Rank the PPVI Bands in the Order You Most Want to See Them Play

Pink Cream 69 is the draw for me, miles before anything else.

Angra
Manticora
Stratovarius

as for Stride and Circus Maximus.... Im really liking the ONE song I've heard by Circus, and Stride, well since at most I can have the cd a whole 24 hours in advance Im gonna give them a shot and check out a few songs. Not having the audience be familiar with their songs I think is really going to hamper their reception.

Ben

Maybe Angra was referred to as "generic" in the sense that their songs don't usually hold the tight melody and refrain that great songs do. Yes, you can sing to it. Yes, it's somewhat memorable at times. Yes, they have cool instrumentation.But compared to PC69, whose songs stick in your head forever, Angra is a bit on the generic side.

Of course, I'm just guessing at why the word "generic" was used. Angra do little for me too and I could agree with that term if that's what it was meant to mean.

Every band does it for me, in their own respective ways. From the newer bands in Stride and Circus Maximus, to Conception's godly presence. Angra and Strato and their mighty statures, Orphaned Land (TWO TIMES!), PC 69 (their music is just so catchy and energetic, its wonderful). Manticora is incredible, Symphorce is ass kicking (as was Brainstorm) and of course, Therion (I hope it's as moving as the performances i've seen throughout the years):).

woosta said:
Maybe Angra was referred to as "generic" in the sense that their songs don't usually hold the tight melody and refrain that great songs do. Yes, you can sing to it. Yes, it's somewhat memorable at times. Yes, they have cool instrumentation.But compared to PC69, whose songs stick in your head forever, Angra is a bit on the generic side.

Of course, I'm just guessing at why the word "generic" was used. Angra do little for me too and I could agree with that term if that's what it was meant to mean.

This is your personal opinion, and I totally respect it... I'm assuming you don't know a lot by Angra though, some of their stuff is really really sticky and they're memorable at most times... Try giving them another chance, especially with the new cd Temple of Shadows... Maybe they're gonna grow on you =)

Angra- I was really hoping that they would return after there appearence at PPIII. I had never heard of them before that, and when they came out guns blazing, my jaw dropped. This is a great live band, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Anyone who wants a taste, just get the Live In Sao Paulo DVD.

Stratovarius - Another band that I really wanted to see live here in the US. I think they are going to be pretty good live. I just hope that they stick to there older material, as the Elements CD's didn't sit too well with me. It may be downhill from here, but they gotta play old stuff live right?

PC 69 - Someone on this board said they wouldn't buy this bands CD because of their name... I felt the same way... Damn was I wrong!!!! I just picked up Thunderdome and it's AMAZING! I'm gonna have to get a few more of their CD's!! They are going to be a refreshing, fun, kick your ass, melodic change of pace for PP and I'm glad Glenn gave them a call...

Circus Maximus - From the sound of the sample, I think these guys are going to do well. Can't wait for the full disc.

Conception - The samples I heard seemed kinda mellow, but that was only the first listen. Gonna check them out more. I love Kamelot so... Kahn is a great singer.

Therion - After hearing some of Manticora and Symphorce, I think these guys (Therion) have a more traditional metal kind of sound. Should be interesting with 6 singers...

As for the rest... Manticora, Orphand Land, Symphorce and Stride... Going to do more research... If not well... Its a good time to buy CD's....

1) Conception - still having a hard time believing this one

2) Stratovarius - what a difference a year makes; let's hope Jens can keep it in his pants this time

3) Therion - when I heard they were coming to the U.S., I had a good idea who was responsible

4) Angra - glad to see them back; would have been ranked higher had I not already seen them

5) Symphorce - don't know much of their music yet; expecting only good things

6) Manticora - I've liked what I've heard so far; good choice to kick things off

Tie 7th) Stride and Circus Maximus - only heard one song each, and loved both tunes

9) Pink Cream 69 - seems like it could be an enjoyable live show (I just ordered the two discs that were most recommended in another thread)

10) Orphaned Land - I'll keep an open mind and give them a chance (I'll probably pick up their latest disc this weekend)

Actually, my opinion might change on Conception. The stuff I'm listening to from Parallel Minds is starting to sound pretty good. Might pick that up down the line between now and Prog-Power.

1. Conception--A dream come true for me
2. Angra--Would be number one if I hadn't already seen them twice!
3. Stratovarius--Another one I've been dying to see live
4. Pink Cream 69--I need a good hard rock fix!
5. Manitcora--Another ball-busting good time!
6. Stride--A blast to see a few years ago!
7. Symphorce--Andy Franck is the man, though I prefer Brainstorm.
8. Circus Maximus--I haven't heard a single note, but I have a good feeling.
9. Orphaned Land--I don't dig the whole melodic/death thing.
10. Therion--I just don't get it.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Conception
Orphaned Land
Stratovarius (they were my first euro power metal band, and I still have a soft spot for them although their last couple albums sucked)
Manticora
Symphorce
Angra
Circus Maximus
Stride

--- these two will probably be my lunch break ---

Pink Cream 69
Therion

Startovarius (the second I heard they were going to be here I booked the flight)
Conception (I've heard all of 2 clips from them and I already know)
Symphorce (I've had the album about 6 months and been looking forward to a live show ever since)
Therion (not so hot on the studio material, but certainly great live)
Angra (haven't heard much, but liked what I hear)
Stride (get the songs off their website now, only not so hot since they're from my home town so I can see them almost whenever)
Orphaned Land (certainly interesting but not really up there)
Pink Cream 69 (ridiculous name but I hear great things)
Manticora (sounded good for the one track I've heard)
Circus Maximus (I'll see it just because they're there)

That all may change once I pick up a few albums, honestly I'd only heard Symphorce and Strato when they were announced...I've grown since then...

AngraRULES said:
This is your personal opinion, and I totally respect it... I'm assuming you don't know a lot by Angra though, some of their stuff is really really sticky and they're memorable at most times... Try giving them another chance, especially with the new cd Temple of Shadows... Maybe they're gonna grow on you =)

I just think, to my ears, they sound a little too much the same between all the songs. Also, the overuse of speedy double bass kinda gets old to me as well. I have the new CD, and it just doesn't do that much for me.

I think Angra's countrymates HIBRIA are a far better band in terms of musicianship, tempo shifts, vocal mastery and guitar arrangements as well. Sorry if I hurt any Angra fans feelings, but that's just the way it is. I certainly don't condemn anyone for liking them.

There are 6 bands that I am looking forward to seeing so far.
1.Conception(I am a big fan of Kamelot)
2.Symphorce(I like Brainstorm and these guys are as good, maybe even better
3.Stratavarius(Old School Prog Band)
4.Angra(I like what I have heard from them , from what I have listened too
5.Therion(Very curious to see them live and how they put together their show compared to the Cd's)
6.Manticora( I like the one Cd I have been listening too)

lifesadream said:
5.Therion(Very curious to see them live and how they put together their show compared to the Cd's)

The orchestral and symphonic part are with samplers... on the stage only are the band plus 2 guys and 2 girls on choirs and a soprano girl. But it's enough, Im sure that you'll enjoy the show. :headbang:

Of Course I am not going to make the Festival, so hah Sucks for me.

Here is my list:

Conception
Stratovarius
Angra
Pink Cream 69
Orphaned Land

Manticora
Symphorce
Circus Maximus
Stride
Therion

Damn it I never known the list could be so hard, but I am sure I want to see Conception, Stratovarius, Angra and Pink Cream 69.

steelreign said:
Photo pit time:

Symphorce - hell yeah! Andy and the German commando will be last year's Tad Morose
PC 69 - a fan for 10 years... simply awesome
Stratovarius - I wish they would play the whole "Visons" CD
Manticora - have had all their discs for awhile - still not sold on the vocals
Stride - sample was cool
Conception - sample was kinda interesting
Circus Maximus - have to hear more

Shopping / hanging backstage time:

Orphaned Land - too bizarre for my tastes
Therion - see above
Angra - too generic for me

Angra is generic....but Symphorce and PC69 are at the top of your list :err:

I cant believe Stratovarius are not at the top of everyones list. They are one of the pioneers of Power Metal and never played the States, they should be at the top of every list. For real!
Seriously, when you think of classic Metal legends you have Maiden, Priest, Dio, Ozzy, etc..
Thrash, Megadeth, Overkill, Testament, at one time Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer.....
Power, Stratovarius, Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Angra, Helloween, Gamma Ray.....