Finnish literature

Eos

The Entwined
Nov 23, 2001
Switzerland / Croatia
www.metalpics.ch
I´m looking for some good finnish literature and I was wondering if some of you guys could help me about it.
For now I read "Jänisken Vuosi" by Arto Paasilinna (of course I didn´t read it in finnish, it´s just the title ;) *g*). It´s was ok but didn´t really impress me. I didn´t like the style. The sentenced were bit too short, the stories pretty undetailed. A bit like a book for kids. I gave the guy one more chance and bought "Ukkosenjumalan poika" today. For now it seems much better :).
Can you maybe recommend me some other good finnish writers/books? Of course it would be nice if the stories would be going on in Finland :D

have you read kalevala? finnish traditional epics (is that the right word?) well known among amorphis-fans..? :rolleyes:
i haven't much read finnish literature, but as a kid.. i prefer foreign writers. maybe mika waltari or sth you should try.. but don't blame me if that sucks.. :D
i don't think that's translated, but if some day you happen to find some poetry of a.w. yrjänä, you'd buy it right away! :)

Originally posted by Eos

For now I read "Jänisken Vuosi" by Arto Paasilinna (of course I didn´t read it in finnish, it´s just the title ;) *g*).
I love that book. Probably my fave finnish book by my favourite finnish author. Have you tried Tuntematon sotilas (The Unknown Soldier) by Väinö Linna. Some info here

I was just about to recommend the same book as Har. I've read it twice or three times, can't remember for sure. Great stuff. And same authors Täällä Pohjantähden Alla (Here Beneath the Northstar). It's a trilogy and tho I haven't read it till the end for some reason, I strongly recommend that one... And not just because of the opening words:

"In the beginning there were the swamp, the hoe - and Jussi" :D

now that I've mentioned it, maybe I should start to read it again..

Originally posted by Eos
I´m looking for some good finnish literature and I was wondering if some of you guys could help me about it.
For now I read "Jänisken Vuosi" by Arto Paasilinna (of course I didn´t read it in finnish, it´s just the title ;) *g*). It´s was ok but didn´t really impress me. I didn´t like the style. The sentenced were bit too short, the stories pretty undetailed. A bit like a book for kids. I gave the guy one more chance and bought "Ukkosenjumalan poika" today. For now it seems much better :).
Can you maybe recommend me some other good finnish writers/books? Of course it would be nice if the stories would be going on in Finland :D

they dont have books...their libraries are full of cds!!!!!!!:lol:
oh,some books can be found to the disk-shops:D