First post, first attempt...

pete2008

New Metal Member
Mar 17, 2008
HI everyone, brand new to these forums :)

So i've been playing around with ezdrummer and drumagog, having NEVER had any prior experience with programming drums or anything of the sort, and i was wondering if some of you who are more experienced with this kind of thing can give me any tips on making my first drum track sound better then it does:

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/33799-Drumtrack1mp3.mp3

cheers for any help/advice

The programming is pretty solid. There are a lot of kick-snare stretches that could use maybe an extra kick here and there or a short fill to break up the monotony, but there's nothing wrong with monotony in and of itself if that's what the song demands. A lot of the tom fills were good. I think you have good feel for crashes. In general, the slow parts were quite good. But I have some tips:

1. If you're using EZDrummer, turn Humanizer on!!! The sound is ultra-robotic.

2. Stop using Drumagog or use acoustic samples instead of the electronic/fake ones. The basic kit that comes with EZDrummer has way better sounds than these. Does Drumagog have a humanizer or randomizer function or something like that?

3. Don't compress so much. You've got outrageous pumping happening during the blast-fills...unless that's what you were going for. If you didn't compress, then it's something to do with Drumagog (I've never used it) or you've got REALLY bad samples for playing at that speed.

The only issue is really with the sounds, not the programming. To really judge programming, we'd have to hear the whole song, but you've got the feel for it, so that won't be a problem.

Hope that helps...or at least I hope it didn't sound stupid :)