Stargazer
Oct 15, 2002
Far Beyond The Galaxy
Visit site
Finntroll – ‘Nattfodd’
Spinefarm/Universal - 2004
By Graham Boyle

Finntroll_Trollhammaren.jpg

If you’ve never heard Finntroll before, you are in for quite a shock. If you have, then you pretty much know what to expect; the same death/power/folk/polka metal insane mayhem that has graced the band's last 3 releases. Steering away from the more experimental atmospheric/folk feel of the ‘Visor on Slutet’ EP, ‘Nattfodd', is the back to basics metal of their previous 2 full length albums.

As you might have gathered, Finntroll are no ordinary band. The songs are sung in Swedish, even though the band are from Finland, yet this hardly matters, as each song needs no translation - the music carries you away, and the vocals seem to blend in perfectly as another instrument. There is also a lot of musical variety on offer here; lots of different styles thrown into the blender to make that unmistakable sound. The sound of an accordion slap bang in the middle of a brutal death metal song can be quite startling! Until, that is, you realise it’s Finntroll to a tee.

The music can be brutal, upon first listen, however, once you are suckered into the group's world of sound, you’ll find yourself hooked, tapping your feet and even resisting the odd urge to dance.

‘Nattfodd’, is also the first album since the tragic death of guitarist, Sommium last year. The band decided to carry on, feeling it was the best way to honour his memory. He was one of the main songwriters and to be honest I thought he would be sorely missed. But although he is sadly absent, the material surely captures the essence of Finntroll; raw and epic, yet still melodic, combining the best elements of metal, punk, polk and humppa sung in Swedish.

If all this sounds like a blurred noise, then you're totally wrong. Finntroll once again pull it off with amazing conviction.

4/5

Official Fintroll Website
Official Spinefarm Website

Good review - can't wait for the album. Thing is, when you compare it to the previous 2 albums, which one in particular does it resemble most? I thought their two full albums were slightly different to each other in that there was more 'power' and 'melody' in the second one, Jacktens Tid. Anyway, I remember reading reports that they wanted to get back to the slightly more grim sounds of Midnattens Widunter so I was just curious.

Great review but you forgot to menchen Katla their former singer whom got throt cancer or somthing and can't sing.. but he still writes the lyrics and his replacment Tapoi Wilska (Sings also in Sethian) can sing just as good as him.. well almost..

MetalNoob said:
What the heck... you think Hatesphere is death metal.

Great Album, fun listen.
It doesn't matter what Hatesphere are, they suck ass, and hopefully I will never have to listen to them again. Case closed.