Fragments of Unbecoming - Sterling Black Icon

Zack

charting my way to top :)
Feb 9, 2005
Fragments of Unbecoming – Sterling Black Icon
Metal Blade Records – 3984-1458-2 – April 4, 2006
By Zack Attaran

sterlingblackicon8hp.jpg

German melodeath that’s dubbed as “Sweedish Styled death metal” That sums up your record right there.

Oh, you want more? Well… erm… see…

I guess I just expected so much more from this up and coming band! Upon receiving Sterling Black Icon I threw it into the stereo and waited for the monstrous yet harmonious guitar riffs to pierce my ears, but instead I found myself checking to see if in fact I was mistakenly sent their previous album Skywards: A Sylphe’s Ascenion. “No…no…” I forcibly whispered to myself as I realized that I had received their latest effort, it just happened to sound the same as their debut release.

“Fragments of Unbecoming are on to great things” would’ve been my words to you if you were to ask me about them prior to hearing their latest. They had progressed so much from their demo to their first full length, yet now with their latest it seems as if they’ve remained stagnant, if not gotten worse. Don’t get me wrong, this album isn’t necessarily bad, rather a disappointment considering the potential present. Several things get under my nails with this CD, mainly that their new singer, Sam Anetzberger, fits the shoes perfectly. A little too perfectly. In fact, he fits with the band so well, I didn’t even know he was on the bandwagon until I stumbled across it on their website. Please, if you’re going to get a new singer, you should at least try to mix things up. Also, their songwriting has worsened from their last album, which is something I definitely didn’t expect.

Ok, it’s generic, but it’s still decent. They manage to reel me in with their longer songs and some of their short instrumentals (’Onward to the Finger of God’, ‘Chambre Noire’), but other than that it doesn’t wow me. The single, ’Sterling Black Icon’ is really a great representation of this album, so whatever you think of that song is what you will think of this record. I guess the rating really speaks for itself here: “Average… only buy if you really like this style.” Hopefully these guys will turn around and do a better job next time.

6/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Fragments of Unbecoming Website
Official Metalblade Records Website

Hey, sweet first review. Too bad this group sucks, eh? The artwork looks pretty sweet. Something I've been discovering lately is that artwork can be deceiving, yet a lot of the time if a group's got a release with fantastic artwork, you can almost be certain that it will be good. I might have to check these guys out just because I like their album cover... I've never heard any of their work so I won't be able to tell if they're worse than they used to be, but I will be able to tell if they suck. Keep it up with the good reviews! Whoo.

Thanks! I really expected more from these guys... but it's still an ok album nevertheless. Just typical melodeath. True, though, sweet artwork!