circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Fireborn - …As the World Crumbles
Oak Knoll Productions – OKP010 – 2005
By Jason Jordan

fireborncdcover_small.jpg

Little-known fact: everything becomes fire, and from fire everything is born. Hence, Fireborn. Even though they hail from the United States, this melodeath troupe has more in common with Finland than any other region, based on likenesses to Children of Bodom, Norther, and others of a similar persuasion. Ostensibly, …As the World Crumbles features plenty of spunkiness throughout its long life, but there are myriad bands able to yield more pleasing results.

At first the guitars are distracting, then they become kind of endearing. They’re like that kid in school who wouldn’t ever shut up or sit still, but was pretty funny so he wasn’t as annoying as he first appeared to be. Needless to say, these guys can play their instruments. However, …As the World Crumbles doesn’t deviate from what I’ve heard from the subgenre’s stalwarts, and Fireborn certainly aren’t breathing new life into this shtick. Nonetheless, the fourteen songs on this disc are unmistakable romps; they aren’t meant to be cerebral exercises, nor do they try to be. So, with that said, these accelerated compositions are easy to appreciate if you’re not desiring a challenging and/or mesmerizing listen. I’d wager that their previous – Creation Chaos – is about the same. There’s not much of a point in highlighting any of the opuses, since all of them were cast in the same mold and offer little to no differentiation. For what it’s worth, the first seven tracks are brand new while the last seven are ‘04 remasters.

Melodeath followers will probably find something to like about Fireborn. In fact, it proves a simple task. The material isn’t nauseating in the least, though the more I hear this style, the more disenchanted I become. While …As the World Crumbles has its moments, I believe something’s amiss when I gravitate towards discussion of deficiencies rather than sufficiencies.

6.5/10

Official Fireborn Website
Official Oak Knoll Productions Website