First Celtic Frost, now TROUBLE...

Apr 24, 2002
Chicago, Illinois
www.novembersdoom.com
What the fuck is going on with my favorite bands lately? First Tom Gabriel Fischer, and now Eric Wagner... Damn...

WARRIOR SOUL's KORY CLARKE Is The New TROUBLE Singer - May 2, 2008

Kory Clarke of WARRIOR SOUL has joined legendary Illinois doomsters TROUBLE as the group's new frontman.

The news comes as the band returns to its Chicago base following a successful European tour.

TROUBLE founder and guitarist Rick Wartell explains: "It was a mutual agreement [between now-former TROUBLE singer Eric Wagner and the rest of the band to go our separate ways]. You need to follow your heart in this business and if you are not into it 100% then it is time to move on. We all felt it was the best thing for all parties involved. There are no hard feelings. I'm sure Eric will continue making music and we wish him the best."

Wartell went on to say: "We are very excited to have Kory step in and take over the vocals for TROUBLE. He's been one of my favorite frontmen in this industry for many years. He will add a new dimension that we can use. It's not like we just picked out some guy to fill in, this is one of rock's most dynamic and creative frontmen in the industry. I know that when TROUBLE fans get a taste of what Kory does they will not be disappointed at all. Anyone who has seen Kory with WARRIOR SOUL already knows what to expect, and it's awesome."

Wow, that's fucking crazy.....

Now, for me personally, I'm torn on this one. I happen to be a big fan of Kory Clarke, I loved him in Warrior Soul and even more recent stuff like Dirty Rig. I can definitely see Kory singing the Trouble stuff because he can get in that same range that Eric does. So I can see Kory sounding pretty good with the band, honestly.

But, Trouble is just so defined by Eric's vocals (as well as the dual guitar sound they have). It's alot like the Candlemass situation for me......Rob is an excellent vocalist whom I'm a fan of, but I have a hard time listening to them without Messiah on vox. I wonder if it's going to be the same with Trouble now? I will definitely give it a fair chance especially since Kory kicks ass, but what a shame that Eric didn't stick around.

I am still in shock over this one.
Though no one who has seen TROUBLE in the past 12 months should be TOO surprised.
Eric definitely seemed to be just going through the motions.
He still sounded great.

Anyhow, I look forward to seeing TROUBLE again at ALEHORN.

I guess because I was into Epicus long before I heard any other albums, I don't feel that Messiah is an essential part of Candlemass. I know I'm in the minority there. And I love Chapter VI as well.

Speaking of, are you going to Candlemass in a few weeks?

Well, I heard Epicus before the other stuff as well, and I too do enjoy the Chapter VI cd, as well as this new one with Rob. It's all good stuff definitely, but it's still my opinion that the definitive Candlemass "sound" is with Messiah on vocals. I know that some people like yourself don't agree and that's cool. I'm not saying Candlemass is no good without Messiah. But honestly, if I was listening to some metal radio station and a new Candlemass song (with Rob) came on that I'd never heard, I can't say certainly that I'd know whether or not it was Candlemass or Solitude Aeturnus I was hearing. I'm not saying the bands are identical or the "same band" but their style and sound are very similar. What truly set the two bands apart before was the difference in vocalists, more than any other factor. You're entitled to disagree, surely. But this is how it sounds to my ears, that's all. So when I say I have a "hard time" listening to them now with Rob, it's not because I think it's no good, it just doesn't sound as "definitively" Candlemass to me, if you catch my meaning at all.

As much as I am proud of my band and what we play and our abilities as musicians, I know that if Paul were to leave the band and we got someone else to sing, it just would not be definitive Novembers Doom anymore. We could possibly find someone else who could growl and sing great, but it wouldn't be the same.

Larry, I agree with you 100%.

Sometimes though, fresh blood is needed to keep a band moving forward. No way in hell Candlemass would have considered a US tour with Messiah. Though, on the flipside, you are right in that Messiah is definitive Candlemass.

It will be VERY weird to see someone else fronting TROUBLE. I never saw them with Kyle. Saw some YOU TUBE footage, and I can't say I was impressed (Sorry Pate)

I'm a bigger fan of Warrior Soul than Trouble. Now I'll actually be interested in hearing the next disc, whereas with Wagner in the band, I wouldn't even have bothered. That said, it's not at all surprising that this won't make long time Trouble fans happy.

Zod

I'm not saying the bands are identical or the "same band" but their style and sound are very similar. What truly set the two bands apart before was the difference in vocalists, more than any other factor. You're entitled to disagree, surely.
When a guitar player says that the only thing separating two bands is the vocalist, you can take it to the bank it's so.

Zod

I see a huge difference in the music, but I listen to those two bands constantly.

Considering that Solitude Aeturnus started out as basically a Candlemass tribute / worship band, there is a certain similarity in the music style.

I like both bands, but not a big enough fan of either for this to effect me at all.

Trouble on the other hand, I can understand Zod, when he says he wasn't a big fan of Trouble with Eric, but for me, Trouble is one of those bands I was into, and inspired me to start this band all those years ago, so it certainly effects me on a personal level. It's a sad day. Just as sad as Tom quitting CF. Two of my biggest influences walking away in 2 weeks time. Ugh.

I'm just glad that freakish Powerman5000/Trouble bill happened a couple years back. Not only got to see Eric front the band, turning my wife onto them in the process, but also got to hang out with him at a bar of ill repute.
Rock n Roll moment #2 on the top 10 list: Telling Eric Wagner goodnight because I got kicked out for falling asleep at the bar

I listened to "Monotheist" again the other day after putting it down for a while and it sounded fresh. I bought "Into The Pandemonium" a couple of weeks ago, and a few parts of the album will have to grow on me with as I listen to it more. I personally vote right now for a ND studio recording of "Dethroned Emperor".

"Into The Pandemonium" is not what I'd call an "easy listen", for sure. Even when I first heard it back in 1987, I didn't know what to make of it. So many parts of it just seemed odd, especially back then. But it intrigued me and I kept coming back to it. I don't think it'll have the same impact on someone hearing it for the first time in 2008 as it did back in '87. But I still think it's worth checking out.

One thing about Celtic Frost....you cannot listen to any one cd of theirs and judge them on it, because every cd they did sounds different from one another. Morbid Tales sounds different from ..Pandemonium, to Vanity Nemesis to Monotheist. And yet it's all unmistakably Celtic Frost. I'm in awe of artists who can pull that off.

"Into The Pandemonium" is not what I'd call an "easy listen", for sure. Even when I first heard it back in 1987, I didn't know what to make of it. So many parts of it just seemed odd, especially back then. But it intrigued me and I kept coming back to it. I don't think it'll have the same impact on someone hearing it for the first time in 2008 as it did back in '87. But I still think it's worth checking out.

One thing about Celtic Frost....you cannot listen to any one cd of theirs and judge them on it, because every cd they did sounds different from one another. Morbid Tales sounds different from ..Pandemonium, to Vanity Nemesis to Monotheist. And yet it's all unmistakably Celtic Frost. I'm in awe of artists who can pull that off.
You can't get Tom to go away for long, though...

Check out my sig pic, made by a friend. There's a lot of speculation as to who the drummer will be.

With Kory at the helm, Trouble just became interesting to me :)

Just???????
I take it you have never heard PSALM 9 or THE SKULL?
(and it's not like the rest of their discography is all that shabby either)

I vaguely remember WARRIOR SOUL from back in the day, from a few videos, and seeing them live once. It's weird though, as a lot of people seem interested in TROUBLE again, with the news of Kory's arrival.

I am hoping to catch them next Wed at NITE CAPS.

First... Havent posted on yer thing here in a long time... so yo again...

Now the meat of it... I seen "Trouble" with Kory Clarke on vocals Tuesday night and it was horrible. I had hope cuz Robert Lowe was seriously amazing w/ Candlemass [maybe he should take over for all doom legends when they are in vocal need] but it was like Taime Downe [which is totally his real name] fronting Trouble!!! Seriously i do not know what they are trying to do here but he doesnt fit . At all.. anywhere! They did Mr White so that was a nice-ish surprise but it wasnt any good by him. He should get fired from Trouble then maybe fired from life...

I missed TROUBLE at Nite Caps.
I heard he did a good job.
I consider myself a rather big TROUBLE fan, though can't get excited about a new vocalist.

Maybe they should have recorded a new album or at least an EP to get their fans more familiar and adaptable to Kory, instead of introducing him on a full blown US tour.

By the time Candlemass toured this year, their fans had been familiar with his contributions to the band on the new album. Much easier to accept him as a band member, instead of a fill-in.

Just my opinion though.
Replacing a vocalist is rough!