finally put my new Slate Drums 1.5 in action...

James Murphy

Mar 26, 2002
... in a big fat rock mix: HERE

music was recorded quickly and sonically not that great along with some editing errors... but a very good rock band that i had fun mixing.... and the Slate Drums worked out titties!

Sounds great James. Were these mixed with natural drums at all, or purely Slate samples?? Which samples if you don't mind revealing?? I'm really diggin' that kick drum.

-Joe

yeah, blended with real drums.... cymbals are all the actual kit.... off the top of my head it was Kick 14 Z3 and Snare 11 Z3, witht the Z4 added in on the verses on the snare.

I know the thread is about the Slate drums used in the mix (which sound great for this mix by the way), but I've got to compliment you on the backing vox in the choruses. It makes things thick and really just blends and sits well together. Really nice touch. Great mix.

Hey James, great mix! Vocals sound very impressive.
The mix seems a little muffled overall....maybe the guitars are too high in the mix and the vocals disappear a little....
Great works anyway!!

p.s.
Ops...I read it's a quick mix so...sorry for the critics! Very good slate sound!

i referenced other big rock mixes, not metal, when i decided on the spectral balances. breaking benjamin and dark new day to be specific.. anyway it's not the final mastering... i may even make a few mix tweaks... thinking about brightening up the guitars a bit.... maybe you're feelin' that too.

Awesome mix as always James! Totally ruling drums and big guitars. The vocals also sit really nicely in this one, big without overpowering anything else.

I agree - it does sound really good! Far better than anything I could hope to accomplish!
There is only one thing - it almost sounds as if the snare has a slight flam during the chorus. Is it just me, or is that intentional?
In looking at the bands pics I noticed the Randall Amp, and other things. Did the band do a pre-production type of thing and then send it to you for mixing, etc?