M-audio Profire 2626 ¼” TS instrument inputs or (passive) DI?

Sep 18, 2008
Finland
I should be recording soon some DI's with active stingray bass and some baritone guitars with EMG 81's into pro tools.

Are the dedicated instrument inputs enough to match the impedance and deliver the clearest sound or would you prefer the guitar --> DI --> XLR mic input type of approach? Seems to be a bit of a debate over the internet with these two methods.. :lol:

thanks for any info! This forum just fuckin' rocks! :worship:

I have the same question, but I own a presonus firebox. I suppose DI option will be better, but...

IIRC the consensus has been that using a dedicated DI box usually is better than using the instrument inputs on an interface. That said, I run bass into my 2626 via the instrument in, guitars go through a DI first.

and then, where to send the DI signal, mic/line or instrument input?

recommended DI boxes to buy?

Di boxes would then go to your mic input.

In my opinion if you're gonna get a Di box get a really good one countryman type 85 and BSS brand ones get touted alot as being good and the little labs red eye is a good di/reamp combo.
If your not gonna get a really good one I'd just go with the Di inputs on your interface.

Di boxes would then go to your mic input.

In my opinion if you're gonna get a Di box get a really good one countryman type 85 and BSS brand ones get touted alot as being good and the little labs red eye is a good di/reamp combo.
If your not gonna get a really good one I'd just go with the Di inputs on your interface.

I agree with all of this 100%

If you have a good DI (MTR/BSS/Countryman etc) then use that. If not then the instrument in on the PF2626 should be ok (used mine with no complaints)

DI outputs always go to mic inputs, the whole point of a DI is to take a guitar/line level signal and bring it to mic level so it can go through a preamp.