First Intel-based Macs released today

SPLASTiK said:
The Rev A PowerMacs had Firewire problems I'm pretty sure. If I remember correctly it was only the ones on the front.

And the first gen iMac G5's had overheating problems causing the PSU's to fry I believe, also problems with hard drives, cheap capacitors and video problems.
Apple fixed this by replacing all the faulty ones free of charge.
http://www.insideapple.com/articles/iMacG5_reliability.php
http://www.insideapple.com/articles/iMacG5_REP.php

And I remember problems with late 2004 models where the CD drive wouldn't open after 2 hours of using the computer, and the computer would freeze during video intensive useage. That was later fixed with updates.

I stand corrected. I've been very lucky with my Macs (knock on wood) over the years. :cool:

gumplunger said:
Ever wonder why a AMD 2.4 Ghz matches up to a Pentium 3.0? It's cause megahurtz don't really mean all that much.

Megahertz/Gigahertz are only one of MANY factors in the speed of a CPU. So it's very possible for a DUAL CORE Intel 1.83 GHz chip to be 4x faster than a single 1.67 GHz IBM G4 chip

Kazrog said:
Megahertz/Gigahertz are only one of MANY factors in the speed of a CPU. So it's very possible for a DUAL CORE Intel 1.83 GHz chip to be 4x faster than a single 1.67 GHz IBM G4 chip
Exactly.

Bah, the everlasting 'speed' issue.

For everything I do with a computer my Powerbook G4 17'' 1gigahertz it's good. Don't need something faster unless I wanted to play 3D games (I don't care for this) or for heavy 3D Maya processing (don't need this either).

When time will come to buy a new one (hope to stick with this for a loooong time, given the price I paid, for now 3 years without any glitch apart from the occasional MS Word crash) they will be a lot faster than anything five minutes before. Why bother?:err:

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
very funny

Everyone I know with AMD processors has compatibility problems with music software that present some weird challenges for them getting things done on a daily basis. Obviously that's a Windows issue, not AMD's fault, but worth noting.

I think in the long term we're going to see Intel leapfrog over AMD, even though AMD has some advantages right now.

yea i did the whole osx86 thing. it works but not perfect. basically i didnt have any drivers for sound. though you can get sound with a sse3 capable processor, but you wouldnt be able to do any recording stuff. also the video is only one resolution unless you use the same chipset and everything they tested with. still was fun.

Kazrog said:
Everyone I know with AMD processors has compatibility problems with music software that present some weird challenges for them getting things done on a daily basis. Obviously that's a Windows issue, not AMD's fault, but worth noting.

I think in the long term we're going to see Intel leapfrog over AMD, even though AMD has some advantages right now.

thats more complete crap.

NEVER had a chipset related problem with AMD, not with music, not with anything!

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
thats more complete crap.

NEVER had a chipset related problem with AMD, not with music, not with anything!

Perhaps you should talk to my friends then. Obviously, it depends on what software you're using. Most specifically, they have issues in Sonar.

Kazrog said:
Perhaps you should talk to my friends then. Obviously, it depends on what software you're using. Most specifically, they have issues in Sonar.
before i swithed to mac i used only amd machines for the longest time and never had any problems. so my experience was good with them. cant say the same for the operating system:confused: i even used sonar for a little bit too. hated it though on a side note.

abigailwilliams said:
yea i did the whole osx86 thing. it works but not perfect. basically i didnt have any drivers for sound. though you can get sound with a sse3 capable processor, but you wouldnt be able to do any recording stuff. also the video is only one resolution unless you use the same chipset and everything they tested with. still was fun.

Yeah, it's still in it's infant stages though. Once all the Intel version apps/drivers come out I suspect it will be a lot better in that depatment. Fun to mess around with and a lot of stuff is useable but for serious applications it'll be a while.

Question guys...This doesn't mean the regular G5s will lose support any time soon eh?? I got a G5 a few months ago. I don't think they will, since people are running Tiger on G3s still. I just want to make sure I'm still safe.. Thanks

-Joe

J.DavisNJ said:
Question guys...This doesn't mean the regular G5s will lose support any time soon eh?? I got a G5 a few months ago. I don't think they will, since people are running Tiger on G3s still. I just want to make sure I'm still safe.. Thanks

-Joe

No, Jobs has long said that they'll continue to support all the PPCs as long as they're able. Seeing that they're still seelling PPC PowerMac G5's until towards the end of this year, I'll say they'll be supporting them for a very long time afterwards as most users will be using PPC models and they wouldn't want to screw over the entire user base.

I bet if they ever did have to make a choice which I doubt would happen for at least 5 more years if not longer, they might offer a good exchange deal for a new model. Seems like something they'd do.

Kazrog said:
I don't disagree with you in principle, but I can't think of a recent example of first-gen bugs with Apple machines (last 5 years or so.) :err:

I bought a REV A B&W G3 back in '99, and the G3 started billowing blue smoke when I plugged an external FW 120 GB HD into it. Apple refused to acknowledge this problem (duh), so I ended up having to buy a 3rd party PCI FW card in order to be able to use FW on that machine, because the internal card had died. Same thing happened to a friend of mine, only with an external FW CD burner - his burner actually caught fire instead. Guess that's where the name came from :)

So much for my REV A experiences...

:headbang:

Kazrog said:

A friend of mine who has a studio here has weird FW problems with his REV A G5. While the front port works just fine, the rear port has intermittent data flow issues (this is only the FW 400 port..the FW 800 port is ok)