Can I plug an active instrument into an instrument input?

mintcheerios

Dec 21, 2007
I'm a bit confused on this. I have a Presonus Firestudio Tube and in the manual it says I should never plug an active instrument into the instrument channels. The manual to the Ampeg SVX plug-in states that I should plug the bass into an instrument input, but never a line-in. I've plugged my active bass into the hi-z input of my RNP with no problems (that I'm aware of). I also heard that you should use a direct box if you want to get your active instrument's signal through an instrument input. Is there a difference between a hi-z input and an instrument input? Does everything for the active bass apply to a guitar with active EMGs?

All an instrument-in is is a Hi-Z (high impedance) input (essential a built in DI box), so I have no idea what Presonus is on about, but yes, you most definitely can and should plug any instrument into the instrument in without any problem (I do it all the time with my EMG-equipped guitars, or rather I did, before I discovered plugging into my Redeye as a DI box sounded better)

I perfectly understand hes question, i am also using active EMG 81 pick up and my problem was that my DI recording was clipping (fireface 400 Hi-z input with pad activated) and the guy from RME (jeff?) wrote that i should use the normal line input with the pad activated on active pickups.
so is it correct to use this way active pickups? or he is wrong? maybe i need a separate better Di box with a smaller pad?
are the HI z inputs for passive pick ups only? and actives have to go with line level input?the impedance is different i think , it does not change the sound?
i also read of the 18 v mod on active pick ups and the guy said that it will be less gain and more headroom. Maybe i will try that thing out and also lower the bridge pick up a bit and maybe the clipping will dissapear.

I do it all the time with my EMG-equipped guitars, or rather I did, before I discovered plugging into my Redeye as a DI box sounded better

Can you elaborate this a little bit? I'm really curious ;) Are you saying that the red eye plugged into a "instrument" (hi-z) channel sounds better than the direct instrument plugged into the same "instrument" plug (without DI box)?

Or I have totally missed the point?