First gig on the 2008 tour (mini review)

New Metal Member
Mar 4, 2008
Valby, Denmark
Just got back from The Rock at downtown Copenhagen where Brainstorm just played the first concert on their Downburst tour. I know you all want me to say that is was a kick-ass concert, but I exited the venue with mixed feelings.

First of all, the turnout was rather bad. I know that Brainstorm is not exactly big in Denmark, but come on! Not even half full, and The Rock is a very small place. I am somewhat ashamed on behalf of my fellow Danes.

That aside, the band was without Torsten, although his replacement (whose name escapes me, it is late) did a good job, it was not the same. Some of the solos were completely different, which was ok in some cases, but not in others.

Worst of all, during the third song (Fire Walk With Me) we could hear something was wrong with Andy's voice and he had to stop singing halfway through. Afterwards he sincerely apologised about this, and said that he had some sort of cold, but hadn't thought it would affect his voice that much. I almost thought that they would end the concert right then and there!

A few minutes passed, and he apologised once more, but said that they'd continue, but that he didn't knew how long his voice would last. Then followed a few songs with Andy at about 25 % capacity. Later it got to about 50 % when he had warmed up a bit, but it was nowhere near the Andy we know and love.

I am really impressed with the fact that, despite Andy's lack of voice, they did managed to play for quite a bit more than an hour, a credit to the dedication of both Andy and the rest of the band.

After the show was over, with huge applauses (for a small crowd), Andy did promise a 2+ hour show the next time they played in Denmark as an "apology" for his lack of voice. There was no doubt that the rest of the band DID deliver, as my neck and shoulders are still a bit sore. :lol: A special mention goes out to "new guy" Antonio. He did a great job, with great stage presence and groovy bass riffs. :headbang:

So not Brainstorm at their best, even though slightly amputated they still kick behind. I hope that the illness plaguing the band will not affect the rest of the tour. Get well Andy, and I hope and pray that your next show on Danish soil will be from a Brainstorm in full force!

Cool to see that Antonio did well. Very unfortunate with the other things though, if Thorsten would had been there he would probably taken over the vocals.

Just got back from The Rock at downtown Copenhagen where Brainstorm just played the first concert on their Downburst tour. I know you all want me to say that is was a kick-ass concert, but I exited the venue with mixed feelings.

First of all, the turnout was rather bad. I know that Brainstorm is not exactly big in Denmark, but come on! Not even half full, and The Rock is a very small place. I am somewhat ashamed on behalf of my fellow Danes.

and two of those people where from vienna :headbang:

well, you are right, it was not the 100% Andy who we know, but still, it was a great brainstorm show.

andi also explained why Todde was not here, he also was still ill. the replacement guy was Tom Neumann, I have seen them many times in other Bands like Metalium, Sinner, Primal Fear... it seems, that he can stuy a copmplete set very well and very fast. :kickass:

to the location, well, it was a really nice "club". when i go to a gig in vienna (mostly planet music) its always full, always hot and always stinky, and many people in the crowd are just there, because they had time (not really die hard fans). I prefer a small crowd like in copenhagen who are 100% with the show as 1000 people where more thand 300 are just standing around.

I hope Andy´s voice become well til the gig in vienna, I am really excited.:worship:

Hello,
I'm not here very often but Brainstorm belongs to my favourite bands.
Good to read that someone started writing here and told about the first gig of the tour.
Yesterday I was in Hamburg to see Brainstorm.
First of all: In my opinion it was a venture playing as a headliner in such a big venue in the middle of the week. The "Markthalle" was nearly half filled.
In Hamburg the opener was a local band called "Fire". They rushed through their set without impressing me in any case. Same with Pagans Mind.
But this is just my personal feeling. Maybe a second headliner would have put more metalheads from their sofa.
Brainstorm was warmly welcomed with screams and big applause when the intro from the "Downburst" started and the sound of "Fire walk with me" cought the rest of the audience. But it was easy to get that something was wrong with Andy. After the second song Andy told about his flu. He had fever and an aweful cough but smiling to the audience and saying that they didn't want to cancel Hamburg. I guess we saw one of the hardest concerts for Andy. Whenever he had a break he went at the side coughing and drinking.
Even worse for him that "Todde" hasn't be there. So it was up to Milan to do the background.
The audience was wonderful. Maybe you think this word is too flowerish for describing a audience of a powermetal concert. But the more problems Andy had the more intensive the fans worked with the band.
It was easy to party with the band. The setlist was a great mixture of the last four CD's. With phantastic songs like:
Shivas Tears, Highs without lows, Hollow Hideway, Under lights, How do you feel and many more. Sorry, I couldn't get the selist. The crowd in the frontline was faster than me.
The concert ended with "All those words" and a relieved but happily smiling band.
It was an extraordinary concert. Normally the stagework of Andy takes a lot of my attention. In my opinion he's the best german fronman but I must add: it's the music that stands for itself.
I had a great party and to Andy:all my best wishes for the tour.
And to all of you: go out and see the shows-it's worth it!

:kickass:

Hello,

yesterday I went to the pratteln show
it was really great! despite the poor attendance... even if it was a tuesday
swiss fan could make an effort....

set list was

1- Falling Spiral Down
2- Blind Suffering
3- Worlds are coming Through
4- Shiva's tears
5- Fire walk with me
6- End in sorrow
7- Highs without lows
8- Shadowland
9- Hollow hideaway
10- doorway to survive
11- Painside
12- Inside the monster
13- How do you feel
---------
14- Redemption in your eyes / but they did not play it :cry:15- Under lights
------------
16- All those Words

and for your info, powerwolf setlist was
1- We take it from the living
2- Prayer in the dark
3- we came to take your souls
4- saturday satan
5- in blood we trust
6- mister sinister
7- vampires don't die
8- lupus dei

unfortunately I did not know pagan's mind enough to remember all the songs.

keep rocking
Jon

wow, i expected that they would play more new stuff.
did andy still have problems with his voice? and did thorsten return to the tour yet?

Yes, Todde is alright again and Andy as well!

Tom Naumann was even there yesterday (Rockfabrik Ludwigsburg), but as a special guest for the last two songs.

Ok, little review from me.

Powerwolf: they are not that "special", but I like the easy-going music. It was ok for an opener!

Pagan´s Mind: wooow, some cool songs from those guys from Norway. I liked the show also, and I will check out some of their stuff.

Brainstorm: yeah, the long awaited homeplay! Believe me folks, the guys were excellent, in great shape and mood. Setlist is the same as posted above.
The audience...was great as well, but to be honest, I had expected a few more people. The Rockfabrik was "quite full", but...Brainstorm...area of Stuttgart...you should think that the venue would burst :)p), but somehow people hat something better to do.

Anyway, the show was excellent, people and band(s) had a great time.

Hey

We have posted another review from the Copenhagen show, together with a bunch of pictures at our site, www.metalmoments.net, and I thought I'd share some sample pictures from it with you (there are many more at our site, if you're interested). Enjoy!

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

Great to read that Andy is ok again.
Good page!
Well, I also expected to hear more songs from the recently released album but for the party-atmosphere it's better to play mainly old songs.

The gig in Vienna was pretty cool. Andys voice was great :kickass: and the mood of the band was wonderful :headbang: , they were kidding around, also few jokes with the audience etc..., but Todde still wasn´t there

in Copenhagen Andy said something like Todde is ill. in vienna it was about private reasons - strange. I hope the best for Todde (Gute Besserung)

Hello,

yesterday I went to the pratteln show
it was really great! despite the poor attendance... even if it was a tuesday
swiss fan could make an effort....

set list was

1- Falling Spiral Down
2- Blind Suffering
3- Worlds are coming Through
4- Shiva's tears
5- Fire walk with me
6- End in sorrow
7- Highs without lows
8- Shadowland
9- Hollow hideaway
10- doorway to survive
11- Painside
12- Inside the monster
13- How do you feel
---------
14- Redemption in your eyes / but they did not play it :cry:15- Under lights
------------
16- All those Words

Jon

A very weak setlist imo. Almost a repetion of the last tour setlist.

And ending a show with a new song before an encore ?!

They're negleting completly the first 3 albums. Why? is beyond me :(

I hope the setlist for the summer festivals gets a big improvement and they revisit the first 3 albums and play song songs of them that they don't play a long ass time.