Doubt about using direct box or not!

FrancescoFiligoi

Count Blastula
Nov 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
Hi all, I'm stuck between buying a direct box or not.

I own a Presonus Firestudio Mobile http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=58

check the tech specs, they are awesome in my opinion.

What I don't know is:

should I just plug the guitar into the:
Instrument Input (¼" TRS, Channels 1 & 2)
-Type TS Female Unbalanced
-Input Impedance 1 MΩ

or plug the guitar into a direct box (in my case RADIAL JDV, the best active box around from what I've heard) and then plug the XLR output of the direct box into the:
Microphone Preamp (XLR Balanced)
-Frequency Response (+0, -0.5 dB) 20 Hz to 50 kHz
-Frequency Response (+0/-3.0 dB) 20 Hz to 150 kHz
-Input Impedance 1.6 kΩ
-THD + N (unwtd, 1 kHz @ +4 dBu Output, Unity Gain) < 0.008 %
-EIN (unwtd, 55 dB Gain, 150&#937; Input, 20 Hz to 22 kHz) –130 dBu
-S/N Ratio
-(Unity Gain, unwtd, Ref = +4 dBu, 20 Hz to 22 kHz) >101 dB
-Common Mode Rejection Ratio (1 kHz, 55 dB Gain) >55 dB
-Gain Control Range (± 1 dB) –10 dB to 70 dB
-Maximum Input level (Unity Gain, 1 kHz@0.5% THD+N) +14 dBu
-Phantom Power (± 2 VDC) +48 VDC

What would be the best option, speaking about quality?
Thank you all.

Hi all, I'm stuck between buying a direct box or not.

I own a Presonus Firestudio Mobile http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=58

check the tech specs, they are awesome in my opinion.

What I don't know is:

should I just plug the guitar into the:
Instrument Input (¼" TRS, Channels 1 & 2)
-Type TS Female Unbalanced
-Input Impedance 1 M&#937;

The instrument input of the Firestudio doesn't sound bad in THIS case, because the input impedance is 1 M&#937; ; that is the imput impedance of most guitar amplifiers, which is a good thing.

Can you borrow a DI box from someone to A/B it with your Firestudio?

The instrument input of the Firestudio doesn't sound bad in THIS case, because the input impedance is 1 M&#937; ; that is the imput impedance of most guitar amplifiers, which is a good thing.

Can you borrow a DI box from someone to A/B it with your Firestudio?

Unfortunately not. I live in a small town in the north east of Italy, no one knows about direct boxes round here.

I thought that the best quality of sound would come in this case by connecting your guitar
straight to the mic preamp without a DI-box. can someone verify whether that's correct or not?

Now I got hit by some serious gas since I don't have a decent audio interface yet,
will most likely buy this Mobile for myself as a x-mas present :)

I thought that the best quality of sound would come in this case by connecting your guitar
straight to the mic preamp without a DI-box. can someone verify whether that's correct or not?

Now I got hit by some serious gas since I don't have a decent audio interface yet,
will most likely buy this Mobile for myself as a x-mas present :)

My friend, this is really the best option in that price range.
Awesome features.

speaking about my topic, I notice that the mic preamp is a xlr/jack trs combo, so maybe going direct into that input would not be bad.

after looking at the specs of your Presonus Firestudio Mobile, i suggest to use a di-box,
because it seems that your soundcard doesnt have a hi-z input.

to achieve the best tonal quality out of the guitar siignal you need an impedance matching input (hi-z called)..
many soundcards already have a so-called instrument input, with the needed high impedance, but yours not.
therefore are di-boxes made.. they have a high impedance input (for guitars, basses..) and a low impedance output for your soundcard

cheers
chris

after looking at the specs of your Presonus Firestudio Mobile, i suggest to use a di-box,

to achieve the best tonal quality out of the guitar siignal you need an impedance matching input (hi-z called)..
many soundcards already have a so-called instrument input, with the needed high impedance, but yours not.
therefore are di-boxes made.. they have a high impedance input (for guitars, basses..) and a low impedance output for your soundcard

cheers
chris

Thank you so much.

cheers
chris

AKA instrument input which is printed right on the front panel and on the gain knobs. There's just no switch to go from line to instrument level.
So he's fine.

firestudio_mobile-front.jpg

Last week I bought a M-Audio Profire, it is more or less same kind of interface. If I'm not mistake Profire is also 1 MOhm.

I tried it direct and through a DI Box, and couldn't notice the difference.
Perhaps if you are a bat or a dolphin you may notice some differences, but I guess you are not.

So my answer is that you don't need a DI Box.