Focusrite Pro 26/10 versus Presonus FP10 problem

JJO

Dutch Metalist
Jun 20, 2008
Holland
I currently have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 26/10. And i bought it for the reason that i had to get great pre-amps, great sound for my guitar so i could do some amp sim stuff. I couldn't do A/B checking since both units weren't around.

Now i noticed how my guitars crackle(clip) a little bit here and there. This happens with both active and passive pups. I can't even use the instrument switch for my guitars since al they do is clip(well the red light on the unit burns almost constantly with the volume turned to zero on the saffire :mad:). So i can only use the normal input. I don't really know if that is a real problem since i can't really hear a big difference(thought the impedance wouldn't match in this case, but to be honest i'm to noobisch to notice the difference obviously ;))

So i'm getting a bit more experienced with lot's of things since i am constantly doing this stuff, like probably all ya metaldudes in here! So i would love be able to do some beginner but good(quality:p) reamping ;)

Here's the actual problem btw! :p In the re-amp thread i started to notice how the Presonus FP10 kept coming up as a good re-amp pre-amp :Smokin:
Why can the presonus handle the job? Why can't my Focusrite handle the job? Cuz the funny thing is, i could just return my focusrite and get the presonus and get money back for an actual re-amp box :)

Tried getting the info for this but i'm not getting much wiser on their websites either!

Focusrite:
Line Inputs
• Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 0.1dB
&#8226; THD+N: < 0.001% (measured with 0dBFS input and 22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
&#8226; Noise: -90dBu (22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)

Instrument Inputs
&#8226; Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 0.1dB
&#8226; THD+N: 0.004% (measured with 0dBu input and 20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
&#8226; Noise: -87dBu (20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)

Presonus:
Instrument Input (1/4" TS input channels 1-2)
Type 1/4" TS
Input Impedance 1 Mega Ohm

Line Inputs (1/4&#8221; TRS input channels 3-8)
Frequency Response (+0,- 0.5dB) 20Hz to 50kHz
Frequency Response (+0/-3.0 dB) 20Hz to 150kHz
Input Impedance (Balanced) 10 KOhm
THD+N (unwtd, 1KHz @ +4dBu Output, Unity Gain) < 0.003%
S/N Ratio (Unity Gain, unwtd, Ref. = +4dBu, 20Hz to 22KHz) >101dB
Maximum Input Level (Unity Gain, 1KHz @ 0.5% THD+N)

Thanks alot for any helpfull comments on this!!!!

Get a good D.I problem solved Id keep the saffire over the presonus because of its expandibilty. sorry on not giving you more help on the clipping line input but i just dont use the saffire line input as i have some good d.i's

Presonus Firepod is expandable as well right? I don't know where you are going on this? Since i'm not going to use adat and stuff like that in a long time. I just bought this interface so i could record guitars, bass, vox, and would'nt be going to get busted when i would wanna record some drums sometime. So this is exactly what the FP10 would also give me right?

anyway.... damnit, that means i got to spend more on equipment! So many things i want :) My budget sucks! :p

well the firepod is more limited in that two can be daisy chained to add more inputs so basicly more of the same flava the saffire is a lot more versitile but may be overkill for what you need by the sound of things. If you plan on recording drums or any source (choir ect) that is going to need a lot of inputs id stick with the saffire if you only want to mic a cab and track vocals and bass then the firepod might be better but even at that its overkill no way your going to use 8 mics on a cab might be better off getting a good quaity interface with two or four preamps and a good quality d.i and re-amp box

Hm... to be honest. I thought having 16 ins(2 firepod's) would be enough for a nice size's drum kit right? :p thought 10 wuz already enough, so i still haven't really heard what the more versatile part is about, sorry (A), oh and btw the firepod can go up to three units daisy-chained ;) So still don't know why i would be limited.

I understand your advice though, i do have a nice unit here and all and it works absolutely fine, but i just have a very small budget, but still want quality recordings done. The lesser inputs advice is also an idea i could go for however being very limited like that I would probably hit myself if i come across real world drum recordings any time soon.

I guess i also just really want to know about the clipping part of the saffire ;) AARGGGG i just don't know! :p

Just have to hear more i guess since i want to make the right choice(finally!, always been buying stuff way to quickly)

Limited in the fact you can only use the firepods preamps you can add different preamps via adat with the saffire so its more versitile in that respect.

I do know the saffires preamps clip pretty easily when im recording drums i have to use external pads on nearly every input and the fact that the saffire does not have built in pads suck

In the long term id say having the saffire is a step up from the firepod not a huge step mind as you can still get great results with a firepod but it would be an overall better unit fireface 400 would be better again if you could afford one.

Weigh up the different options with your budget keeping in mind that you will need a good d.i box and re-amp box with whatever interface you go with.

go with a firepod. 8 inputs and triggers will get you around a kit, get another firepod for more inputs. firepod probably has better pres and conversion and di`s also much cheaper. buy a reamp box with the saved money. if you want to expand later to a better interface, get a ff400 or the like.
thats my opinion

Limited in the fact you can only use the firepods preamps you can add different preamps via adat with the saffire so its more versitile in that respect.

I do know the saffires preamps clip pretty easily when im recording drums i have to use external pads on nearly every input and the fact that the saffire does not have built in pads suck

In the long term id say having the saffire is a step up from the firepod not a huge step mind as you can still get great results with a firepod but it would be an overall better unit fireface 400 would be better again if you could afford one.

Weigh up the different options with your budget keeping in mind that you will need a good d.i box and re-amp box with whatever interface you go with.

Crap :) You're probably right! bump up for anyone knowing the crackling/clipping problem i got on my interface :)
I shall post some clips l8er with what i mean!

Ow and Beyond_dead... I doubt if you can call the pre-amps and conversion better. Although it can definatly be. I just haven't read enough about the unit i guess. Lot of people do love the pre-amps from focusrite though.

Piece!!!:headbang: