In the Dragon's Den
Mar 31, 2003
Chicago, IL
www.themetalchick.net
Warblade - The Phantom Blaze
Oak-Knoll Productions - OKP006 - May 31, 2005
by Amanda J. Carlson
warbladecover.jpg

While browsing the Warblade website and reading about each of the five members, I noticed the incredible range in musical tastes and influences. Listening to the album, that range isn’t quite so surprising. With tastes from Children of Bodom to Manowar, from Dimmu Borgir to Beethoven, these guys have the ingredients to produce some truly eclectic metal. And they do a pretty good job of it.

They lead off with “The Nature of the Beast,” a nice onslaught of smashing riffs and drums, with interludes of melodies that take me back to early albums by In Flames. Actually, a lot of this album reminds me of Lunar Strain - Subterranean stuff. The guitar solo is a little rough, but the drum sound is impressive.

On “The Arsenal,” the sound of the bassist is much more audible, and proves that he’s not just the bass player; he has a place in the music. The dual guitar harmonies are where I hear the In Flames influence most noticeably, especially on this song. The next couple songs fail to grab me, but once getting to the title track, I’m blown away.

Topping the nine-minute mark, “The Phantom Blaze” is full of lightning speed guitar harmonies, some nice progressive moments that help mix up the metal madness, and much better guitar solos than heard on the previous songs. This song makes the album, thus it is appropriately titled.

The vocals are of the growly type that I actually enjoy. Most of the time he sounds like Angela Gossow of Arch Enemy – and no, I’m not implying that he sounds like a girl. There are times when he gets more into a Vintersorg growl, or not surprisingly, Anders Fridén. One thing’s for sure; it never gets degrading, which is something I can’t say for every death metal vocalist.

Now, it did take a few listens for me to get into the music, but it was worth the repeated spins. The production doesn’t do it much justice, but there are some shining moments that prove this band deserves a listen.

7.5/10

Official Warblade Website
Oak-Knoll Productions Website
Official Warblade Forum
Official Oak-Knoll Productions Forum

It's been a while since I listened to this, but I remember it being good. I'd probably give it the same rating, so...nice job. :D