finally put my new Slate Drums 1.5 in action...

yeah, the band recorded themselves.... the flam in the chorus was the "bad editing" i mentioned at the top of the thread. they moved the snares and did not move the overheads... i did some ducking to help it, but could not eliminate it.

when the riff repeats the 2nd time before the vocals kick in i hear a poopy kick edit but thats on them not you. mix sounds good. i like those toms and snare allot.

when the riff repeats the 2nd time before the vocals kick in i hear a poopy kick edit but thats on them not you. mix sounds good. i like those toms and snare allot.
yeah, other than reamping/ drum replacing/enhancing and a bit of vox tuning, i didn't edit at all. glad you dig the mix.... kick and snare courtesy of mr. Slate.

I cant hold wait any more.. Please do tell whats with the guitars?

I just have a feeling he's gonna tell us its something like pod now hahah
could be i guess.. has a TINY boxiness to it, but it sounds decent
I'd still like to know how you mixed it/settings ;)

I'll save my guess on the amps then. Sounds very good James, and I dig the song. The snare is perfect for the song I have got to get the slate samples.
save your guess until i tell??... lol, that's not exactly fair play now is it? what kind of "guess" would that be then? :loco:

:p

Sounds good. Can you do anything about that chomping hi-hat though? It seems a bit louder than it should be, IMO.

Like, the guy is going nuts on the crashes, which are pushed back quite a bit, but the high hat is right there, up front. Sounds great mixwise, aside from that.

sounds KILLER. no more to say then that... the drums, vox, guitars, back vox, and bass... whole package deal, great stuff James.

Sounds good. Can you do anything about that chomping hi-hat though? It seems a bit louder than it should be, IMO.

Like, the guy is going nuts on the crashes, which are pushed back quite a bit, but the high hat is right there, up front. Sounds great mixwise, aside from that.
yeah, but only cuz you asked so nice. ;) ... heh heh, actually this was me trying to not lose the hat's timing reference while keeping the OH's back enough to mask the bad snare editing in the chorus... bringing the cymbals up more will make the flamming more pronounced and lowering the hat could suck as well.... but, i'll likely figure something out, since the flamming of the snare with it's image in the OH's hitting early only happens in the chorus. i have time before i actually have to mix the whole album so there's time for changes. anyway, those balances as they stand are not far off the tracks i referenced while mixing... Breaking Benjamin and Dark New Day.

I really like it when those power chords come slamming down. Very big. Very thick. I wouldn't brighten them anymore. They're fine just the way they are.
:)

I really like the sparse/dense mix texture transition from the verses to choruses on this one. Great job James; I'm liking your newer mixes more and more. I particularly like that you distanced yourself from the 'metal' mixing mindset and actually approached the mix based on what the band seems to be trying to do.

You definitely seem to have the modern rock fatness down. Although I've got to say, with those Snare samples it's very hard to make a bad move. The tracks almost mix themselves around those sounds.

It's a shame that the band's drum editing is so pox... you can clearly hear certain punch-ins and edits and it breaks the continuity of the song.

The tracks almost mix themselves around those sounds.
glad you dig it.... but i do seem to recall putting in some hard work on this mix. i wish it had mixed itself... lol.. i'd have had time to watch some of the new DVD's i've bought lately finally. ;)

Hey James, Keep mixing mate, i can tell your mixing getting a lot better, i suppose it helps that this is a more song based mix.

Guitar tones again are good but again i'd take another look at your drums, i think you should consider a little ambience, to me they sound too dry.

as you stated you added an extra snare in the chorus, i would look at your snr level in this section, it really sticks out and dominates more than necessary.

I'm also struggling to hear the bass guitar and do think the kick drum is over clicky and also a bit loud, i think this more frequency than level though.

I am Very Metal

Sounds great James, maybe a little muffled as other's have mentioned, I feel it needs a little more seperation as well. Otherwise it kicks ass as usual dude. :)

Hey James, Keep mixing mate, i can tell your mixing getting a lot better, i suppose it helps that this is a more song based mix.

Guitar tones again are good but again i'd take another look at your drums, i think you should consider a little ambience, to me they sound too dry.

as you stated you added an extra snare in the chorus, i would look at your snr level in this section, it really sticks out and dominates more than necessary.

I'm also struggling to hear the bass guitar and do think the kick drum is over clicky and also a bit loud, i think this more frequency than level though.

I am Very Metal
er, yeah...okie dokie.

i think you misread a few things. if you are struggling to hear the bass then i don't even know what to say to that.... check your speakers our or something. the snare is actually too low in the chorus and it's that way on purpose...... which you'd know if you'd carefully read. kick drum is is not too clicky and the and the ambiance on the drums is fine, if you can't hear it then once again, i'd look at your speakers..... Listen to Breaking Benjamim's "The Diary Of Jane", wonderfully mixed by Chris Lord-Alge... this is the type of vibe and balances (not sounds) i was going for.... i'm more than happy to accept criticism, though i did not ask for any.... i've duly noted a few comments left here already, and agree enough that i plan to change a few things when i get back to this next week some time.... but you are pretty far off the mark. i mix professionally, for a living... i don't even know what the hell to make of your opening sentence. almost think you're just taking the piss.

I am Very Music

Sounds great James, maybe a little muffled as other's have mentioned, I feel it needs a little more separation as well. Otherwise it kicks ass as usual dude. :)
no, actually only one other guy said anything about being "muffled"... and the more i sit on it the more i think it's not really... just a tad upper mid bump in the mastering and it'll be right where it needs to be. the separation though, can't even come close to agreeing with you there... across the board the comment i get from everyone i play this for is regarding how good the separation is, and that you can hear literally everything... which is a hallmark of my mixes if i don't say so myself.