FIREWIND - DAYS OF DEFIANCE (Art, Tracklisting & More!)

Metaldrumz

Jul 18, 2002
Greek melodic metallers FIREWIND, who feature in their ranks current OZZY OSBOURNE guitarist Gus G., will release their new album, "Days Of Defiance", on October 26 (one day earlier internationally) via Century Media Records. The CD's striking cover artwork was designed by the band's longtime partner in all design matters, Gustavo Sazes, and can be viewed below.

Commented Gus: "I'm very excited and cannot wait for our fans to listen to our new album! We feel we've captured great performances and took our songwriting to the next level on this one. There's tons of cool guitar on there and I believe Bob [Katsionis] has finally managed to reach warp-speed with his keyboard solos! Even more seriously, I highly recommend that you listen to this album at a very loud volume.

"As for the artwork, it was once again done by our visual wizard and webmaster extraordinaire, Gustavo Sazes. This time we asked Gustavo to come up with a great landscape scenery, with a more traditional approach and even get the 'pencil' style of artwork on there, but also combine it with more modern stuff. So, he gave us that… with a slight futuristic, sci-fi element and I think the end result is stunning!"

"Days of Defiance" track listing

01. The Ark Of Lies
02. World On Fire
03. Chariot
04. Embrace The Sun
05. The Departure
06. Heading For The Dawn
07. Broken
08. Cold As Ice
09. Kill In The Name Of Love
10. SKG
11. Losing Faith
12. The Yearning
13. When All Is Said And Done
14. Riding On The Wind (iTunes exclusive)

"Days Of Defiance" is described in a press release as "a truly ambitious and dynamic opus featuring some of the most brilliant guitar playing the genre has seen in many years."

l_8cce01d0a6d141409c0e1b96dd016b50.jpg

If 'cold as ice' is a cover song I am going to be highly amused and rather happy :p
And I see they went with 'losing faith' as the song title, good choice.
Excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, "Cold as Ice" would be so funny :lol:

I'm so excited too!!!!!!!!! Just can't wait now........I have pre-ordered the album already on Limited Edition and it looks like there is going to be a vinyl too!!!! (from amazon.co.uk) Totally agree with the statement the artwork is simply stunning, I love it!!! :loco:

Yeah, "Cold as Ice" would be so funny :lol:

I'm so excited too!!!!!!!!! Just can't wait now........I have pre-ordered the album already on Limited Edition and it looks like there is going to be a vinyl too!!!! (from amazon.co.uk) Totally agree with the statement the artwork is simply stunning, I love it!!! :loco:

I want to know the limited edition stuff, i'm going to pre-order it but i just want to know. From who is "Cold as Ice" i mean if its a cover. Judging by the the titles i really want to listen SKG(and what the hell it stands for) and Losing Faith

I wonder what the vinyl will have......I am very tempted to pre-order that as well but might wait until it comes out :)

I always buy the japanese imports, because of the bonustracks.
But this time it's difficult.

The limited edition has 3(!) bonussongs:
- Wild Rose
- Ride to the rainbows end
- Breaking the law

"Ride to the rainbows end" was an Japanese bonus to "The Premonition" and has some blistering guitarwork on it.
I don't need it double, so I can do without.
"Breaking the law" is a Judas Priest cover, which I heard before. It's not essential, but it's also on the Japanese edition.

The Japanese edition has only 2 bonustracks:
- Halycon days
- Breaking the law

So, I would like to hear "Wild rose" & "Halycon days" before I can choose the version of the album I want.
As usual, this will not be possible until after their release and if I have to choose, I will order the Japanese, since experiences from the past learned me that japanese exclusive bonustrack are stronger than others...

Itunes has an exclusive bonus: "Riding on the wind", which I believe is another Judas Priest cover, and probably it can't be downloaded separate from the whole mp3 album.

Firewind should place those bonustracks on their Myspace site!
And why doesn't the band has his own forum on the official page?
They are now big and wellknown enough...

Yes, only 3 weeks before the release on 18 october in Japan!

I'm jealous about all those who had the chance to hear the album yet.
And there are people reacting and giving their own ratings on the album?? How did they hear it?
Like on Blabbermouth

If only I could lay hands on a evaluation copy, I'm buying the cd nevertheless...

Do you have proof that Gus reads this forum?
I know he reads Blabbermouth though.
When he joined Ozzy, I wrote that he musn't leave Firewind.
Later I wrote he had to leave out commercial songs like "Maniac" and return to the blistering guitarwork of earlier albums.
Also I complaint about "Ride on the rainbows end" being only Japanese bonus.

And see, Gus reacted by saying there is no fear he is leaving Firewind; his new album is more raw, heavier and that bonustrack is now on the limited edition of the new album...

So, Gus place the new bonustracks "Wild rose" and "Halycon days" on your Myspace site, so I can order the best edition without being dissapointed.
And if you could send me an evaluation copy too... :worship:

The people on Blabbermouth I'm assuming are music journalists who are given promotional copies of the album so that they can write reviews for them before the album comes out.

Haha yes there's proof, if you search through the forum there's quite a few posts by him. If there's a specific question asked of him he usually answers it personally.
Oh I agree with him not leaving Firewind, but he'll never leave, Firewind's his baby, it's his project, he loves it. But noooooooooo, I love Maniac!!!! So much fun! and yeah, not much you can do about Japanese bonus tracks though, every band does it.

Hahaha he's good but I can't see him sending you a promo copy :p Oh but what we wouldn't do to hear the album now! Excited!!

A little tip........back on the 3 September I pre-ordered the Limited Edition of Days of Defiance from Amazon.co.uk @ £11.99, when I went to Amazon today I noticed that they are now selling the Limited Edition for £14.49 (however, my existing order price of £11.99 has been held).

Went to see how much it is on Play.com and to my surprise, it is selling for £8.95 (yes!! the Limited Edition). I have now placed a new order with Play.com and cancelled my old one with Amazon!

It comes with a free Gus G plectrum and 3 extra tracks (the ones listed by Gus G Brazil).

ALWAYS pre-order with play.com. Every time I've checked they've been cheaper, they always send pre-orders out so they'll arrive on the day they're released and if they're released on a bank holiday monday, they send them out so you receive them on the saturday ie two days early!

Didn't go to Play first time round after my fiasco with the single download, thought I'd stick with Amazon for a while, but hey at that price you can't go far wrong! Plus if we get the CD on time, even better :)

For foreign customers Play.com is not cheaper than Amazon.uk.

Both have the limited edition, but without t-shirt!
If you want the t-shirt, you pay 8 Euro extra and you find it exclusive with www.cmdistro.de via the bands website.

Today the Japanese release came out and I surfed to their Itunes site.
There, I found out that the exclusive bonustrack was an instrumental of only 1:38 long. You also can hear 30 seconds of each song.

This time they have to pay more for less!
There's only 2 bonustracks and no plectrum, extra artwork, t-shirt.
I don't have "Wild Rose" so far and "Halcyon days" is not worth the extra €...

I would like to hear "Riding on the wind", which is Itunes bonustrack in Europe and USA(?). It would surprise me if that isn't just another Judas Priest cover; which probably will be on the limited edition of next album...

"I would like to hear "Riding on the wind", which is Itunes bonustrack in Europe and USA(?). It would surprise me if that isn't just another Judas Priest cover; which probably will be on the limited edition of next album..."

Well, it isn't a cover of Judas Priest...