First paid DECENT job

zer0_c00l

Dec 18, 2006
Hi guys, I learned A LOT about production and recording, after the recording of my band's album.

Now I found some guys that were interested in working with me.

Just finished their pre-production and I would like some feedback.

Here's one track, remember this is just PRE-PRODUCTION so I just want you to give feedback MUSIC-wise, not mix-wise nor sound-wise.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7629544/Platinum/pre02.mp3

Awaiting feedback, thanks.

Cumps

Oh, sorry, I moved the file and forgot to update the link.

It is now fixed!

Awaiting feedback...

Hey, do you just come here to say it's the wrong link? I fixed it now so, what's wrong about it?

It's been 3 days since I updated it...

I'm a bit puzzled. It's not your band, you did some pre-production work for them, yet you want an opinion on the song "MUSIC-wise, not mix-wise nor sound-wise". Why? To let the guys know they wrote a good song.
I don't actually have an opinion on the song - there's no vocals, hard to get the overall picture. Some parts sound interesting, some are boring.

Thanks for your reply cent73, as I may not have said, i am (or trying to) producing them, so what i present here is just some riffs that they gave me and I tried to help by "refining" them and structuring them, so basically I want to know if to your ears it sounds good musically (and not receiving comments like needs bass, because this is just the idea of the song so it's just guitars and drums), that being the reason why I called it pre-production (correct me if I'm wrong as this is what I have been taught).
In the method I was thaught (and it's the most convenient to me), the vocals are only done after the instrumental is recorded, and so it's what i do.

Yeah, pre-production is basically making a draft of a song, demoing it to get the general idea what a song is like. This is oftentimes done when an artist has some ideas but isn't sure if the songs are completed or if they need fine-tuning. Thus the demos don't have to sound exceptionally well - they're sketches. But they could be as complete as possible.

Having said that, the song lacks vocals, possibly solos or some other themes, which could totally influence any opinion. I think I can guess where the verse and the chorus are, but what about the bridge or solos? What kind of vocals are there to be? It's really hard to give you some definite advice then. Generally riffs are OK and transitions sound fine, too. Seems like a quick, compact song. Hopefully there'll be some drum rolls. Typical thrash metal from the 80's.

I don't know if it's helpful...

That's right, this is just the draft of the song, there's no vocals nor solos and only a few leads exactly because I want the band to get more and new ideas.

Drums were revised (new breaks, cymbals here and there) yesterday, I'll start recording bass today...

Bass and rythm guitars are done, today will be lead, but don't know about vocals because the current one will have to leave and don't know if they can get another one.