Direct Box Or Not?

FrancescoFiligoi

Count Blastula
Nov 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
Hi all, I'm stuck between buying a direct box or not.

I own a Presonus Firestudio Mobile http://www.presonus.com/products/Det...x?ProductId=58

check the tech specs, they are awesome in my opinion.

What I don't know is:

should I just plug the guitar into the:
Instrument Input (¼" TRS, Channels 1 & 2)
-Type TS Female Unbalanced
-Input Impedance 1 MΩ

or plug the guitar into a direct box (in my case RADIAL JDV, the best active box around from what I've heard) and then plug the XLR output of the direct box into the:
Microphone Preamp (XLR Balanced)
-Frequency Response (+0, -0.5 dB) 20 Hz to 50 kHz
-Frequency Response (+0/-3.0 dB) 20 Hz to 150 kHz
-Input Impedance 1.6 kΩ
-THD + N (unwtd, 1 kHz @ +4 dBu Output, Unity Gain) < 0.008 %
-EIN (unwtd, 55 dB Gain, 150&#937; Input, 20 Hz to 22 kHz) –130 dBu
-S/N Ratio
-(Unity Gain, unwtd, Ref = +4 dBu, 20 Hz to 22 kHz) >101 dB
-Common Mode Rejection Ratio (1 kHz, 55 dB Gain) >55 dB
-Gain Control Range (± 1 dB) –10 dB to 70 dB
-Maximum Input level (Unity Gain, 1 kHz@0.5% THD+N) +14 dBu
-Phantom Power (± 2 VDC) +48 VDC

What would be the best option, speaking about quality?
Thank you all.

Depends on whether you have a good set of pickups in your guitar or not. In my case, a new DI box probably would not help.

I'm going to use several guitars, all of them are equipped with the best pickups (EMG, Seymour Duncan Blackout, Bareknuckle...) so, why it wouldn't help, in your opinion?

In that case, definitely get one... I've heard good things about a Countryman 85 and BSS AR-133, I'm personally thinking of purchasing the latter when I'll get the chance of recording decent pickups. Oher people can help you more on those or other DI's.

In that case, definitely get one... I've heard good things about a Countryman 85 and BSS AR-133, I'm personally thinking of purchasing the latter when I'll get the chance of recording decent pickups. Oher people can help you more on those or other DI's.

Why, in your opinion, the instrument input of my Firestudio mobile isn't enough?

I personally think it's enough, but you asked what would be the best option in terms of quality.

mrhankey87, it is impolite to argue about forum organization from a senior member of a forum. This obviously belongs in the equipment section; you are asking whether you should BE USING A PIECE OF EQUIPMENT- A DI BOX or not. You also double posted this, because I commented in your other thread. I suggest saying, "Sorry, my bad," and moving on.

mrhankey87, it is impolite to argue about forum organization from a senior member of a forum. This obviously belongs in the equipment section; you are asking whether you should BE USING A PIECE OF EQUIPMENT- A DI BOX or not. You also double posted this, because I commented in your other thread. I suggest saying, "Sorry, my bad," and moving on.

so, please, could someone move it to the right section?

yeah this belongs in equipment because the conversation started out as DI box or not. And it's not actually about tips on mixing like is "Panning my DI going to effect my mix" or whatever. Plz move it.