circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Mortuus – De Contemplanda Morte
The Ajna Offensive – flame40 – April 4, 2007
By Jason Jordan

mortuusdcm.jpg

Sweden’s Mortuus play a plodding form of black metal that is of high quality despite the tempo at which it is most often relayed. In other words, just because the material on De Contemplanda Morte ranges from slow to mid-pace doesn’t mean it’s significantly less potent than much of what we’ve seen The Ajna Offensive unleash. Nevertheless, while Mortuus impress with their full-length, it’s honestly not up to the level of craftsmanship we’ve heard from the likes of labelmates Antaeus, Deathspell Omega, Funeral Mist, Secrets of the Moon, Watain, et al, but I say that because I typically prefer fast, rip-roaring BM to its slower, depressing alternative. If you’re searching for a complement to the releases above, however, DCM is indeed a worthwhile investment.

Even though this duo march along at a laidback pace, there are a couple exceptions to the norm – the beginning of ‘Astral Pandemonium’ and the end of ‘The Illumination of Job’. Otherwise, De Contemplanda Morte is a comfortable yet somber ride with plenty of traditional BM elements. Rarely do Mortuus venture into previously unexplored territory , if ever, but still manage to convey a sense of despair without employing much originality. Several aspects parallel common USBM traits such as tone, tempo, etc. – see ‘Supplication for the Demise of All – Withdrawal into the Lifeless Sanctum’ for details – though this outfit are unmistakably Scandinavian. The vocals are different than most because there’s an echo effect in place, which may be intentional, and while the growls-cum-echo are off-putting at first, they’re easier to handle once accustomed.

De Contemplanda Morte is a very good debut that does Ajna Offensive proud, even if it’s not quite up to snuff with other entries in their catalog. The unsettling atmospheres are great – often unrelentingly gloomy – and it’s apparent that DCM is a success. I recommend Mortuus as a breather between their faster peers.

Official The Ajna Offensive Website

I enjoyed this album very much. I don't have a problem with Black Metal played at a slower speed as long as it's handled properly. I really enjoyed the bass work on the album. There are parts where it seperates from the guitars and really shines. Great album.