File delivery

Heabow

More cowbell!
Aug 24, 2011
France
Hi everyone

Well, when I had to deliver the final files (DDP, WAV, etc.) to clients, I used to ZIP the folders then send it via Dropbox or Wetransfer. It's a compression of the files so the quality must be altered for sure. I don't have a FTP server and some clients don't want to use Dropbox (don't know why really). So what would be the best way to send such files to client to ensure the maximum quality at the end?

HI

If you zip the file the quality wont be affected.. its loseless!
i would always suggest to zip,rar, etc your mastered files (ddp, iso images, wav, etc ) if you are uploading the files somewhere and somebody needs to download them.. also for graphic data. if you going to upload the the file uncompressed, like a pure .wav file, and you there will be an communcication error during upload, or when somebody downloads the file, and there might happen a communication error, you cant uncompress the zip archive..so you know the file is corrupt and download again or need to upload again the file, but if you just sending the .wav file only you wont have a validation if the up&download gone complete, and if the file is corrupt somewhere most likely the corrupt file will be used for duplication

perhaps the client dont want to use dropbox because they only have internet access where they work and its blocked by the firewall (like in my case..;) )

That's a good question!
My internet contract includes a high speed 10GB online storage, so I allways send the files uncompressed.
There was a time where I sent zip files to the client for listening and the finals on a USB-Stick via regular mail. I might start this again since USB drives have become very affordable for every sort of client.

I would love to hear some alternatives

HI

if you going to upload the the file uncompressed, like a pure .wav file, and you there will be an communcication error during upload, or when somebody downloads the file, and there might happen a communication error, you cant uncompress the zip archive..so you know the file is corrupt and download again or need to upload again the file, but if you just sending the .wav file only you wont have a validation if the up&download gone complete, and if the file is corrupt somewhere most likely the corrupt file will be used for duplication
;) )

Never thought of that,

thanks for bringing it up

Hi everyone

Well, when I had to deliver the final files (DDP, WAV, etc.) to clients, I used to ZIP the folders then send it via Dropbox or Wetransfer. It's a compression of the files so the quality must be altered for sure. I don't have a FTP server and some clients don't want to use Dropbox (don't know why really). So what would be the best way to send such files to client to ensure the maximum quality at the end?

You're confusing audio compression with data compression man. There's no loss of quality from zipping up a file.

Thanks guys. Maybe I make confusion between audio and data compression but, to make it sure, there is no loss if I ZIP a folder with audio files in??

Thanks guys. Maybe I make confusion between audio and data compression but, to make it sure, there is no loss if I ZIP a folder with audio files in??

No, data compression interprets the file differently to save space - it doesn't change the resolution of the file to save space.

An example of how data compression works would be if you were to say 10^8 instead of 100000000. They are both the same number but the first is expressed differently to save space. Data compression looks for ways to retain exactly the same file but express it in a smaller fashion.

Audio compression actually changes the output of the file by downsizing the file size and resolution using masking methods and low pass filtering - for example cutting off sounds in the high audible spectrum such as 18khz or rounding up or down specific auditory values so they are less accurate.

A good example of how data compression works as a point of comparison would be a FLAC file actually - FLAC expresses lossless data in a more economic fashion to a WAV file thus saving space whilst retaining the same information. Zipping an audio file works in a similar way.

Having a monthly or yearly account at one of the services like sendspace.com or wetransfer is a good move because you can manage everything easier and it will give you unlimited or a lot more space. Sendspace account for years here and usually have 20 to 40 gigs on there at a time.