Firewind - Apollo Papathanasio Quits

Mar 10, 2008
Abingdon, UK
[News taken from Metal Storm:]

Firewind have announced that Kelly "Sundown" Carpenter of Adagio, Beyond Twilight fame will be the band's new vocalist for their upcoming North American touring activities, after long term vocalist Apollo Papathanasio parted ways with the band.

Firewind commented on the line-up change: "Today we are in the unfortunate position to announce that Apollo has decided to step down permanently from the vocal duties in Firewind. For the past few years it was evident that Apollo could not keep up with Firewind ever growing and demanding touring & promotional schedule. Several times we've had to recruit replacements in order to continue touring the world and keep playing for our fans. We're lucky enough to have worked with some of the best Metal singers out there!

Although we're sad to announce Apollo's departure and we sure will miss him, at the same time we feel that the show must go on! Firewind is a band that has gone thru lots of ups and downs the past 10 years, but is still going strong!

With that said, we're happy to announce that Kelly Sundown Carpenter (Adagio, Beyond Twilight, Darkology) will be singing for us on the upcoming N. American tour with Turisas! This guy's a phenomenal singer and we can't wait to get out there and Rock! We're looking forward to our return in America. See you all soon!"

On a personal note I love Kelly Carpenter, and I hope he can inject new life into the band (if they keep him) as the last couple of albums have been mediocre. What do you think?

The only Firewind album I've actually heard is Forged By Fire but I don't remember anything from it beyond the first three songs. I've heard a few songs with Apollo on vocals though and he sounded awesome, this sounds like bad news. Never heard of the new guy though, hope he's good!

This news confirms that I'll probably never get to see them doing a headlining show with Apollo on Vocals, had to pass on seeing them in Sheffield (about as local as it could be too) in September last year as it was only a couple of days after I broke a bone in my elbow and it still hurt like hell! :(

It'll be interesting to see what the new vocalist is like.