finishing new studio layout (couple questions)

jherman

I lurk, A LOT.
Jul 25, 2004
NWI
www.myspace.com
Hey all

I've finally started construction on my new location (HURRAY!) As the inners of the control room and great room are being framed, now is the perfect time to get cables ran. (I will have 32 channels of XLR available in my rig, i've also used REDco audio for my previous wall plates and such)

what else should i grab? (headphone plates, 1/4inch plates, etc) What do you suggest and from where should i acquire them?

thanks for your time.

Cat 5/6 and 1/4" for sure. I would make sure that you ran some speaker lines and shielded Hi-z lines. Also, I would run some male xlr connectors in addition to the female cennections that your mics will be plugged into. That should cover most things.

Thanks for your input every one, I'm honestly mostly concerned about getting the feeds out to headphones and such. I had some suggestions on a different forum for HDMI, Firewire ETC. I just don't... really see the need for that? lol

Thanks for your input every one, I'm honestly mostly concerned about getting the feeds out to headphones and such. I had some suggestions on a different forum for HDMI, Firewire ETC. I just don't... really see the need for that? lol

Consider those sort of things to be future-proofing yourself. You'll want HDMI if you need any screens set up going to the live rooms, particularly if you want to do dialog replacement work in a vocal booth or something.

Out of curiosity: what do you use that for?

Ethernet patchbays are all the rage lately. Cat-5/6 to AES configurations are rather efficient when connecting between the live and control rooms.

Also, computer/server rooms aren't uncommon in big studios. You might have your main DAW in the control room but you would put any servers/slaves you run in a different room that is more focused on storing said machines. Might have a pretty fierce air-con running in there to keep them all nice and cool or something. Much better option to running them all in the control room.

Ethernet patchbays are all the rage lately. Cat-5/6 to AES configurations are rather efficient when connecting between the live and control rooms.

Interesting. But wouldn't that mean involving an additional AD/DA stage? So it'd be Source -> AD -> DA -> Pre -> AD -> DAW? Pesonally I wouldn't care, but many are of course really anal about conversion. :Spin:

EDIT: saw you mentioned Cat to AES. So you'd run the mic pres in the live room?