Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
FINNTROLL – JAKTENS TID
Century Media - 2001

Visit the Century Media website
Visit the Finntroll website

By Rodrigo

There had been only two instances before when I listened to a song by a metal band that made me want to go dance (I hate dancing). That was listening to "Moondance" by Nightwish and "New Model World" by …And Oceans. Well Jaktens Tid is an entire album full of songs that make you want to go dance, drink and just have a jolly good time. Finntroll provides a refreshing new black metal hybrid. Infusing elements of waltz and polka or "humppa" as they would call it in Finland with harsh singing and heavy and fast guitars, Jaktens Tid is one of the best surprises of the year.

It is this combination of totally different styles that make Jaktens Tid so great. The folk music invokes happy vibes but there is still a very dark element to the music. "Jaktens Tid" and "Kitteldags" are two of the heaviest songs in the album yet both are still fun. Another great aspect is the keyboard usage. They are up-front and in your face (so those of you who don’t like keyboards with your metal may want to go somewhere else) and there are plenty of great melody lines. Take the part from 1:21 – 1:30 on "Slaget vid Blodsälv" or in "Krigsmjöd" from 0:44 – 1:04. Jaktens Tid is just not about the keyboards and the guitar playing is really great as well. There are excellent acoustic passages like in "Aldhissla", Iron Maiden galloping tempos like in "Den Hornkrönte Konungen (Riviaders Torn)" and great leads like the one from 1:40 – 2:10 on "Skogens Hämnd".

Lyrically, the songs are in Swedish and that is a drawback for me who doesn’t speak that language but I can’t picture hearing these songs in English. From what I can tell (and I may be wrong), Finntroll are not happy with Christianity. One example is "Kyrkovisan". It starts off with a Latin sermon but then the priest seems to get killed.

Jaktens Tid also makes me feel like I am listening to music designed for a video game. Take the short instrumental "Bakom Varje Fira" which sounds like it belongs on a Nintendo game. The majority of the songs are all fast and short and when the end of the album is at hand I quickly press play again because I want to hear more music. Yes, the album is too short and that will be my only complaint but I can’t wait to hear what they do next. Finntroll is a great new young band and Jaktens Tid is an album for those of you who like something different.

I've been meaning to listen to Finntroll for a while - a friend never shuts up about them! :eek: You've inspired me to seek some CDs out, now :)