circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Shroud of Bereavement - …Of Ages
Oak Knoll Productions – OKP007 – July 27th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

55250427_m.jpg

I spout off about production values often, and readers of my reviews know this. Usually I prefer my records to feature a clear, balanced production. I realize, however, that even if an album doesn’t have top-of-the-line production, inspired material may yet shine through. And so is the case with the latest installment from Shroud of Bereavement. Brandishing an hour of rare and unreleased dirges, …Of Ages – a collection of demos ranging from 1996 to 2000 – reflects the undeniable skill that these death/doom metallers flirt with consistently.

Other than the death/doom tag, there are a bunch of terms one can apply to Daniel Robinson and crew. Either way, though, Shroud of Bereavement tackle music from several angles by combining many styles, and utilizing numerous instruments. The eight songs on …Of Ages heavily rely on synthesizers, which remind me of Summoning in both tone and pitch, but they don’t hesitate to include piano when necessary. “An Absolution of Sorrow” is an introduction entirely capable of transporting you to the darkest reaches of medieval times – the time period, not the restaurant – while Robinson’s growling mows down everything in its path. “Willowsoul” projects wailing female vocals, but takes a dive as far as production quality goes. Still, the addition of mandolin and acoustic guitar provides relief, and the faux flute is eerily haunting. Just as “Willowsoul” stole the helm and set a course for doom, “The Fools Lament” reclaims it and trounces towards death. Every tune drips with anguish, and most all of them commence with bleak keyboards, segueing later into bombastic arrangements.

I can safely say that those who don’t like ever-present, unsubtle keyboards won’t endorse Shroud of Bereavement, though I think the synths enhance the record considerably by lending ambience, mood, and setting. There’s a lot of style mixing, so purists may shy away from this as well. Nevertheless, the ones still reading should grab …Of Ages while I sit here thirsting for a legitimate full-length.

8/10

Official Shroud of Bereavement Website
Official Oak Knoll Productions Forum
Official Oak Knoll Productions Website

hey circus, thanks for the excellent review. i am glad that you could see through production(seeing that i recorded it myself 10 years ago) and actually give the music a shot.
there are new songs with way better production at myspace and soundclick. if anyone is interested in hearing what we sound like now. we have a full length and a split due out very soon

\m/

http://www.myspace.com/shroudofbereavement