Finnish literature

Originally posted by pagan2002
you should meet the guys from sentenced... oh you already have?
have fun:devil:

I allready have (again ;) ) on Tuesday. It was a great interview with Ville (very nice and patient guy *g*). Well seems like on my Finland trip there´s also going to be a stop in Oulu *g* With Mehdi of course :)

Originally posted by speakinstone
have you read kalevala?

I heard about it but never read it. A part of it is in the finnish hymn, isn´t it?
Usually I don´t really like to read such old stuff because I can´t get well into the language. But whon knows maybe it´s a bit different with thatone. Gonna take a look at it. Thanks!! :D:D

Originally posted by Crack Hitler
"In the beginning there were the swamp, the hoe - and Jussi" :D

You´re the man! :lol: :lol:

Thanks everybody!! I´ll take a look at those books you recomended.
I also saw a new book from Jari Tervo translated into English it´s something like "The history of my family". Do you know something about it? I mean if it´s good or not?

Originally posted by Eos
I heard about it but never read it. A part of it is in the finnish hymn, isn´t it?
Usually I don´t really like to read such old stuff because I can´t get well into the language. But whon knows maybe it´s a bit different with thatone. Gonna take a look at it. Thanks!! :D:D

yeh it may be kinda difficult the language, though i can't say how it's translated.. i've read only the finnish one. yet i don't believe the translation could be done literally word by word.. if it is, i'm impressed. :eek:

When I was in Norway, I almost killed an elk with my (rented) car!!!! They're so many and they just walk up and down the highway!!! I guess it's the same in Finland...

i can't help liking muummi books. i don't think they're very childish... they're just ...urr.. brilliant, and i think they give pretty much of the finnish atmosphere. they're all translated into english.

waltari or valtari is surely translated into something, is it that egyptian book which is famous?

i think my boyfriend would advice you bo carpelan, he's finnish, but might be written in swedish originally, i'm not sure
i read some punk stories from a women called urrrrr rosa liksom i think, translated in english, nihilistic 80ies stuff, don't think i really liked it...

hej! there is a finnish christmasfair this weekend in antwerp at the finnish cultural center, you all should check it out :)
(free glögi!) (they have all fazer chocolate, finnish beer and salmiakki aaah!)

moi!

Originally posted by siderea
i can't help liking muummi books. i don't think they're very childish... they're just ...urr.. brilliant, and i think they give pretty much of the finnish atmosphere. they're all translated into english.

Try to find the Muumi-stories written in the 60's and 70's. Those are the best ones :D

Sentenced had this quote in Crimson: "Musta Kuolo meitä kaikkia päähän koppaa". It's from the poet Aleksis Kivi, and Ville said that he kind of represents the depressive, suicidal side of Finnish live - maybe you should check him out?:confused: