the bands all sounded damned good.

My personal favorites…

Voyager Friday Night (Also enjoyed the Wed. night set, but it’s hard to get the full impact and energy when you can only see the tops of the band members’ heads!)
Jeff Scott Soto
Evergrey Thursday Acoustic Show
Helker
Royal Hunt
Angra
Falconer
Unleash the Archers

Armored Saint
Jeff Scott Soto
Saxon
Helker
Unleash The Archers
Voyager
Riverside
Royal Hunt
Angra
Falconer
Dragonland
Anathema
Native Construct

lol @ people completely ignoring the fact that Native Construct played

They were definitely my favorite band to listen to on disc leading up to the show. I just...it felt like they were playing along with their music rather than performing it. Some parts of it were good, really good. But at times I almost felt like I was watching one of those lip sync battles. I dunno it was weird. I think for me there's an acceptable amount of backing tracks you can use to support a live musical performance and they just used too much for me personally.

JSS had the set of the weekend for me with Armored Saint a close second.

I enjoyed watching all the bands over the four days but for me personally it was:

The Mighty Saxon! (I could see them every year!)
Ashes of Ares
Dragonland (both times)
Royal Hunt
Helker
Armored Saint
Almah

The surprise of the fest for me was JSS as I was not that familiar with his stuff but I thought he was awesome and was thankful he agreed to extend his set!

I think for me there's an acceptable amount of backing tracks you can use to support a live musical performance and they just used too much for me personally.

For me, that acceptable amount is close to zero, with the exception of something that is brief and relevant (along the lines of the opening to Operation: Mindcrime or Churchill's Speech before "Aces High"). Forgot to add prerecorded tracks to my "Jeers" list. If keyboards, backing vocals, etc. are important to your sound, hire some extra musicians for your live performance!

For me .... im not sure I can rank the performances.
To play a show like PPUSA requires a top notch level of musicianship and they all did great.

Personally, fill in drummer and all .... Helker was my number one.
Their humbleness and sincerity spoke to me deeply. I like many others, almost teared up at their wonderment and appreciation.

Oh man, such a hard post. To be clear, i'm ranking every band that I saw (missed Helker, the acoustic sets, and all of Wednesday) - and EVERY band I enjoyed, with the exception of Soto and Angra - who both still had some enjoyable parts.

1. Falconer (perfect sound, perfect playing and singing, and EVERYONE in the front was singing and jamming out. Perfection.)
2. Riverside (one of my favorite bands, AMAZING playing and some of the best mixing i've ever heard - set was too short tho and not enough of my faves, but that's why i'm going to NYC to see them headline on Friday!)
3. Anathema (was only an average level fan, but holy crap, they blew my mind live. Seriously beautiful and intense music)
4. Dragonland (both sets, although I preferred the first set - mainly because the crowd had way more energy and whatnot, but I can't fault the band for that. Also because The Never Ending Story <3 )
5. Voyager (Do I even need to say? IRON DREAM)
6. Armored Saint (John Bush is the only instance I can think of someone who is totally grunge in near every way, but decided to front a 100% metal band instead. Great set, great stage presence. Joey Vera's bassplaying is also immense)
7. Native Construct (super rad Boston dudes who I can't believe that I, someone from Massachusetts, only saw for the first time in Atlanta. I hung out with Max and their vocalist a bit, but probably creeped them out with my drunkenness. Sorry!)
8. Unleash the Archers (missed parts of their set due to meeting Riverside, but what I heard was immense and Brit is an AMAZING vocalist)
9. Royal Hunt (wasn't a big fan of DCC's stage presence - but his vocals were still spot on; Paradox is a great album; and their keyboardist is a boss. Although, they had a bunch of mics on stage - why did they need to do backtracks for what could've easily been sung by them? I don't get it. haha)
10. Saxon (This is a band who has a lot of songs that I adore, and a lot of songs that I can't stand. They played a solid mixture of both and their singer's rambles are impossible to understand, but that's exactly what I needed to wind down Thursday night!)
11. Almah (great band, but was a bit disappointed with all the tech problems and the greatly shortened set. And was kind of disappointed they wasted their time playing Angra covers when Angra was on the fest. BUT Edu sounds so fucking good and the backing band are rad, so whatever - still had fun!)
12. Angra (Riddle me this - if you're going to do an album in entirety on a world tour or whatever, and that album has keys/piano in every song and it's usually the lead melody... why the hell wouldn't you hire a live keyboardist, just for the tour at least? I don't get it, this bothered me throughout their whole set to the point where it was distracting. I also generally think Holy Land is much better on CD than in a live environment. But Felipe's bassplaying and Fabio's everything are as enjoyable as ever, so whateves)
13. Soto (played some rad covers, and had a few songs - I think Tailsman ones? - that I greatly enjoyed. But the majority of the set was very blah to me, but he's definitely a great vocalist)

I fucking love this fest. 2016 will most likely be my third year in a row. (but next time i'm considering flying for a change) Thank you ProgPower :)

This year was not my year..... but alas I still had a ball like always these are my highlights

VOYAGER!!!!!!!!!
Saxon (marking them off my bucket list)
Armored Saint
Native Construct
Helker (pleasant surprise)