circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Filii Nigrantium Infernalium – Fellatrix Discordia Pantokrator
ProCon Media – PQP001 – November 1st, 2005
By Jason Jordan

felatrix.jpg

A long time ago in a webzine far, far away, I reviewed Fellatrix Discordia Pantokrator, and by the time you reach the end of “Calypso” you’ll know why I used such a corny introduction. To move on, though, Filii Nigrantium Infernalium are from Portugal and tout a thrashy version of black metal that achieves a unique sound. Still, it’s not as if they’re astoundingly innovative, because I hear several influences within these songs’ folds, although it is difficult to pinpoint exactly which bands they draw from and where those specific instances appear. Rest assured, however, that this is indeed a fresh outing, which differentiates itself from most of the tired BM scene.

As far as history goes, this beloved Portuguese crew have existed for 15 years but Fellatrix Discordia Pantokrator is their debut full-length. Sometimes when talent isn’t used for constant – or regularly scheduled – output, it grows mold and ultimately spoils in the end. That’s not the case here. Like a fine wine (though I’d take beer or liquor over wine any day), Filii Nigrantium Infernalium don’t seem to be hampered by the passage of time, and may even prosper as a result of taking more of it. Presenting nine songs, clocking in at 45 minutes total, this is a substantial dose of black metal – featuring expert musicianship, skilled songwriting, and a solid handle on groove. Belarhauzer’s (guitars, vocals) screeching BM screams are top-of-the-line, reminiscent of the frontmen of Burzum, Fleurety, and In the Woods…. Other than Vikernes’s promise of returning to primitive black metal, the vocalists above have moved on to different projects, or nothing at all, which is precisely why I’m so enthralled with Belarhauzer’s performance on this disc. While there are plenty of bouncy, jumpy ditties to be had – “Calypso,” Morte Geométrica,” “Sacra Morte,” and others – there are also numerous slower ones. “Bordel no Eden” is a fine example of such: the organic tribal drumming mixed with ace female vocals and Belarhauzer’s tortured shrieks is a delectable treat. So, after sampling songs of varying tempos, it’s apparent that this foursome has no problem being versatile.

A copout would be comparing Filii Nigrantium Infernalium to Cradle of Filth and then calling it a day. It’s true that there are a few similar characteristics walking about, but this is much deeper and more primal than anything the Brits have produced. Otherwise – though I hear the influence of myriad bands within Fellatrix Discordia Pantokrator – I keep shaking my head when it comes time to liken these Portuguese to another entity. At any rate, this is a refreshing take on BM, especially considering how formulaic the genre has become.

8/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Filii Nigrantium Infernalium Website
Official ProCon Media Website