__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Filii Nigrantium Infernalium- A Era do Abutre/ A Queda
Self-released – MCD – 2004
By Russell Garwood

filii.jpg

In case you hadn't guessed it from the name, Filii Nigrantium Infernalium play black metal. Having formed in Portugal in the late eighties, the band recently returned from a long hiatus, to release this collection of songs, which originally appeared on 1995's A Era do Abutre MCD and a picture 7" LP from 2002, A Queda. The music isn't pure black however; strong thrash influences are an effective addition, traditional heavy metal moments are also great, while the stripped-down guitar and vocal sections of their later works are – dare I say it – rocky. There are occasional very slow, almost doom-reminiscent moments, juxtaposed by super-fast solos. The more recent guitar work is largely chord based, but melodic and quirky. In older songs the instrument tends to be harsher, but less memorable apart from occasional slower solo lines. The drums are solid, coping with the occasional time changes well, and again showing satisfying individuality. The spewed vocals also vary between the two periods on display here. Later vox are a more high-pitched, unusual screech, while 1995's work tends to be more a guttural rasp. The bass is prominent, driving and melodic.

A Era do Abutre/ A Queda is a memorable, and enjoyable demo. Filii Nigrantium Infernalium are technically proficient musicians, and have a knack for writing heavy yet catchy - if basic - songs. While A Era do Abutre can at times seem dated, it still has moments of very welcome individuality, which have come to the forefront by 2002's A Queda. It is these two most recent tracks that are, undoubtedly, my favourites. They have the cleanest production, while the four other songs are far muddier, like much traditional black metal. It is refreshing to hear this more contemporary take on a classic sound, and I look forward to hearing further work. Especially if the band to continue developing the idiosyncrasies so apparent on A Queda…

Official Filii Nigrantium Infernalium website