First time poster, posting my stuff.

FastRedPonyCar

New Metal Member
Jan 24, 2009
Sup guys. I usually frequent the harmony central forums but decided to slide on over this way to get what appears to be more recording oriented info and feedback on my stuff. I'm thick skinned when it comes to criticism so I don't mind hearing that my stuff sucks provided that "and here's why" comes after it :p

Anyways, my whole setup from the tips of my fingers to the tips of the speakers is as follows:

Carvin DC135 or C66 -> Pedal board (typically an eden analog overdrive to boost and occasionally a dunlop 535Q wah) -> Splawn Nitro w/Ruby KT88's and ruby 12AX7AC5 HG+ pre's -> Splawn 4X12.

TC nova system in the FX loop.

SM57 mic'ing a 100 watt scumback XH75-LHDC and an E609 mic'ing a 125 watt earcandy greenmachine.

The mics go into an ART Digital MPA preamp (still saving up for that Avalon or Manley :cry:) and the two outputs of that go into an Edirol FA-66 firewire box into my PC.

For my software, I use Acid Pro 7, EZdrummer's drumkit from hell, drumagog, the sneap kick drum and tom samples, a pork pie (on my most recent recording) snare sample and the waves SSL Lord Algae presets slightly tweaked for the various drum components.

The sound leaves the edirol (as of yesterday) through a pair of Adam A7's but used to be BX8a's. Great budget speakers but the A7's whip em.

Anyways, here's my 2 most recent mixs of originals for our band.

Thanks for listening and providing any feedback. :D

http://www.drewlankford.com/music/newheavysong8.mp3

and then the most recent

http://www.drewlankford.com/music/heavy5.mp3

WOW, dude, damn, this mix sounds humongous (I'm listening to Heavy 4) - I'm trying to decide whether that's a good thing or bad, but overall I really dig it! A few things though, the snare has too many boxy mids at around 400, and is definitely too loud (as is the kick). Good god, what a phantom center image, this is seriously one of the most 3D mixes I've ever heard; did you use any kind of artificial stereo widening technique/plugin? OH's sound great!

Guitars sound good, though a bit more fizz than body IMO, which makes the pitch hard to discern - I can tell there's a lot of potential there though, Splawns give me a mega-chub!

SM57 mic'ing a 100 watt scumback XH75-LHDC and an E609 mic'ing a 125 watt earcandy greenmachine.
Anyways, here's my 2 most recent mixs of originals for our band.

I don't know what any of that is (except the mics of course ;)), is it all bass stuff?

And now listening to NewHeavySong8, pretty similar, though I think the snare is actually a bit too thin here (and a bit too much snap IMO), and kick once again too loud. Sounds awesome though!

This is indeed a weird mix.. i like it though!
It's like the snare is a bit panned to the left, and the kick is really out of the mix, but that's pretty cool.. i get the feeling you pan differently then the norm is, whatever the norm is anyway, if it sounds good go with it, right?

I think the guitars can come up a bit, or as Marcus stated could use more body for more presence in the mix.

Heavy 4 had an old snare sample. I updated it to heavy5 which has a pork pie sample. I think it sounds better but I'm a total noob to eq'ing drums.

The mic'ing stuff I mentioned is referring to the speakers in the cab. My splawn 4X12 has a pair of earcandy brand greenmachine speakers.

http://www.earcandycabs.com/product...17&PHPSESSID=ed2d0832b485fa971c2c2c01b17d10cb

And a scumback H75-LHDC and XH75-LHDC speaker pair

http://scumbackspeakers.com/x_series.html#x75LHDC

I've definately put a lot more time into heavy4/5. New heavysong was the first one I actually tried sampling on so it was a learning experience really and then in then in the next song (just called heavy) was where I actually applied all of those techniques.

For guitar recording, I'll typically record 2 rhythm tracks but not play them the same way. I'll play them close enough that they mostly overlap each other as far as what they're doing but I put a tiny bit of variation like maybe one extra note being played in a barchord or something like that so it's just a hair different. I just refer to these two recordings as track set A and track set B.

That gives me 4 total tracks for rhythm. From rhythm track set A, I pan one track (for example the sm57 track) hard left and the 609's track 50% right then from rhythm track set B, I'll take the 57's track and pan it 50% right and the 609 hard right. This way each rhythm track has a bit of itself in each side of the mix and seems to fill it out better.

For the 3D spread, I apply just a smidgen of waves supertap to both 50% panned track.

If the supertap plugin is used sparingly enough and the feeback for the taps timed exactly right, it can give that big wide sound without getting in the way or muddying things up.

Black neon bob, which track are you referring to?