First Recording!

iFake

New Metal Member
Sep 28, 2011
Well, after a couple weeks of here and there recording and editing, I finally have a rough mix before adding the lead vocals. I was hoping to get some input on how my first time was. Its actually me and another guy who did all the recording. He played guitar, and I did most of the editing on my computer and the rough mix. As a heads up, I use Cubase 5 for my DAW.

My recording methods are as follows in case anyone is wondering:

- I used MIDI drums through Cubase's GrooveAgentONE. I used random drum samples I found through out the net. All drums are EQed and compressed by me.
- I track everything through a audio track set up only for recording, then cut & paste it into the appropriate event track.
- All rhythm guitar parts are tracked once, then I double the track and pan one left and one right. Both at about 65.
- Lead guitars are single tracked and not split or panned.
- All guitars including bass ARE recorded DI, then put through the Peavey ReValver VST plugin.
- Vocals are single layered.
- The only bass drop is a Joey Sturgis sample.

THIS IS NOT MASTERED!

Thats about all I can think of for now. If you want more information, please ask. So, without further a do, here it is:

:headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
Other people will probably say this, but when recording rhythm guitars NEVER just record one track and then double it. It is just doubling the volume, not giving the wide sound you want.

Other people will probably say this, but when recording rhythm guitars NEVER just record one track and then double it. It is just doubling the volume, not giving the wide sound you want.

I got this method from two studios. One which is really successful, hence the reason I used this method, haha. What would you suggest?

I got this method from two studios. One which is really successful, hence the reason I used this method, haha. What would you suggest?

The two studios that told you to do this are wrong. Always double track rhythms and when I say double track, dont just track it once and copy the same thing over and pan it the other way. Record a riff, e.g: mute, mute, mute, mute, pinch, mute, mute, mute and then do EXACTLY the same riff again and pan it the opposite way. Basically, record everything twice.

Okay, thanks for the info on that. But, is anyone gunna give me any criticism on my recording? haha.

On the other note, can you elaborate why this gives you a supposed "wider" sound? What makes this differ from my method?

Anyone at all? I figured from viewing this forum was more active, haha.

Or if you don't wanna record it twice, copy the first recording and nudge it over just slightly so that the peaks and whatnot don't line up perfectly.

Also, when you pan left and right they should be panned at 80% to 100%.

panning identical guitar takes is no different that pushing your fader up... it's literally just a volume increase. the only other outcome i can think of would be fucked up phase artifacts. LEGIT doubling your guitar takes is far superior. when done properly, it just sounds right.

as for criticism, sounds better than my early recordings, but it still sounds like an early recording. that's the nature of the game. it takes time to get good. snare is all attack, no meat. there's too much low end and too much sizzle in the guitars (hi and lo-pass filters are your friends). also, around 2:40 there's a bunch of weird low-end warbly stuff going on... bad x-fade or something(????). the timing edits sound pretty good.

panning identical guitar takes is no different that pushing your fader up... it's literally just a volume increase. the only other outcome i can think of would be fucked up phase artifacts. LEGIT doubling your guitar takes is far superior. when done properly, it just sounds right.

as for criticism, sounds better than my early recordings, but it still sounds like an early recording. that's the nature of the game. it takes time to get good. snare is all attack, no meat. there's too much low end and too much sizzle in the guitars (hi and lo-pass filters are your friends). also, around 2:40 there's a bunch of weird low-end warbly stuff going on... bad x-fade or something(????). the timing edits sound pretty good.

Thanks a lot! That helps a ton. I was thinking, after listening to other recordings, then comparing it to mine, that there was way too much low end to the whole mix. Could someone point me in the right direction of getting rid of that in total? Is it getting out low end from each track, or removing it somehow from the entire mix? Thanks in advance!

Thanks a lot! That helps a ton. I was thinking, after listening to other recordings, then comparing it to mine, that there was way too much low end to the whole mix. Could someone point me in the right direction of getting rid of that in total? Is it getting out low end from each track, or removing it somehow from the entire mix? Thanks in advance!

yeah, honestly it's hard to say exactly where you should make the cuts, but i'd start by high-shelving your guitars to get rid of some of that nasty fizzy stuff. another thing i'd do is add some meat to your snare by either EQing up some of the body frequencies (somewhere between 200-500hz) or doubling it and pitching the second one down a semitone or two. i wouldn't cut your lows on the whole mix, just find where the problem tracks are and EQ those.