FIREPOD help,please!

Jan 22, 2006
hi!
i´ve got some questions concerning some functions of the presonus firepod.i have the manual,but i really don´t get it;-)

my question:

the relation between the cue line out mix,the main output and the mix knob!

all i want is to have a direct monitor for my drummer when he´s recording while giving him an already recorded pilotguitar on his phones!

any suggestions?!?i really appreciate it!
thanks and bye,pat

hi!
i´ve got some questions concerning some functions of the presonus firepod.i have the manual,but i really don´t get it;-)

my question:

the relation between the cue line out mix,the main output and the mix knob!

all i want is to have a direct monitor for my drummer when he´s recording while giving him an already recorded pilotguitar on his phones!

any suggestions?!?i really appreciate it!
thanks and bye,pat

sure, no problem,
make sure your jacks are in the MAIN CR OUTPUT connectors on the back;
the last three knobs on the right are:

MAIN LEVEL PHONES
MIXER

right?

Main level is for the output (if your jacks are in the main cr output connectors) phones is obviously for your headphones.

now: the mixer knob, if you turn the mixer knob all the way to your right, you'll have only the output sound coming through (so the song, an mp3 or whatever). If you're using this you can press the monitor icon (in cubase if you use it) or use your software's direct monitoring. if the knob is turned all the way to the left; you have only input sound coming through, which is all of the 8 pre's that are connected. If you put the knob in the middle; it'll have as much output and as much input coming through, so you can make a mix between how much sound you send to your drummers headphone, and how much of the pre's (the mic's you're using) he gets.

does this make sense?

thanks a lot for your help!
some more questions:

does the CUE mix line out work like the headphone output?
they´re both not affected by the mainoutput nob,right?

if i do soundcheck for drums,the signal i hear on the monitors is the direct,unprocessed one,when i turn the mixknob to INPUT hard left,right?
yes,i use cubase,and i click the monitor thing then!

it´s just:i´m not sure what is better to use for the recordings and for our drummer!the direct signal,or the one which goes through the interface and the pc?!?

thanks for help,
bye,pat

thanks a lot for your help!
some more questions:

does the CUE mix line out work like the headphone output?
they´re both not affected by the mainoutput nob,right?

if i do soundcheck for drums,the signal i hear on the monitors is the direct,unprocessed one,when i turn the mixknob to INPUT hard left,right?
yes,i use cubase,and i click the monitor thing then!

it´s just:i´m not sure what is better to use for the recordings and for our drummer!the direct signal,or the one which goes through the interface and the pc?!?

thanks for help,
bye,pat

good statement by beyond dead by the way;
now, for your questions:

the mix knob works on both the MAIN and the HEADPHONES output.

If you turn the mix knob all the way to the left, you will hear input only (this means all things that are plugged in the front of the firepod (for drums, these are the mics)

If you turn the mix knob all the way to the left, you will hear the inputs only on both the MAIN and the HEADPHONES outputto, they both work exactly the same. If you turn the MIX knob all the way to the right, all you hear is output. Then you can use the monitor icon in cubase. The monitor icon sends that channel (and it's insert) as an output to your soundcard.

As for your drummer, if there's latency when he's playing, turn the knob to the left; with the mix knob to the left, there is no latency (because he'll hear the input directly).

As for mixing the drums and sending THAT to the drummer (meaning if he hits his bassdrum he'll hear the processed bassdrum), you might not want to do that, I think it´s best to let your drummer hear the raw sound of the mics, but we could debate about that.

NOTE: in the cubase mixer, there are 8 input channels. Do you know that if you put inserts on that, you track those with your session? Saying that if you put a +10 on 30db on input 1, and you record; track 1 will have a +10 on 30db tracked with it (cannot be removed) so my advice is to do any and every processing after you've recorded the raw files and make the raw files as good as you can.

let me know if you need to know anything else mate!