FINALLY, Rush to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2008
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame means about as much as the GRAMMYs to people who actually listen to the bands it inducts - nothing. But it's still kind of cool to see that finally Rush is getting inducted, I must admit. I never thought it would happen.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...-public-enemy-heart-and-randy-newman-20121211

"It's a terrific honor and we'll show up smiling," Rush's singer and bassist, Geddy Lee, tells Rolling Stone. "It made my mom happy, so that's worth it." Lee is especially happy for Rush's army of hardcore fans. "It was a cause they championed," he says. "I'm very relieved for them and we share this honor with them, for sure."

Well, RUSH has reached the status of "Icon" in mainstream media in the past 10 years, thanks to South Park, movie appearances, music in TV Commercials, etc, etc....

It is now socially acceptable to like RUSH, where it wasn't back when we were all in high school.

The same can't be said for Deep Purple, for example.

KISS will certainly get there.

I don't know WHY any fan, at this point, would WANT bands like Rush, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, etc forced in alongside Randy Newman, Donna Summer and Run DMC. We all know the HOF is bullshit, and that kind of recognition is pointless, but we all want it to happen anyway...I don't understand.

Me personally I don't care. Just the abundance of great bands vs. crap that is there just still astounds.

Well, RUSH has reached the status of "Icon" in mainstream media in the past 10 years, thanks to South Park, movie appearances, music in TV Commercials, etc, etc....

It is now socially acceptable to like RUSH, where it wasn't back when we were all in high school.

No question, and of course it's well deserved if you ask me.

Means as much to me as any awards show....nothing. It is well deserved, and obviously long overdue, but I doubt the band or the fans has ever measured their success by the induction.

Means as much to me as any awards show....nothing. It is well deserved, and obviously long overdue, but I doubt the band or the fans has ever measured their success by the induction.

Of course not, but the thing exists, so it's natural to want some of "our" bands to be recognized. Same with the Grammys.

I get the feeling that Rush got in because Heart got in. There would have been a monster shitstorm if Canadian-based Heart got in before Rush, long considered a "National Treasure" in Canada, that could have hurt Jann Wenner's magazine group in Canada. Even if this was not the case, it is long overdue for Rush.

Yes, but they moved up to Vancouver on the urging of Ann Wilson in the early '70's. So, many consider Heart to be Canadian based as their launching pad was from Vancouver, British Columbia.
I can confirm this. When I first time listened to Heart on the radio around mid-seventies, they were tagged Canadian. Only years later I learned that the Wilson sisters were born in California and actually were US citizens, but still many people consider Heart Canadian.

Dunno what it's worth, if anything, but Rush and Heart deserve to have a place at the HOF.

First of all, how can KISS not be in the HoF, yet their costumes are displayed in their museum???

Second, I don't want Rush in the HoF, nearly as much as I want even a SLIGHT chance of getting up-close tickets to actually SEE them perform, as opposed to only nose-bleed seats ever being available. Somebody gimme a good hookup for really good seats. I'd appreciate THAT more than their entering the HoF.

*starts up Rush Greatest Hits*

Just because Heart went up to Vancouver to play doesn't make them Canadian. I've never heard anyone ever say this. Does this make Twisted Sister or Jimi Hendrix British because they went there to make it big? No it doesn't.