First time recording band (need help) F# tuning

Charlez

Carlos Rosa
Jul 26, 2010
Puerto Rico
Well, this is my first time recording a band and I have a question about recording keyboards.

First this is the rough mix I just made after a whole day recording:

(there are no edits yet...and the guitarrist is pretty sloppy)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9799371/ROUGH MIX EILITHYA.mp3

Any opinions you could share about what to improve would help a lot thanks.

Now, I think the keyboard sounds pretty bad, because it's in mono. My interface only has one input and no midi in, so I have to record the keyboard like that. Do you record keyboards in mono or stereo? And if you record in mono, do you double track it? :S

Mix 2: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9799371/Song 2.mp3

actually sounds pretty fucking awesome to me. i love how the kick/bass/guitars gel.

Info on the kick sample and bass/gtr chains?

thanks bro!

Well thanks!! So you think the keyboard sounds ok?

Kick 10 > 35hz high pass, cut at 200hz small boost at 8k > CLA-76
I also have the Kick, toms and snare routed to a drum bus with the SSL Comp

Guitars are Pod Farm 2 (Big Bottom/Treadplate/Condenser) guitar bus has EQ, multiband comp compressing the low mids and a limiter

Guitar is a cheap Dean 7 string :rofl: We went to 4 different stores and couldn't find string gauges bigger than .46 -__- so to the fifth store we went...we
ended up buying a bass string for the low B...

Bass is Pod Farm 2 also > CLA-76 > EQ > Limiter (cheap $100 Rogue 5 string lol)

haha tuning low is pretty teenageish nowadays. my band tunes in drop d.

I find that defining musics worth by the tuning is pretty teenageish ;)

However, This mix is a little muddy, probably mostly due to the tuning. Sounds good though, as people mentioned the kick is a little loud. I would also compress the kick more. Keys sound fine, I might throw some stereo delay on them to widen them though.

keys sound VERY wack tbh, but i find that most bands that try to put keys in their songs write REALLY gay shit, so.... i help them re-write. =D

the way the low-end is, to me, sounds fucking awesome! shit gels in SUCH a cool way in the first :45 seconds or so...

Thanks for the input guys!

Stereo delay really helped on the keys, I'll probably post an updated mix when I get the vocals done.

d is nothing in this scene hahahh, thats what you call kid metal ahahaha, eg asking alexandria, oh dear..
is podfarm 2 much diff from the first one?

d is nothing in this scene hahahh, thats what you call kid metal ahahaha, eg asking alexandria, oh dear..
is podfarm 2 much diff from the first one?

The good thing about Pod farm 2 is that you can load single
amp and effect models into your daw without having to load up the whole plugin, and save CPU power.

Man... Now I really need some guidance.

We tracked vocals today...and the vocalist came unprepared! and he sucks... he couldn't even hold up a scream for 3 seconds :rofl:
So yeah this is the new mix with vocals, and it sounds like pure arse, I don't know what to do. Oh and by the way, the guitarrist doesn't even sing
but he insisted on singing a part so we did it, what can I do? :p It's terrible.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9799371/Song 2.mp3