First proper post from me: A couple of recent mixes.

PhilR

Studio Scapegoat
Feb 13, 2007
Nottingham, UK
www.stuckonaname.co.uk
'ello folks. This is a couple of bands I recorded in the last few weeks. I thought I'd throw them out there for judgement, and if you like the bands then thats all good too.:)

First up is a band from Mansfield named Mel Gimpsuit. This is a track named You havin' a f***in' laugh?: Download

I'm not sure of all the gear specs as I never really pay attention to any of that, but I think the guitars amps used were a Randall RM100 and one of those little Marshall MG100HDFX heads. Both through 4x12's miked with an Audix i5, CAD M179 and Shure SM57. Bass was DI'd using a Sansamp bass driver, and the Peavey 15" combo was miked with an Audix D6 and i5. Vocals were tracked through a Studio Projects T3.

Drums were a cheap Sonor 506 kit miked with Studio Projects B1's on overheads, CAD M179's on Toms, Audix D6 in the kick and Audix i5/Shure Unidyne III on snare top/bottom. The drummer was using a 12" Yamaha snare and Zildjian 'A' Customs.

Second up is a band from Leicester named Internal Conflict and a song named Lamb Feasts Upon The Jackal: Download

Drums for this EP were tracked with the band playing live in the room with all amps running and all guitars & bass were overdubbed again afterwards. Totally forgotten the amp setup this time but I know a Marshall Mode4 was involved. Cab & drumkit miking was pretty much the same as for the Mel Gimpsuit session.

ohohoh
sound foken great!
is the druns live or any samples?

sound really great - what i like!!!!

Yeah the drums are all live although in both cases I used an in-house BD sample. For the Gimpsuit tracks I also cut a sample of his own snare and blended it in with the original to enhance the transient snap.

in-house bd sample?
how can i get it - really like this sound!
and what you have used on it?

It's really just a sample of my old 22x14" Premier bass drum miked with an Audix D6. In truth I don't think I did anything to it, it just seems to have that "splat" sound to it that cuts through in a metal mix so well without sounding "clicky". I think that for the Internal Conflict tracks I actually layered both my sample and Andy Sneaps bass drum sample to get a blend of low end thud with a defined top.

I can upload them if you like, but I'm not at the studio at the moment.

Great mixes dude!! I like the second one the best though. Guess its just more my style music but i really like the mix.

Are any other drums sampled??

Great mixes dude!! I like the second one the best though. Guess its just more my style music but i really like the mix.

Are any other drums sampled??

No just the BD I think. Haha, I can't remember what I did with my own mix. :lol:

There's some more stuff on the way, we've still got a 2 song thrash metal demo to finish mixing. Anyone like hardcore punk/powerviolence? We've done a bunch of that.

yeah i really like powerviolence) hehe
whant to hear your stuff!