First clip of my EP, please listen!

Sounds quite good overall, but as some others said :

-vocals are a bit too predominant/loud
-the guitar tone is not the kind i like but i think it works well with your music/mix, but yeah you could have cut a bit of low mids (just a tad)
-the snare is a bit buried/dry

Apart from that nothing to complain about.

And the song snippet sounds good. Who's singing ? You ?

Also the funny thing is that the first seconds sound Hatebreed-ish, but then the big death metallish vocals and groovy swedish riffing/pattern kicks in :)

Thanks for the comments guys, like I said, defintely a first draft, but I really appreciate the honesty! Some things to address though; I don't find the cymbals in the least bit piercing, so I think that might be your headphones that I assume you're listening through Morgan. Also, everyone is talking about wool in the guitars or too much low mids, but listening today after sleeping on it to me it just sounds like most of it is from the bass (which is turned up way too loud, and potentially has too much of the mud frequencies Ermz was mentioning as well). But I'll experiment with cutting some of the wool, as well as eq'ing the vox to sit better (and possibly dropping them), and getting more wetness on the vox and drums! Also though, I'm pretty happy with the snare sound (besides its dryness), to my ears it's always audible and is popping fully :confused:

Also, well done Harry, I did indeed cut a fair amount at 6k because of the fizz I hate so very much, maybe I'll back those notches off...slightly :D

And the song snippet sounds good. Who's singing ? You ?

Also the funny thing is that the first seconds sound Hatebreed-ish, but then the big death metallish vocals and groovy swedish riffing/pattern kicks in :)

Haha, thanks dude, and the singing is actually a good friend of mine from college

Hey Marcus,

I'm glad all of these folks can articulate on the tracks faults better than I can. I still love it but that's because I'm no audio pro. I look forward to haring it when it's finished. My voice has yet to fully recover from laying down the vocals.

Djabthrash- That's me screaming.

Cool, thanks dudes - in truth, the editing on the vox for the last song isn't finished yet, and I'm still waiting on the recording of a couple of solos, so this was more just because I wanted to make a preliminary rough mix to know how everything stood thus far, so I'm gonna leave the mix alone for a bit and focus on finishing up the editing, and then hopefully will be able to tackle it from a fresh perspective! (definitely gonna change the snare, and maybe start from scratch with bass processing as well)

I'm surprised more people haven't commented on the bass though, good or bad (I'm having a hard time quite deciding for myself)

woolkiller.png

LMAO

Just do a fast listening and sorry to say this Markus but your guitar sound isn't that good than before (talk about your ep reamp preview, same track) imho. Not bad but where is this shining vibe:worship:
In total opposite, I really love voice tone (mix between Opeth and Bloodbath... fuck same singer:lol:, mean that Swedish tone on vox):headbang:

i would bring the hi hats and other cymbals up more to match the crash cymbal going on in the left speaker. perhaps some compression and some light reverb on the cymbals as well.

Its sounding a lot better, but to be honest still not great. There's not really one thing that you need to change, everything needs slight improvements here and there. And the vocals need to come way down.

I'm surprised more people haven't commented on the bass though, good or bad (I'm having a hard time quite deciding for myself)

The bass is very middy, sounds mostly around 500hz. Not much lowend on it, and not much highend. It's a nice tone but I don't think its complementing the guitars too well.

I like the drums now, kinda raw. The crashes are really hardpanned maybe thats why I'm finding them piercing, they really stick out.

Hey Marcus,

If you're using SD2.0 for the drums, CRANK UP THOSE ROOM MICS. Honestly, that is what gets me most of my drum tone from that sampler. I either used the Nir Z or the Black Beauty on the Untruth stuff, and I absolutely loved smashing the hell out of those room mics. In fact I only put reverb on the drums after for peace of mind, not because it was necessary, and even so that verb made up like 5% of the ambience. Those rooms are a total weapon, so make sure to use em. Here's a drum example: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/285689/Forum/Compressor Shoot-out/bass-6.mp3

The rooms provide the early reflections and subtle fattening of the drums that you don't get solely from direct tracks.

Hey Marcus,

This sounded much better than I expected after reading all the strictly comments. If you stay tuned, this will be a great mix in the end! The guitars could sound a bit more agressive, but the other elements are very good sounding each for itself alone, especially the vocals! I really dig the riffing, the bass sound and the vocals (WOW). Good work so far!

The cymbal stuff is a bit too wide left imo. And I would spend a bit more room to the snare. Again..the singer is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! Expressive and brutal. Looking forward to the finished E.P :)

Marcus, looks like your main enemy is lack of ambience here (vocals/drums) to complete the mood you're after. Once you sort that you'll be on the way i'm sure, and afterall this is only a first demo. It seems the vox are certainly heading in the Opeth direction, so i'd get morningrise on and listen to the ambience on that for your reference- I know those guys have epic verbs on tracks like black rose! Vox are also a little loud- the extra verb might serve nicely to pin it back, give it a bit of space in the mix and smoothen it out nicely. I think the bass guitar might be operating at its best in the wrong region a little, im feeling a lot of midrange (and don't get me wrong, i LOVE the jazz bass grind) but I reckon if you can get a little more beef from it then all the better. Finally, liking the riffz for sure- the guitar tone, not as much as usual, and I know you can do better too :D At the moment, it's carrying a fuzz/fizz I usually pin on modellers which im not too fond of, (you're going to kill me for that arent you LOL) so maybe it turns out i just dont like that frequency in a guitar amp - this might be the tone that people refer to as wooly- not sure. Cant wait to hear it once this is done either way ;)!!!

I'd lower vocals a little bit and add more reverb/delay to them, crank up the room mics in Superior 2, more verb to the snare and eq a little bit of mids out of the bass in the 300-500 range. I think the guitars are fine but since everything is mid-heavy, the bass is pushing it too much.

All of this has been said though, IIRC. Pretty cool riffs btw!