Firepod instrument inputs and EMGs

Uladyne

Greg
Oct 20, 2006
Oregon Coast
In the "prepping your tracks for reamping" thread, the Firepod's instrument inputs were mentioned as being quite satisfactory DI tools for guitars for EMGs, but the firpod manual says instruments with active electronics should be plugged into the line inputs. I'm going to go with what I read in the PYTFR thread, as everything made sense, but what's the skinny on this stuff?

I've read quite a few times that active pickups are line level already, while passive pickups are instrument level. I'm sure it all has to do with stuff that's way over my head, but I'm just looking for a basic understanding of this.

Will the Firepod instrument inputs still be decent for passive pups?

Nah, the signal coming from EMG's is indeed lower impedance, but it's definitely not line-level - stick with the instrument ins without a doubt, Presonus don't know shit!

Nah, the signal coming from EMG's is indeed lower impedance, but it's definitely not line-level - stick with the instrument ins without a doubt, Presonus don't know shit!

+1

I ask myself a couple of week about this...
I try a little with my Jackson RR.
Put your active pickup to imput 1 and 2;)

active p/ups use a preamp to bring the p/ups impedance (i think) to the exact impedance your amp expects, whereas passive p/ups differ from model to model, and even from pick up to pick up. active p/ups just ensure that you get a consistent and correct level. correct me someone, or elaborate on what ive said if im wrong.

active p/ups use a preamp to bring the p/ups impedance (i think) to the exact impedance your amp expects, whereas passive p/ups differ from model to model, and even from pick up to pick up. active p/ups just ensure that you get a consistent and correct level. correct me someone, or elaborate on what ive said if im wrong.

The wood material affects also a lot on the sounds, so its not entirely the whole truth

EMG's need more gain in my FP10 instrument jacks than my Dimebucker guitars. I'll see if that is still the case with the 18v mod.