First Production - Need Feedback

ADRSean

Apr 18, 2008
Ok so this band around here is a great friend of mine. I just got into doing production/mixing and mastering. Right now I don't have good monitors so I can't pick up on high end buzzing or anything, but my headphones are pretty good (80 dollar bose ones)

The drums were recorded using a couple of extra usb mics rigged up to pick up the sound without distorting, and a room mic and a overhead. Then oversampled using EZDrummers Drumkit From Hell then resampled a bit more using DrumAGog and andy's snare and a snares/kicks/toms I sampled myself.

The guitars were done rough because we had no choice, this is a NO budget operation. We miced up a cabinet and played the songs removing any access noise and hum from the room. It sounds good now, but maybe some buzzing.

Vocals were done using an Audio-Technica USB mic. Good quality, just not big studio. This is an unsigned venture and we tried our best, and my first time really trying to mix and then master it. This is how it suonds now, and it's not done yet. Levels are a bit off (kick is too high for example.) and the vocals need to be a little tweaked. They aren't metal, so don't laugh, but I do it all. I really want some honest advice and opinions and how to improve this stuff without spending too much or nothing at all haha.

The band wants an organic sound, not to sound overproccessed, and to sound like a raw recording so they dont want me to autotune or do anything like that.

here's the mix

- http://www.sendspace.com/file/800cvf

guitar tone needs a lot of improvement, its seriously thin and has no muscle.

Is there a bass at all? because it needs one really badly ;)

Vocals are pretty well recorded and even.

Joe

Bass isn't done yet no ha. So yeah. The guitar tone, i don't know what to do because the band tells me it's their live tone don't mess with it. Thanks for the compliments.

Make two mixes and have them pick which guitar tone is better, yours or theirs.

Ha good idea, if you guys will listen, ill post the new tone and bass fix when im done.

BTW do you have any plugins that are good for changing amped guitars? No Dis because it was of course, their stupid recording method that has me here trying to mix and master an amped cabinet directly.

I don't think there are any plug-ins that will help post-recording. Try EQing it a bit and/or compressing (try parallel compressing) but apart from that you're probably out of lukc. I haven't heard the clip because Sendspace is constantly full and never works for me anyway - try Soundclick or Dropbox.

OK, ill create a soundclick account. Thanks for the advice man. Those guitars have been compressed/eq'd already to get that haha. Sad but true.