Mastered delivery: DDP?

Heabow

More cowbell!
Aug 24, 2011
France
Hi Sneapers,

I read some articles on the web about DDP but it still sounds a bit mysterious to me.

Basically what I wanna know is:
Can I deliver the mastered files to my client directly via Dropbox using DDP format or do I have to burn a CD? (I'm working on Wave Editor)

Thanks!

You can do both
-DDP= digital
-PMCD=hardware (or physical if you prefer)

Your client still need to burn the DDP for send it to pressing plan (could be wrong on that, maybe some pressing plan accept DDP but I doubt)

Ah ok, that's what I thought.
I read DDP is more secure and allows the pressing factory to check the files before making the glass master but in that case, what's the interest of DDP (digital format) if we still needs to burn a CD at the end before sending it to the factory?

Ah ok, that's what I thought.
I read DDP is more secure and allows the pressing factory to check the files before making the glass master but in that case, what's the interest of DDP (digital format) if we still needs to burn a CD at the end before sending it to the factory?

Quicker transfer than via upsp/fedex...etc. Your client can have their master in a couple of hours instead of a couple of day/week.

Oops, I was wrong sorry:confused:
You can send DDP to pressing plan, and you don't have to burn it (you can if you want).

No problem man hehe...
That's even more cool in fact. BTW it's pretty weird I didn't find much info on these details. My 'search strategy' is probably bad ahah!

Mikaël-ange;10389694 said:
Oops, I was wrong sorry:confused:
You can send DDP to pressing plant, and you don't have to burn it (you can if you want).

Different plants have different rules and some still require a redbook standard CD unfortunately. IMO DDP is preferable b/c it takes media errors out of the equation but I'm sure they have their reasons.

http://www.sonorissoftware.com does that for example (I mean the OEM thing). Don't want to do promotion... just an example in case you didn't find anything. But be warned: short time ago, we delivered a DDP + CD-Text (which is not part of the DDP standard directly) to a plant and they refused it because of some strange errors with the CD-Text showing up in their Eclipse tool. The Sonoris thing told me that it was valid...

Oh, and I would prefer DDP as client. It's so much simpler and more reliable...

I didn't know about OEM software tbh but I work on Wave Editor and I think it's ok with it. Will ask 'em!

EDIT: can I use Dropbox to send DDP to my client/replication facilities or should I use another way?

The safest way to send files over the net is always to zip the files into an archive before sending them, people claim that less data is lost. Send a zipped archive via any online service and you'll be fine.

The client CAN´T burn the DDP image to a CD. But all companies can create their glass-master with the DDP.

I only send out ddp-images and never had any problems with pressing companies. Its much saver and you don´t have to be afraid that someone fucked up the CD and clients blame you for that ;)

DDP is an image of your master that can be sent to the plant via ftp.

It's a good idea to burn a cd from the ddp to check/quality control before sending.

If you send a client a ddp there is not much they can do with it unless they have a 3rd party ddp reader like Sonoris DDP player OEM http://www.sonorissoftware.com/catalog/ddp-creator-p-47.html

Wave Editor will create DDP but it's a little hard to get around at first so maybe check out these video's on Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/601928

There's also DSP Quatro that is a low budget program that will create ddp.

Plants will take a red book cd and convert it to ddp for replication not the other way around. GL

I've already seen this WE tuto but thank you :)
I'm new on this software (I'm using it since 2 days ago). What I usually do is create tracks, then place indexes between those, then I fill the fields like ISRC, etc. (don't know yet what's 'DDP user text' but I will search). So at that moment, I can burn a disc or export DDP. I think it's the right way to do.

I've already burnt a redbook CD for my previous "pseudo mastering" and sent it to the factory in a crystal box but I had an email from the factory saying that the CD was not usable (it had some very little scratches on it due to the movement from inserting it in the CD burner if you see what I mean) it was almost invisible but it was not good. They also advised me to send CD's in plastic wallets (??) That's why DDP sounds like a good solution to ensure that the plant get the premaster as they should. Now if you say that they want CD-R to convert it to DDP, that's a different story. Each plant has it's way of working I guess...

Quality control is a big issue with mastering.

You want to use good media. Ty Yuden/JVC is recommend and used by a large number of ME's.

Also there is a difference between duplication and replication.

With replication a glass master is created at the plant from the ddp and used for pressing. Replication is usually large runs. 1000 or more while duping is usually less than 1000. Duplication is just cloning or copying the disc from the master pmcd.

About pro CD-R scratch proof, I found this but nothing to buy online. I sent an email to them. If you have some good tips to get them, please let me know :)

Anyway thanks for the replies gentlemen!

EDIT: Got the answer! For those who want to buy the same product, here is what I found at a decent price.

If you set compression strength to something other than just "Storage" then you can argue that less data is lost.
If the source files are compressed then the transfered file will be smaller and take less time to transfer.
Probability of loss or corruption of data increases with time.
Does that make sense to anyone? Just a theory.

More importantly though, using zip or rar or whatever, you can actually check if any data has been lost or been corrupted during the transfer.
Winzip and Winrar has built-in crc checksum which will fail in case of data corruption.
This will work even if you just set the compression scheme to "Storage" and no actual compression happens.
Should satisfy even the crazy people who believe that zip/rar compression actually degrades the audio quality :p