(finally) Pictures from the Jaxx show 04/25/2007

I don't think Paul is in a very good mood today judging by his thread responses LOL

I don't care much for the "Love Shack" joke on here, mainly because it's something that has nothing to do with ND or my role in it, and causes people to IM me and write me asking "So what's the deal with this Love Shack thing?" Ugh! lol

Just to put it to rest now for those curious.....Aside from working security, I play in a cover band to make money on the side. It's not metal, it's classic rock and 80s pop and that sort of thing. It's fun to do on the side and I make decent $$$ doing it. I make ZERO personal profit from playing in ND. Alot of people in the metal scene would think this is "gay" or that I'm some "poseur" or some other narrow-minded ridiculous shit that I have long since become too old to care about, but I prefer to keep my work and private life separate from ND. If you guys want to talk to me about things that are more personal or "inside jokes" or whatever, you can write me in PMs or whatever and I will talk to you there. I prefer to keep all that stuff away from the ND boards, because this forum is about the band and our music and things related more closely to that. Cool?

It has been a pleasure meeting you guys on here, and getting to know you a bit more and everything, so don't think the comments we've made lately regarding this sort of subject means that we don't appreciate you guys. But sometimes with certain subjects or comments, this public forum is just not the place for it, ok?

And yeah I know the whole Love Shack thing was a joke started by my own bandmates, believe me I've already yelled at them plenty for that too. lol

Larry, you know, a friend of mine, from a big metal band, also plays in an 80's pop cover band just for the $$$.
I remember he was interviewed to one of the biggest metal magazines in Europe, and the interviewer tried to make fun of him for playing pop on the side, being who he is and how famous he is in the metal scene... you know what he said?
"I know people in metal bands who cut meat in the supermarket, or paint cars, or work in a pipe factory... me?
I do what I love doing the most: play guitar. My metal band is my passion, the 80's pop one, is my job, in both I get to play guitar. Jealous? "

Two years ago, Ice T was interviewd on the Jay Leno show. Jay brought up the role Ice T played in some lame horrow movie in which he had
to wear a bunny suit. Jay made so many jokes about the bunny suit and the fact that the movie failed.
Ice T just said: " they paid me one million dollars for that roll, Jay. For one million dollars I'd wear a bunny suit, roll in cow poop, and play a gay transvestite.."

:lol:

Fuck the world Larry.

and Paul, Jaxx doesn;t have showers, but they do have great stage and excellent sound (and friendly people! ;) )
Hope to see you guys there again soon, seriously, I had such a great time seeing you live!
:kickass:

Karen, everyone at Jaxx was very cool. There was only one person... not so much. Everyone else was awesome to us, and we'd be more then happy to come back.

A shower is like finding a pot of gold on the road. hahaha You ALWAYS remember the clubs that have a shower!

Yeah :lol: you're right about that... you arrive to the club, and discover the showers in the back stage....
and then: the excitment.. "they have a shower!" next, a run to your travel bag to grab the shampoo and your towel... hehe!
Tour life... you eat like a homeless and drink like and irish groom on his wedding day... but you gotta love every minute ;)

Im glad you liked Jaxx Paul!
Next time we need to take a pic together!

How much longer can you guys whip the same dead fucking horse? Seriously, it stopped being funny about a year ago.

Sorry dude......
I don't think anyone has actually brought up the "Loveshack" thing in a while around here. When I saw Larry surrounded by the ladies, it was the first thing that popped in my head.

Karen, I agree with what you said, and I'm not ashamed at all of playing in the cover band. I've been pretty open on here and other places about the fact that I love new wave, classic rock, 50s and 60s oldies, etc. Playing all those kinds of music has helped me become a more well-rounded musician, and I'm proud of it. If someone wants to only know how to play Slayer and Morbid Angel style riffs, hey that's great for them, whatever. But without those other influences we couldn't have written much of the music we have. Same goes for my other past and present bandmates who've written for ND like Vito and Eric. You basically have to be open-minded and diverse in your tastes and influences to fit into this band.

I make pretty decent money playing the covers circuit. Which is great, but it's a shame that metal bands can't make the same kind of money unless you're very successful.

Jaxx was cool, stage was a good size and all. Not a big turnout given it was an underground tour and in the middle of the week. I still think it did decently, though certain people didn't seem to feel the same way, heh. With luck, someday we'll come through again on another tour.

One more photo from Jaxx...

l_df4b9e612e29b64bad5afe3a484ee6da.jpg

Larry and Dead Lioness you guys hit it right on the head music is to be enjoyed. Larry the more knowledge you have about different music and the more different styles you can play just makes you a better musician! My tastes run the whole spectrum to and that is what keeps me from getting tired of anything. The tour kicked ass period. You guys where great to meet .Just a great night.Hope to see you guys again soon.

you're right larry :) i have also played in a band like that, where you can sometimes play half the songs you hear in a certain situation, hehe.

tomorrow i am sort of auditioning on bass for a new band too... it's a gothic metal band, like nightwish, but since we're dutch, even more like After Forever and Epica, you know. Nothing i'd normally listen to (although i have in the past), but i think i could have lots of fun playing in it. in that style you can do plenty of gigs, quite interesting, looking forward to that part. So maybe the style is not really my cup of tea, but tbh i am not capable/experienced enough as a musician to play in some ultra technical / progressive band. So if I can have fun in there, I don't care.

Now I hope it will go well... I first contacted them yesterday, tomorrow I'll be meeting the guitarist and drummer to see if we "click" and to work on my learning the songs a bit. if it goes well, sunday band rehearsal, next week, first gig :erk: :loco: nothing like takin' it slow, you know....

considering i havent played in a while: this means blisters :p

Aside from working security, I play in a cover band to make money on the side. It's not metal, it's classic rock and 80s pop and that sort of thing. It's fun to do on the side and I make decent $$$ doing it. I make ZERO personal profit from playing in ND.

I think a lot of people would be surprised to hear that you make ZERO profit from ND...I realize that's not what it's all about, but that's just a fucking crime, man. I guess that's why the true musicians like you guys tend to be more successful, because you put your art first. That must be a lot of fun to do the cover band circuit. I bet you get lots of jaw-drops from unsuspecting ND fans...:p

so wait, playing covers of songs of established major artists pays double? with that I mean, it pay the original artist AND the cover band? :loco:

but playing in a smaller band with all originals does not pay squat?

The band makes money, but we turn the profits back into the band, and not into our pockets. We use it for travelling, printing up merch, filming videos, and things like that.

What Larry is saying, we don't make any personal income from Novembers Doom. It's all back into the business.

The band makes money, but we turn the profits back into the band, and not into our pockets. We use it for travelling, printing up merch, filming videos, and things like that.

What Larry is saying, we don't make any personal income from Novembers Doom. It's all back into the business.

Gotcha, that makes sense. It's still too bad there isn't something left as "profit"...you guys deserve it. I'll just say "thanks" for putting everything you have into the music...money, sweat, tears...your music means the world to me!

Right, any money we make from gigs, cd sales, or merch sales goes right back into the band to make more merch, travel to more gigs, etc. There's not enough $$ left over to go into anyone's pockets. The amount of money that the band does earn is minimal, all things considered. Occasionally we get some nice guarantees and do well with merch sales, but too often you'll find that people want our services for next to nothing. We're lucky that with the label we're on, our royalties are very fair and paid on time, unlike many other bands who I know that've really had to struggle to see one dime from their respective labels.