Rank the PPVI Bands in the Order You Most Want to See Them Play

Dark One said:
Fair enough, haha. I guess I just wanted to make the point that since they are such a long standing, successful power metal band, at the very least they should be able to put on an entertaining show to end Progpower, even if you have no intention of buying stock in Velveeta.
I know where you're coming from. I'm guessing, that with the ideal amount of alchohol consumption, I'll have fun with Strat.

Dark One said:
Eh, it's alright I guess, I certainly have no problem with Steve at all. The reason the name thing was a problem for me before when I was writing for Royal Carnage was because I had people emailing me saying "why did you say this here about band X, but then turn around and say this here about band X, show some integrity", and so forth. But since I've scaled back lately due to other commitments, it hasn't been much of a big deal. Though I have to admit, I have been pondering a return to the ring.....
Given that your "Morningrise" review is one of the best reviews I've read on the net, I'd say a return to the ring would be a good thing.

Zod

General Zod said:
Given that your "Morningrise" review is one of the best reviews I've read on the net, I'd say a return to the ring would be a good thing.

Zod

Wow, thanks Zod. Hearing that kind of praise from people who really know their stuff such as you and JayKeeley is humbling and a true compliment.

Thanks for your input, Glenn -- it sounded like those were the bands you were REALLY fired up about in your "here's how it happened" thread.

Se7enChurches said:
anyhow, that being said, my list:

1. Therion - love 'em. can't believe they're gonna be here. Thanks, Paul.

No problem. Any time.

--Err, okay, that "any time" thing is a blatant lie. THAT'd get kinda expensive after a few weeks.

"Yo, it's the 21st straight day and you did say 'any time,' so.....cough up the cash, man......again! We wanna see Therion perform at the Snellville Waffle House. Right now, goddamnit! Get a move on!" o_O :D

General Zod said:
Steve,

Do you ever get to the Troc for any of the shows? If so, you and I and Dark One should get together for a beer or two (or 3 or 4, etc.).

Zod

You know, I knew I was around this board for a while, but I didn't realize that both DarkOnes/Dark Ones were around at about the same time. Now I just feel old! :tickled:

Zod, I make it to the Troc every now and then. I caught Tesla there for the acoustic show on Sunday, and I was there for Iced Earth late last year (Ripper was awesome, but I missed Everygrey because it took a frikkin' hour to get in).

I'd love to meet you & Jason the next time we're all going down there. If not there, then at PPVI!

Steve in Philly

Harvester said:
I sell out every year so I think I'm doing just fine.

Glenn H.

But, Glenn, if you picked othere bands, maybe you'd, um, uh, sell out even more. Um, yeah . . . .

Steve in Philly (Happy Glenn has a huge repetoire of bands he likes)

DarkOne said:
I'd love to meet you & Jason the next time we're all going down there. If not there, then at PPVI!

Steve in Philly

Definitely, I'll be at the following shows at the Troc:

Wednesday 3/21: Amorphis, Into Eternity, Beyond the Embrace
Wednesday 4/6: Kreator, Vader
Saturday 4/23: Soilwork, Dark Tranquillity, Hypocrisy
Wednesday 5/4: Europe

And of course, PP VI

:kickass: :kickass:

Pellaz said:
"Yo, it's the 21st straight day and you did say 'any time,' so.....cough up the cash, man......again! We wanna see Therion perform at the Snellville Waffle House. Right now, goddamnit! Get a move on!" o_O :D

hey, yeah, watch what you offer. "Paul, I need Therion to play my birthday party, can you get on that?"

and yeah, good to see you and Ruthven at the store there; I've run into a few ProgPower people there from time to time (Rakosh comes to mind, and Brett who apparently doesn't post to the forum, but still goes, among a few others)

Ryan

1. Orphaned Land
2. Angra
3. Stratovarius
4. Therion
5. Manticora
6. Pink Cream 69

The rest of the bands equal because I've never heard them.

Harvester said:
1. Conception
2. Circus Maximus
3. Orphaned Land
4. Angra

5-10. Equal.

I don't book a band unless I like 'em.

Glenn H.

Glenn, I'm curious where you'd rank the "headliner that got away" in this list?

Steve in Philly

Seems kind of unusual that Therion is low on the majority of fan's lists. All I can say is listen with an open mind during their set and definately check them out, don't fade off to the motel. They may be a bit unusual to the fan who only likes straight ahead power metal, but if that fan can get into Nightwish, then they will like at least one element of Therion. Personally, I cannot wait to see them play.

DarkOne said:
How would you guys rank the PP bands, in the order of how much you want to see them?

Here's mine:

Angra - Solid albums, incredibly talented, and a great job in PPIII

Pink Cream 69 - Underrated band. Readman an excellent vocalist, solid melodic rock band.

Conception - I Like Kahn, like what I've heard so far, looking forward to hearing the rest of their stuff. Obviously, most others are raving about this one.

Stratovarius - Cheesy? Sure. On the downward swing? Yup. Catalog full of catchy songs? Absolutely!

Symphorce - Haven't heard much, but Andy B was a great frontman last year. What I've heard is good.

Manticora - This band is really growing on me. Powerful music that I like more with each listen.

Orphaned Land - Interesting, but I haven't caught the buzz on them like the rest of the prog world seems to have done.

Therion - Buying the latest album in order to give them a second chance, but I just haven't like what I've heard much. It isn't bad music, but doesn't interest me enough to listen to it. I'll still listen to them at PP.

Heard one song each in the MP3 section and reserving judgment. So far, so good:

Circus Maximus

Stride

I don't know as many of the bands, and there is no one here that hooks me the way some of the past bands have (Circle II Circle, WoMD, Kamelot, Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Sym X). No matter what, though, I expect it will be a great show. I haven't come away disappointed yet.

Steve in Philly

Exploding Ned said:
Seems kind of unusual that Therion is low on the majority of fan's lists. All I can say is listen with an open mind during their set and definately check them out, don't fade off to the motel. They may be a bit unusual to the fan who only likes straight ahead power metal, but if that fan can get into Nightwish, then they will like at least one element of Therion. Personally, I cannot wait to see them play.

Ned, I spend so much money coming to PP that I give every band a chance. So far, the only one I really didn't like was Devin at PPIII.

Funny you should mention Nightwish. I love the band. First time I heard them, though, I couldn't stand 'em. The vocals just annoyed me. I went back and listened again a few months later, and really liked the music, while sort of ignoring the vocals. A little while later, I acquired "the taste", so to speak, and now think Tarja fits the band wonderfully. She blew me away at PPIV.

I still plan on giving Therion a chance. I even plan on buying their latest album before seeing them. I've learned to like too many bands through PP to quickly dismiss any band.

Steve in Philly

1. PC 69 - I like their over the top hard rock approach, plus David Readman is a killer vocalist! Also, I love the drummer's drum set....that's what rock n roll is all about baby!
2. Conception - PP VI has turned me on to them, and I love what I've heard! You can't go wrong with ol' Roy!
3. Angra - I've been a fan for awhile now
4. Symphorce - With Andy, you can't go wrong...the dude is an awesome front man!
5. Stratovarius - One of the main bands that got me into this genre!
6. Circus Maximus - I love the clips I've heard, and I think I'll really dig em'!
7. Stride - Again, I've liked what I've heard, and I think I'll really dig em'!
8. Manticora - This stuff is a little abrasive for my taste, but the live show should be good!
9. Therion - Nightwish have ruined me! I can't dig operatic stuff, unless Tarja is doing it!
10. Orphaned Land - I just flat out can't get into it! Maybe it's over my head!

Its
Stratovarius--Im sponsoring them, so there is a big reason!
Conception- Who would have thought this would happen? An amiable breakup of a great band
Angra- Thank god we get to see them-- I have worn out my DVD of theirs-- too bad the sound sucks so bad on it
Therion- What a great catalog of music they have-- some of it is not my taste, but I have a totally open mind about seeing them live
Orphaned Land- Loved the songs I heard online
Pink Cream 69- I enjoyed the Andi stuff, haven't really liked their last couple of albums
Symphorce-- Haven't listed to the CD yet
Circus Maximus- same as above.
Manticora- same as above
Stryde- same as above.